Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help.

I own a 1957 Chevrolet Belair Convertible and the temp. gauge is acting up.

When I run the vehicle at idle the temp gauge operates correctly.

As soon as I push on the gas pedal the temp gauge climbs with the RPM's of the motor until it spikes at hot.

I have confirmed the Belair does "not" run hot.

The gauge climbs as RPM's climb???

Have already changed the sending unit.

Is it electrical or the gauge?

Thanks for the help.

Michael

68,758 Posts
:hello: hi michael and welcome. good to have you here. my temp gauge isn't electrical in my 55 & 56. what kind of gauge do you have? :stupido2:

·
Premium Member
16,186 Posts
Need some help.

I own a 1957 Chevrolet Belair Convertible and the temp. gauge is acting up.

As soon as I push on the gas pedal the temp gauge climbs with the RPM's of the motor until it spikes at hot.

I have confirmed the Belair does "not" run hot.

Have already changed the sending unit.

Is it electrical or the gauge?

Thanks for the help.

Michael

Hi Michael, If you have an aftermarket or repro sending unit in the engine that is your problem. They just do not work correctly and aren't worth the cost of the box they come in. You need to track down an original either good used or NOS but it needs to be an original GM/Delco sender.

-Bruce

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
Need some help.

Michael
Welcome to TRI-FIVE!!!
I suspect that there is air in the cooling system. Run it with the radiator cap removed for a while to get the air out. Many new cars have a bleeder valve on the thermostat houseing for this reason.
57 and later senders will work correctly with the 57 gauge. 56 temp gauges are a one year only and need a different sender.

·
Premium Member
16,186 Posts
Another member here, "bamagene" just went through this same issue about 3 weeks ago with his 57. He did post about it and if you search his posts you will find them. He replaced the sender with an original used one and his problem was solved. I also went through it the beginning of September on a 57 and installing an original sender fixed the problem instantly. The aftermarket sender that the parts stores sell for 57 up (Usually a TS-6) WILL NOT WORK.

-Bruce

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
What he said!! I went through this with the 283 in my 60 Vette. Finally found an original sender with the dimple on the bottom and installed it and the gauge worked perfectly.

Don

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
WELCOME

:sign0016: to trifive MF:shakehands: :anim_25:with the 57... Later, Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.