Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice on where to draw the vacuum for the TCI lock up kit. I have an Edlebrock carb. Should I draw vacuum from the ported or the full time vacuum port. I have the vacuum advance hooked to the ported, so is it ok to T that line if thats where it need to go?

Thanks

·
Registered
37,982 Posts
I've had better luck with the vacuum switch connected to the "ported" vacuum port. The reason is that with the "ported" vacuum the switch will open at very low throttle openings, the lock up will disengage, and that sometimes keeps the engine from "chugging" around town.

On the other hand, your vacuum advance should be connected to manifold vacuum. This helps low rpm throttle response, and that will help with how the engine acts at low speed too.

·
Registered
37,982 Posts
That makes sense, but if you use manifold it may be locked up too much of the time.

There's no harm in trying both - it's just a matter of how it drives with either, so use the one that drives best.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have a 700r in my 56.
I was going to post my thoughts but rick said it best.

There's no harm in trying both - it's just a matter of how it drives with either, so use the one that drives best.[/QUOTE

·
Administrator
9,086 Posts
If the switch is erratic due to low vacumn, you can adjust the vacumn switch with a small allen wrench..

Otis

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Another question

Ok, so I got the kit installed and it's going into 4th but I'm not sure about the lock up. I also put a trans temp gauge in. So can I assume that if the temp stays normal, which appears to be around 150, that everything's working properly. If it's not going into lock up will the temp start rising?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
If you have a tach you probably can tell. Mine changes about 200 RPM when the TC locks up. I also wired in a small LED mounted in the back of my ash tray that I can open and at least see when it is get power to lock up.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
That was my thought, are you sure your getting power to the transmission and does the transmission plug need a ground wire or is it a one wire TCC solenoid.
If you don't have a tach, you can usually feel the engine-brakeing momentairly when you let off in 4th gear.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I do have a tach, but didn't notice the lock up drop in rpm. I have not checked the voltage. I just rewired with the AAW kit, so i assumed it was there. I'll go check it just to be sure. But if it's not locking up wouldn't the temp go up? The plug does have a ground wire. I'll check the voltage and drive it again.

Well, good thing you suggested checking the voltage. Had none at plug, then I remembered I didn't put that particular fuse in because I didn't think I was going to use that circuit. Got power there now.

Now the lock up shuttles on and off rapidly, so now to adjust the switch.

Ok, lowered the switch setting and it's working!!! WOW what a difference.

Thanks for the input

1 - 13 of 13 Posts