Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the GoodGuys Colorado Nationals this weekend. Cooler than usual for this show. Yesterday as cars were coming in and people were getting set there was a a pretty good breeze blowing A lot of people were setting up tents. By the time the show opened it was getting windy yet people are still setting up tents.

About 9 am the wind began blowing harder and was beginning to gust had already taken down a couple of tents and people were paying a little closer attention to their own tents. The Staff kept announcing over the PA system to please take down their tents or stay with them and not set up new ones until the wind died down....would most of them listen...not just No...but H#!! No! Some people did pay attention and took their tents down.
My B-I-L had his "A" sedan street rod parked up the hill from us on the main drag and there were some open slots next to him and two young couples in muscle cars pulled in next to him and immediately began setting up their tents even as the announcements were being made. Ed and a couple of other owners asked them nicely if they would wait and not set their tents up...they basically told them to mind their own business and set their tents up anyway telling everyone the tents would be ok as they were anchored down...Ed is downwind of these guys...then they all took off somewhere.
Yep, you got it! about 9:30 there was a micro-burst type gust hit...both tents took off and slammed into Ed's "A" and continued on and hit 2 or 3 other cars before several people managed to stop them.
Scratched and dinged up Ed's car pretty good on the drivers side...his "A" took the brunt of both tents...

Two "bruiser" type guys whose cars were also hit took the mangled tents over to the muscle guys cars and threw them, literally, onto the hoods of the 440 and Chevelle and waited until the owners came back. When the owners finally returned I understand they were told to get their ..... out of there in no uncertain terms or scratched up hoods would be the least of their worries.

I don't know if they left or moved somewhere else...not sure if any other cars were damaged by flying tents but there were a lot of mangled tents about later in the day.

Makes you shake your head in disbelief that some people are so arrogant and stupid!

·
Registered
19,596 Posts
That's another reason you won't see me or my car unless it is a weather friendly day... Later, Your fair weather friend Dave...

·
Registered
212 Posts
I don't make it to many shows because of my job. But the ones I have been too, the main issues are with non-car owners who feel that they have a right for their kids to climb into any car that is available. I have given permission for kids to climb in my car, but I am asked first. I cannot believe that these cars were damaged by actual car owners. If their insurance didn't take care of my car which I doubt it would because I haven't heard of being insured in case of stupidity, I would be making sure that their cars had an equal amount of damage from all the cars that they damaged.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Went to Estes park rodrun many years ago, maybe in the 80's, about the same thing happened, that's when tents or canopy's were a new thing, anyway a lot of bad feelings between car club members, club split if I remember right.:sad0049:

·
Registered
8,875 Posts

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
There is a mentality out there, and I for one don't understand it, that some just can't take well intentioned advice. I wouldn't have taken revenge, but would have demanded compensation for the damage.

·
RIP 11/24/2021
68,758 Posts
police report and ins. claim against the jerks, got hurt them in the wallet. :secruity:

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,632 Posts
police report and ins. claim against the jerks, got hurt them in the wallet. :secruity:
Really Carl, how would you make a police report on stupidity? If you could do that all the cops would be busy 24 hrs a day taking them:sign0020:

This sort of thing happens a lot unfortunately, had a friend have the same thing happen. If Goodguys was asking people not to do it they were acknowledging the danger and should have done more to prevent it. Usually when a event requests no pop ups they get right on th people that try to put them up.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Friend of mine (I think it was) authored a term 'agnorant', to describe the individual with sufficient talent to simultaneously display both arrogance and ignorance.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.