Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Y'all,

In a bid to finally defeat vapor lock (see long version below*), I am planning to install a Tanks Inc. EFI tank with internal fuel pump, a fuel cooler, and a return line. I would like to install a Classic Instruments tube-style sender and am looking for folks' experience with these. What sender length is necessary, and does the top of the sender clear the trunk floor? Any other input on either the tank or the sender?

Misc:
-- Yes, I know I linked to an 0-90Ω sender. I will be replacing my gauges and will use a compatible fuel level gauge.
-- I am still running a carburetor. I will be using a return-style pressure regulator to reduce the EFI pressures to appropriate carburetor levels.
-- All lines will be AN-6.

Thanks in advance,
Shawn

*Long version: My '57 apparently had dormant vapor lock issues, but it never got to the point of vapor lock because the car would always overheat first. Once I installed a Performance Rod & Custom radiator system, it was able to run without overheating, but started vapor locking in the Georgia summer heat. I have beaten the issue in most driving conditions by installing a rear-mounted electrical fuel pump and a return line (with 0.035" orifice) to the tank, but in gridlocked Atlanta traffic in hot weather, the vapor lock returns and the fuel pressure will drop to ~1 psi. I believe the main issue is the unpressurized 3' section of fuel line that runs from the tank to the pump (passing over an exhaust pipe on the way). This is with the engine running at ~190° F and no air conditioning.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Tanks Inc sells a compatible sending unit for their tanks and yes, it clears the trunk floor.

I see no reason to deviate from the sending unit that they sell for their tank.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I do know about the sending unit they offer. I'm not a fan of universal types like that one, which have to be adjusted for height and cut to fit.

The advantage of a tube-type sender is that it damps the effect of fuel slosh, so the needle doesn't twitch around.

Those are my reasons to deviate from the sending unit that they sell for their tank.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Got it...I think the depth of the tank from the mounting surface for the sending unit is about 6.5". I don't remember the exact measurement, but I know it was under 7". I was surprised at how shallow it is, but remember that the EFI tank has a good 1" deep notch cut out for the pump and sending units (which keeps them from interfering with the trunk sheetmetal).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts