Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55 4door I planned on getting running soon. I also have a running, driving 92 caprice I was going to put the drive train in a station wagon but it didnt come through. Now Im thinking of putting it in the 55.
My 55 hasnt been on the road in some time but the wiring harness isnt all that bad as far as being hacked.

1. Will the stock wiring harness, wires be okay to wire into the TBI?
2.Can I use the stock tank and get inline fuel pump?
I want this car to be a driver. I will also use the AC from the caprice and serpentine setup from the caprice.

Im sure this has been done a few times. I would get the painless wiring harness TBI conversion kit.

Attachments

·
Administrator
49,951 Posts
David i believe you will have to ahev a harness made to operate all the sensors and stuff for the TBI. That is what i did for the TBI i have in my 57. It is a stand alone harness that only needed to be tied in to a power source.
2-yes you can use the stock tank. I am running a Holley external electric fuel pump. But you will need to run a return fuel line also. I tied mine into the fuel neck.
My TBI setup is from the 1991-94 pickup and suburbans.
Terry

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,380 Posts
I have a 55 4door I planned on getting running soon. I also have a running, driving 92 caprice I was going to put the drive train in a station wagon but it didnt come through. Now Im thinking of putting it in the 55.
My 55 hasnt been on the road in some time but the wiring harness isnt all that bad as far as being hacked.

1. Will the stock wiring harness, wires be okay to wire into the TBI?
2.Can I use the stock tank and get inline fuel pump?
I want this car to be a driver. I will also use the AC from the caprice and serpentine setup from the caprice.

Im sure this has been done a few times. I would get the painless wiring harness TBI conversion kit.
Basically the TBI will be standalone from the car harness.

Companies like Howell and painless sell harness. They are standalone and pretty easy to use. I would use the complete TBI system that includes the Distributor so you will have ignition control.

The stock tank will work just use an inline pump and filter and make a return to the tank.

There are also companies that sell complete systems, not cheap though. But you can DIY pretty easy.

This is a must read for TBI http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45292

The TBI system can be easily made to work with any SBC.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
David, Painless makes a harness that will work for what you want to do. I put 90 TBI & 700r4 in this 56 wagon I restored 10 years ago and it works perfect. You will have to do some interface between the stock harness and the Painless harness but it is not bad at all if you have some basic electrical knowledge. Look them up @ www.painlesswiring.com and if you don't see what you need then give their tech line a call. I'm pretty sure I used either PN 60101 or 60201. :anim_25:

-Bruce

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
What is your budget

If you have the cash there are after market wiring kits for the tbi.

IMHO

I would 100% use the harness from the doner why not use what you have the biggest mistake I made on my first build was I purchased a wrecked 91 chevy van for $500 and drove it home I then pulled the engine and changed my mind about he TBI and spent probally another $900 carb dist ect.

I met a fellow Tri fiver at show last summer ad he used the complete harness from a caprice in his 55 including the headlight wiring and interior wiring he had some fab work but he made it all fit. As I recall he was in the complete setup for around $1000 and he even used the front perch mounts to mount the engine he took off the serpentine set up.

You can run an inline fuel pump for the tbi but it will need to be close to the tank but you may run into a problem on sharp turns due to stock tanks being baffaled it may miss as the fuel moves in the tank.

I dont think you can adapt the AC to your car but if you spend enough time and money anything can be done lol!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On the AC I just planned on using the ac compressor from it probably run under dash ac.
I dont mind spending the $300 on the harness for TBI. I have a friend who adapted his TBI ,harness from donor car but he said if he had to do it over again he'd probably buy the aftermarket harness to eliminate things he did not use. His car is very cold blooded til thermostat opens up. something about the car things is -20F outside when he runs the computer to diagnose it. He's a very good mechanic.

·
Administrator
49,951 Posts
You can run an inline fuel pump for the tbi but it will need to be close to the tank but you may run into a problem on sharp turns due to stock tanks being baffaled it may miss as the fuel moves in the tank.
I haven`t experienced any problems with my stock gas tank. And i have driven it through some curves at more than legal speeds, playing with the sway bars.:D

His car is very cold blooded til thermostat opens up. something about the car things is -20F outside when he runs the computer to diagnose it.
That is strange. Mine isn`t cold blooded at all. I am quite pleased with my TBI.
Terry

·
Registered
37,975 Posts
I can't imagine laying out the cash that Painless wants for a harness when it's probably still not all the electrical work you'd need to do.

If you have any electrical understanding at all, adapting the stock TBI harness to your car shouldn't be that hard. Especially if you have the donor harness for the passenger compartment too, which means you have all the mating connectors.

If you have questions on specifics, I'm sure you can get the answers here. I have a service manual for a 95 TBI truck and hopefully could answer a lot of your questons.

I don't understand the temperature thing. Something is wrong, and it problably has nothing to do with the swap if it's OK once it's warmed up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
may i offer another source for the injection harness?? i have used harnesses chips and pumps from affordable-fuel-injection. i have used 4 of his setups so far and have been really pleased with them. mine have all been donor engines from trucksfrom the early 90's using all the factory stuff like sensors, distibutor. i always get the harness ,reburned chip,and inline fuel pump.and its been less than 500 dollars shipped!! (((Now i do not work or have any intrest in his company. I am just a satisfied customer with his products.))) at any rate you can get complete systems or just just the stuff you need. check out his site or get his number and give him a call. Hope this helps someone out.

·
12,256 Posts
I agree with Rick...use the harness from the donor and adapt it to make it work. Painless stuff is $$$SPENDY especially if you don't need it and have a stock harness. It's not hard to re-do any of this stuff.

·
Registered
176 Posts
i have a tbi setup from a 91 silverado in my 84 el camino and it works greta i had the harnesses mated by instant injection in hesperia,ca and it works so good that i can go to any dealer and they can scan the codes etc...it is worth it to get the right harness.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tbi conversion

To the ppl currently running the TBI are you using the serpantine system? Im assuming side motor mounts. I might not use the power steering at first so I might by pass it. If any of you have pics that would be great too.

·
Administrator
49,951 Posts
To the ppl currently running the TBI are you using the serpantine system?
No i`m running a V-belt system. Was going to use a serpentine belt and had a problem with the pulleys and a rub. And yes i am using side mounts, but can`t see why you couldn`t use the front mounts. I have pics in my album here on site, and in my cardomain link too.
Terry
Terry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts