Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished building a tent to cover my car in my shop so I can begin pressure blasting with glass beads. I plan to blast under dash and complete inside before installing the firewall, complete floor and complete trunk.

Attachments

·
12,256 Posts
I did my Nomad in a similar way, but I did it outdoors with a tarp to catch the sand to recycle it. I used silica sand and it took me about 40 hours to do it all, inside and out (yes I did use a good respirator). And that was only around the edges on the quarters and roof, inside the jambs, and didn't include doors, fenders, hood, or tailgate.

It's a lot more work than it looks. Good luck, and post an update!

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
It will take a patient man to blast an entire trifive with one of those small blasters...

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys.I am going to replace both complete rear quarter panels, complete floor and trunk , fire wall and other items so I won't have quite so much to blast.

Rick,
I have heard that crushed glass does a better job. I have 80 lbs of beads I will try tomorrow. If that don't work I will try sometime else.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Watch the heat on the panels, you can warp the sheetmetal rather easily. Dave

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
X2..

Are you sure you want to do glass beads?
My thots, also....
1. Glas beads will make SHORT work of any ceramic blast tip, steel feed piping, etc.
2. Air volume required to do that much blasting, will take a large compressor.
[Just doing the rear section of my 55 w/ an 80 gal/5 hp, took the compressor down. And, it was new.]
3. :anim_25:

·
Registered
104 Posts
I just finished building a tent to cover my car in my shop so I can begin pressure blasting with glass beads. I plan to blast under dash and complete inside before installing the firewall, complete floor and complete trunk.
Awesome. I like the idea.

I grew up just up the road in Fredonia...

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Thanks guys.I am going to replace both complete rear quarter panels, complete floor and trunk , fire wall and other items so I won't have quite so much to blast.

Rick,
I have heard that crushed glass does a better job. I have 80 lbs of beads I will try tomorrow. If that don't work I will try sometime else.
Well, how did you make out today? Were you able to get some blasting done?? How did the tent work??

Dave
:bowtieb:

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys. I tried out the tent today. It worked great.Would have made a big mess without it.The glass beads did not do very well. I used 40 lbs and only cleaned half of the A pillar.I am going to order some crushed glass to see how that works.

Randy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts