Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am installing a Vintage Air AC/Heater unit on my 57 Chevy, which has a 305 SBC with a WEIAND 8120P STREET WARRIOR intake manifold.
This intake has 2 water ports one 1/2 NPT on the passenger side and one 3/8 NPT on the driver side. The original sending unit is 1/2 NPT in size so I was using the port on the passenger side for this. The problem is that I will need to use that port for the heater now.
I have seen 3/8 sending units, but do you know if they work with the original 57 Chevy Temperature gauge?
Can you suggest a sender that is 3/8 in size and would work with the 57 temperature gauge?

Please note that I have the original gauges and I do not want to add extra gauges or change to a modern gauge system!

Thanks in advance,
José A.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,833 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi David,
Thanks for your reply, but my question is if there is a sender that is 3/8 in thread size and would work with the original 57 temperature gauge?
Best regards,
José

·
52,833 Posts

·
52,833 Posts

·
52,833 Posts

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,527 Posts
you could just re tap the 3/8 npt hole to 1/2 npt. not hard at all on a aluminum intake.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I don’t know the size of the threaded hole and don’t have a picture, but chevy made a thermostat housing with a threaded hole in the backside. I run my gauge sender from the intake and run another numbered aux. gauge from the thermostat housing. I think both fittings have the same size hole/threads. If you google “Chevy thermostat housing with hole” you’ll see what I’m talking about.

Fuzz

:gba:

MAGA

·
52,833 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,175 Posts

·
52,833 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
If thermostat did fail, the sender on the intake manifold to gauge on dash would alert you right away of an overheating problem. I use the one on the thermostat housing to get an actual number temperature reading when the engine has been running a while going down the road so I can get/keep an eye on the most accurate temperature readings. I’m not worried about thermostat failing because of dash gauge. I’ve got a couple housings with the extra hole. The hole isn’t in the same place on them. My sender is pretty well hidden behind thermostat housing and hose. Also think it’s less conspicuous than the spacer option - my opinion. See these housings at swap meets for $2.00 - $5.00.

Fuzz

:gba:

MAGA

·
52,833 Posts

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,527 Posts
Good point fuzz....I still have one of those thermostat housings somewhere around the house somewhere....Found one here at Summit:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MInr_-0aHq3AIViMDACh2K7wiVEAQYASABEgKqE_D_BwE

Looks like, if the angle of the hose connection works out okay for you, it would be an option....It has the required 1/2" NPT port size.

those housings were never intended for a temp sender . they were created for a vacuum temp switch for smog junk.. I would not choose this option for the gauge sender.

·
Premium Member
16,175 Posts
Good point fuzz....I still have one of those thermostat housings somewhere around the house somewhere....Found one here at Summit:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MInr_-0aHq3AIViMDACh2K7wiVEAQYASABEgKqE_D_BwE

Looks like, if the angle of the hose connection works out okay for you, it would be an option....It has the required 1/2" NPT port size.

That housing also points right at the oil fill tube on an original engine unless it has FI, The FI tube angles to the other side. A squirrely top hose is going to be more conspicuous than a 1" spacer under the t/stat housing. If you don't have a fill tube then it isn't an issue with the angle other than the hose routing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts