Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have found a tall deck 427 . Will this engine fit under the hood of my 55, and also I have heard that other big block engine parts will not fit this motor is this true? Such as headers and intakes.

Thanks
Big John

·
Administrator
66,105 Posts
The 55/56 hood allows extra space under the hood compared to the 57.

Depending on what mounts you use, which is the least of your problems.

You also have to consider firewall, steering, headers.

The engine should fit under the hood :anim_25:

·
Registered
37,237 Posts
When they raise the deck, the heads move up and out by that amount. So now a standard intake is too narrow. They do make spacers for the intake.

The distributor is now too short, so you need one that's made for a tall deck engine. Or MSD has a few of their standard distributors with an adjustable collar so they can be used in either standard deck or tall deck applications.

Headers will fit the engine, but since the whole header moves up and out, it probably isn't going to fit the chassis.

So it's a real hassle to use a tall deck engine. The only common use is when you're building a very large cubic inch engine - 600" or bigger. And there the 427 tall block isn't used either, an aftermarket block with bigger bores is used.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I found that I had more room for fenderwell headers when using a tall deck block which was one advantage over a standard deck block.
Not sure how well normal headers that go down between the steering box and the motor would go but.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I had a tall deck that I was going to stroke to a 496 but changed directions because of cost and the heads being splayed out the extra .38
I was going to put it in my Chevy II but I would have valve cover issues and did not want to modify the firewall to make it work so I sold it.

You may be ok in a 55 but there is no advantage at all with a tall deck except they sell cheap. A standard BB deck is a better route.

Don

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had a tall deck that I was going to stroke to a 496 but changed directions because of cost and the heads being splayed out the extra .38
I was going to put it in my Chevy II but I would have valve cover issues and did not want to modify the firewall to make it work so I sold it.

You may be ok in a 55 but there is no advantage at all with a tall deck except they sell cheap. A standard BB deck is a better route.

Don
in a 55/57 , you will have problems with headers !

·
Registered
1957 Belair wagon, 51 HenryJ
1,878 Posts
I had a 366 in my 57. Used the spacers under the intake, machined off the collar on a dist and made an adjusting collar. Regular BB headers worked good, however they were not tri five headers. I had a large brake booster also. It was supposed to be a 427 but when I took it apart after a year I found it was a 366, so I went to a 396. I may be mistaken but do not a lot of big cubic engines use the tall deck block dimensions?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts