Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I was a judge at a local car show. I called and complained about last year and it was very bias towards v8's and only specific ones at that. Example, brand new v6 mustang with ONLY tinted windows won over some completely orginal but clean cars. So I got offered to be a judge.

To say the least it was a completely miserable experience.

Lets see:

1. They basicly judged a car by who had the largest wallet
2. They didn't care if any car was orginal , just how clean it was
Example, completely orginal, very clean 1954 corvete with a inline 6. They wouldn't even look at the car because it was missing a reservior, the air filter was messy looking and the interior looked used. I said the filter is suppose to look like that, its wire mesh and 56+ yrs old , interior looks wonderful for being orginal and its age, and the reservior could be a hard to find item.

It goes on for quite sometime, and we get to a 70's camaro the was near mint, but obvious restoration from a near rusted out car. He goes on to show errors and problems. But ultimately wouldn't judge it because the reserviors we're stained or orginal. He goes on to say that these items are 18 dollars at a parts store and still made to this day. :rolleyes:

Then it gets better, they go on to tell me how you can't judge a 250k+ car against a 100k car. I said the 100k car is an orginal 50+ yr old vehicle, and the 250k+ car is a mail order (hot rod magazine special) 69 camaro. Two totally different cars.

Then they kept comparing NEW cars with antiques. Didn't care to look at any 4 cylinders, even ones that were really clean and orginal (but still old).

Additionally they kept ignoring any cars that had even the most minor dent, or even a sligh wave pattern in the body (some cars came like that from the factory!)

It was just a miserable experience.

I felt like they didn't give any credit to anyone that had actaully put time in effort into a car. Only giving it to ones with a huge bank roll. I also feel like any car that wasn't a late 60's model, v8 mopar, chevy, or ford..didn't get credit.

There we're alot of awesome cars there, even some model t's that looked to be near orginal. They didn't even flinch at these cars!

Just makes me upset that they can judge like this, it takes alot more to keep a car in great shape for 60 yrs then to go spend 60k. I also felt they did most of the judging before 10am, when judging didn't start til noon!

The car they wanted to give best of show was a great car, which I agreed. But they thought it was a easy decision because the bank put into it. They ONLY wanted to give this 57 a best of show award because it had a art morrision frame and a big block. Nothing else, not because the paint job, not because the quality of work. Just those to factors!

:eek:

This was the second year of the show, turn out was alot less then previous year. Around a 100 cars vs 250+ last year. I believe it to be because the biased decisions. There was alot of talk on the local forums about this, and in the end I feel like they did it to themselves.

They also held a grudge against me because I haven't judged for 40+ yrs or worked at GM for 30+ yrs. I'm sure just because he's an assembly worked that he's the best of the best :sign0020:

anyways, im done venting. Just thought it was a horrible experience that I'm not sure I would judge again at this show.

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
Shows for me aren't that fun any more for all of the reasons you mentioned... I go to a few local charity shows because I support the charity... I could care less about trophies and usually don't bother to vote... I enjoy informal cruise-ins more when you can come and go when you please... Then there's the HOT SUNthing:eek: I must be getting old... Later, Dave

·
Trifive on Facebook Admin
1,826 Posts
sounds like the show won't last long with the judging that way. most car owners will realize what's going on.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it got better, I'm very opinionated..and certainly voiced myself. Which put me in a situation with a bunch of biased judges. There we're only 3 of us, the other two seemed to be buddies.

They asked me what the "best of show" was, I really thought the 54' corvette was. They asked why, I said because of how rare, how orginal and how clean it was. But yet still driven. It was a imaculate car for its ages and looked to be never have had a full restoration, only a paint job and some minor work. He said but over there that 69 (hot rod magazine ordered car) is a show piece. I replied you asked my opinion, I said I would take the corvette over the mail-order. I can go spend a bank and get that camaro all day long, I couldn't find this corvette all day long even with a HUGE wallet.

I was judging cars by whats done if modified, if orginal..how clean and if it was restored..how mint. I was also judging by "paid for" or "investest time and labor into"

I really feel that someone that who spends 8yrs and ungodly amounts of time into a car, deserves more credit then a equavilant car but all the labor was paid for.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I've been invited to judge a show next month. I'm having reservations about it because I know it can be a hassle. I have never done it before but it could be fun if it were done correctly. I'm afraid I'll be real biased towards Chevys though. LOL

·
Administrator
48,740 Posts
Sounds to me like that is the kind of show to boycott in the future. I believe there is politics involved in many shows. I go to have fun and meet new people. If they want to give me an award fine, if not fine.
Terry

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Sorry to say this but the High Dollar Cars are always going to win. I understand that going in. But I have seen some low dollar cars win as well as the owners really spent time on the details. It was a beautiful 57 that was not high dollar but way way clean. It had no fancy motor or brakes or chassis work. But the detail on the car was amasing. It was very clean and detailed.

I find that I enjoy going to Participant judged car shows. Their are a few people that vote for their own car (hat can be eliminated by put the car number on the voting car so you know if its the same number..LOL). And some people vote fpor each others cars..but we have always found that it equals out in the end. Sure some of the High Dollars cars win as people like to se those but so do the finely detailed home built cars.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I went to a show today that seemed "IF" you did business with the shop the show was held at, you stood a better chance of winning.

I feel this way cause the shop owner handed out awards. And said, "We've done business with this guy before. Number 24, a 1957 Chevy, Dennis ............"

To me it killed the show. I mean as far as going back.

My girlfriend loves the 2003 Monte Carlo SS Pace car replica she purchased in 2008. Her very FIRST car loan ever. She asked to bring it to this open show. It got maybe a 30 second glanse from the judge. The Monte is a very nice car. It get's compliments from strangers all the time. I'm not saying it HAD to win a $4 trophy today. Just that is deserved more attention then what it received. Since it wasn't a high dollar build or she had work done by this shop, the car got little attention.

·
12,256 Posts
The show winner should be the car that is the nicest car in the show. Unfortunately, that usually turns out to be the car that has the most money in it. So what? I've done 100% of the work on my car so far, and have spent about $45K to date on it. I still figure I have $20-30K to spend on it for chrome, paint, and upholstery. Just because I spend $65-75K on my car, does that mean it's any less of a car that someone spent $15K on? I think that's absurd.

I've never judged a show, but I've been to quite a few of them. I could narrow down the best cars to just a handful of them....it's not that hard to do. But rarity doesn't mean much to me...it's the workmanship put into building the car that impresses me. That usually means a modified car, as I think anyone can take a car apart, paint the pieces, and put it back together to make a stock retored car.

The trophy should go to the best car in the show, period. I don't necessarily care who paid what or whom for it. Sounds like mayve a little jealousy is showing here. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Car Shows

I really dislike shows where the cars owners vote. What I have seen at these type of shows were guys that never walked by all the cars but would ask their buddies what their car number was and the club that voted for each member. I feel like if you are going to put together a show then have some judges that know what they are doing. I like it where trailered cars are separated out and not judged with drivers. I would rather have a hamburger rather than get an assembly line trophy. I really like the events where you go and see different cars and get different ideas and get to meet different owners that can advise me what doesn't work so good and what works good on these vehicles.

·
Registered
762 Posts
... I can go spend a bank and get that camaro all day long, I couldn't find this corvette all day long even with a HUGE wallet.

I was judging cars by whats done if modified, if orginal..how clean and if it was restored..how mint. I was also judging by "paid for" or "investest time and labor into"
Some really good points! I would hope that you keep on judging, hopefully a "real" event, where your integrity is valued!

Geoff B

·
Registered
12,082 Posts
^^ I second that.
Another point is to make a proper job when separating cars in different classes.
If a car could be entered in more than one class, it's up to the owner to decide in what class he/she would like to compete.
Works rather well here in Sweden.
I think there is also a tendency to value hard labor high at our shows -which is good in my opinion.

I also like to see the diversity when I visit a show

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Sounds like..

you could reduce your stress level, by finding another group of "car guys" to hang with..
From what U report, they did a POOR job of classifying the cars, to begin with.

Nonsense like that, is exactly why I no longer "do" car shows"....A cruise-in, yep. any other NOPE!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
36,134 Posts
To me, the fun of a car show is not about who is going to get a trophy or why - but to meet and hang out with car guys who share common interests. I'll look over the cars I like and if the owners are near their cars I'll meet them and chat a bit with them, and ask them about why or how they did this or that. I'll do my own judging according to what I like and be happy to keep it to myself.

And the trailer queen and checkbook car owners can have some common intererest, or maybe not.

If a car has worn upholstery or a dirty engine compartment, it probably doesn't normally deserve an award - but that doesn't mean that I can't like it or don't want to see it there.

Judging for awards is always going to be a problem, and somebody is not going to be happy about it.

If the show is big enough, having special awards like paint, interior, engine, longest drive, work in progress, etc.,etc. let really good work in one area be recognized.

Being a judge using judging standards you don't agree with is a sure way to have a bad day. Probably worse than entering a show where you disagree with them.

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
The trophy should go to the best car in the show, period. I don't necessarily care who paid what or whom for it. Sounds like mayve a little jealousy is showing here. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

This started as an interesting thread about different ways of judging car shows.....Lets not turn it into a battle of the "haves & Have-nots" Please.....

·
Registered
166 Posts
Fact is when judging you can only put in your two cents worth.Dont get discouraged because this takes place at alot of shows! The good thing is that there are guys like you that really judge these cars for what they are!There is always going to be politics involved with shows big and small, that is something we all have to accept when going to the shows.Just keep up the good work and keep doing what you are.Just maybe you can teach the other guys a thing or two!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I'm on a committee for a local car show, this year will be our fourth show. we max out at 600 cars. I've fought to keep it participant voting, because then we don't get complaints about biased judging. I've entered my Chevelle every year, I've never won an award. I don't care. I also don't get to see much of the show, I work registration in the beginning and then am involved with vote talleying. We pass out a first, second and third place award in each of 70+ catagories, plus a half dozen or so, best of.....type awards. We've had almost no complaints about the way we do it. Ballots must be in by noon.......awards by three, all done before four.........and the spectator crowds just keep getting bigger.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Car shows are a funny thing. I've been in a few knowing I didn't have a show car. People have asked me why I bother, I tell them my entry fee adds to the bottom line of the show. I mostly like to go to meet and talk to people about their rides, find out who does what work - people I'll be doing business with in the future.
As for judging, the ones that I like have over 20 catagories, and you just pick 1-2-3 in every one BUT your own group. There's a certain guy that I see at a lot of shows, if he doesn't win, he leaves as soon as his group is announced. There again, does a 67 Corvette with a 427 tri-power automaticly beat an original '54?
I also don't like that there are 2010's at the shows - on the lot Friday, in the show on Saturday. Doesn't seem fair that a car still has it's 'break in oil' at a show, not to mention that it has 60-72 payments to go!

·
Registered
689 Posts
I've been invited to judge a show next month. I'm having reservations about it because I know it can be a hassle. I have never done it before but it could be fun if it were done correctly.....

Been there and done that. I was asked to judge an event a few months back, what a pain in the rear. The person I was teamed up with had a lot of different views of how the judging sheet was scored and some of the comments made were pretty harsh towards the car owners. I like the beauty of all cars and feel that each and every one of us have different styles and ideas of what the perfect car is in our mind. It has been said on this forum before, "if all cars looked the same, the world would be a boring place."

Then there is the participant judging, all among friends. I still go to shows because it is a fun family event and we have met some of the nicest people there. I help with taking photos for certain websites to help bring a larger crowd next month. As I am walking through I can hear it between the group, "hey what is your car number, and mine is ...." Really, come on! If you can't get your lazy butt up to walk around and look at everyone's attention to detail or lack of, then don't vote. The top twenty shows are the worst when tied to club participation.

To answer the question of how to judge at shows.
When judging I could care less how much money is in the car, look at the craftsmanship, detail to the work, body alignments, cleanliness, personalization, etc... It is a lot easier if the cars are in classes. Create an inspection list in your head and stick with it. Practice on a few cars before the show and continue the same pattern. Example, walk up to the car from the drivers side front fender and look down the body towards the rear looking for waves in body work or body lines not correct, look at paint quality. Walk to the back of the vehicle and look across the rear then from rear to front on the right side. Look at bumper alignments. Look for the overall cleanliness of the vehicle, pride etc... broken glass, dirty wheels, tires or unsafe tire wear, missing door handles/cranks or parts, etc... Take a minute and look for oil leaks and cleanliness of the engine compartment. None of this has to be perfect but keep in mind you are judging car to car. Ask yourself it the next car judged is better or worse than the last one in that catagory. Look for modified items that could score additional for the vehicle. Like I mentioned earlier, it is easier if broken into different classes.

I rolled 4,000 miles on the odometer of the '55 this weekend since I finished it Thanksgiving of last year. It has been driven across fields, dirt roads, construction zones with fresh black tar and it has been in the rain a time or two. The car is driven to work once or twice a week and I still take pride in it, the bottom side is just as clean as the top side. It has a few rock chips on the front end and on the fender well lips, which breaks it from a trailer queen. I don't even own a trailer :)
Just last night we decided to do an event in another part of our area about 50 miles from our house, passing up many shows close by. I am fortunate and thankful to have brought home many first place awards from the shows this year. It was an awesome feeling to get our first best of show trophy last night with at completely new set of eyes on the car.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts