Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys, hate to be a bother, but can someone tell me what is the correct sender to put in my 350 to match up with the 57 stock temp. gauge. Such as ohm value and etc, or where I can find this inf.
have a blessed day
bamagene

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,308 Posts
Check our sponsors.....Danchuk or Mutton Hollow......Rock Auto also has them....The 57 is not unique like a '56.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Temp Sensor: TPI Motor-Stock Gauge

Can anyone help me with this problem? I'd like to use my stock temp gauge with my '88 Camaro TPI motor. Problem: only place to install sender is in the cylinder heads and they are 3/8" NPT (Natl. Pipe Thread) whereas the '57 sender is 1/2"NPT.

What is the ohm rating of the stock sender? Can anyone give me a manufacturer and part no. that would work?

Thanks guys for any help you can provide.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,308 Posts

·
Administrator
65,744 Posts
Can anyone help me with this problem? I'd like to use my stock temp gauge with my '88 Camaro TPI motor. Problem: only place to install sender is in the cylinder heads and they are 3/8" NPT (Natl. Pipe Thread) whereas the '57 sender is 1/2"NPT.

What is the ohm rating of the stock sender? Can anyone give me a manufacturer and part no. that would work?

Thanks guys for any help you can provide.
Not sure of the temp rating but its like this one

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=933839&cc=1442175

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'll try the adaptor

Thanks for the heads up on the 3/8" to 1/2" adaptor. My local NAPA store didn't have that one and tried to put together a thing about 3" long which obviously won't fit around my headers. I'll try again locally or, failing there, I'll order it from Amazon.

angs1957, thanks, I know what I'm looking for but can't get thread size & ohm ratings from the manufacturer websites. I read somewhere in the Forum the stock '57 sender is 500 ohms cold and 80 ohms hot but wanted to verify that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
THE 56 IS DIFFERENT

Check our sponsors.....Danchuk or Mutton Hollow......Rock Auto also has them....The 57 is not unique like a '56.

SORRY FOR BUTTING IN I HAVE A 56 4 DOOR SEDAN WITH A 350 1998 CRATE MOTOR I AM HAVE TEMP PROBLEMS WITH SENDER FROM NEW MOTOR TO OLD GAUGE WHAT SHOULD I BE USEING THANKS PETE

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,968 Posts
SORRY FOR BUTTING IN I HAVE A 56 4 DOOR SEDAN WITH A 350 1998 CRATE MOTOR I AM HAVE TEMP PROBLEMS WITH SENDER FROM NEW MOTOR TO OLD GAUGE WHAT SHOULD I BE USEING THANKS PETE
56 is a one year only sender. The vendors or you may be able to get this one from your local parts store. ....... http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1326305,parttype,4748 .... If the parts store looks it up in their book, it will probably sub to the wrong sender.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Reply to HotRodHandyMan

You're right, I found out too that the '57 sender bottoms out in that adaptor. I went a step further & bought a 90 degree adaptor that gives you more depth for the sender to thread into + moves the sender away from the header. OR, I may try tapping the head for 1/2"NPT if there's enough room.

Heads up to all you guys out there planning to put a later model SBC in your 57 Chev & use the stock gauges. Be a whole lot easier to deal with this issue if I didn't have the motor in the car yet!

Still hoping there's someone out there that knows of a 3/8"NPT sender that has the right ohm rating. HELP!!!

·
Premium Member
15,799 Posts
You're right, I found out too that the '57 sender bottoms out in that adaptor. I went a step further & bought a 90 degree adaptor that gives you more depth for the sender to thread into + moves the sender away from the header. OR, I may try tapping the head for 1/2"NPT if there's enough room.

Heads up to all you guys out there planning to put a later model SBC in your 57 Chev & use the stock gauges. Be a whole lot easier to deal with this issue if I didn't have the motor in the car yet!

Still hoping there's someone out there that knows of a 3/8"NPT sender that has the right ohm rating. HELP!!!
There must be a smaller sender that has the same or a close ohm rating out there. Summit also sells a spacer that goes under the t-stat housing that has a threaded hole. I'm not sure off the top of my head what size the tapping is but that my also be an option for you.

Here is the spacer, It has a 1/2" NPT hole.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ctr-80-116/overview/

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sender Solution for TPI Motors w/Stock Temp Gauge

I know of no sender with the correct Ohm rating to match the stock '57 Chev temp gauge in 3/8" NPT, but the solution I used was to thread a 3/8"NPT male to 1/2"NPT female adaptor into the cylinder head, then thread a 90 degree adaptor into that one, followed by the stock 1/2"NPT temp sensor.

If you don't use the 90 degree adaptor, the sensor will bottom out in the adaptor, plus it sticks out so far it will hit your headers. Drawback is you probably won't get real accurate readings as the sensor is not IN the cylinder head. I'd suggest using an infared thermometer (cheap at Harbor Freight) to measure actual engine temps at various positons of the temp gauge so you know what's going on.

If you haven't installed your engine yet, the ideal solution is to tap the cylinder head for 1/2"NPT, but that's about impossible once the engine is installed in the car.

Hope this helps someone.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts