Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
I'd get a shorter alternator belt. And I see you have a factory repro deep alternator pulley from the muscle car era. It's also slightly underdrive so at slow idle it may not charge. I think it's one anyway???

·
Administrator
48,436 Posts
I'd get a shorter alternator belt.
Not sure he can. Looks like if the belt was shorter the alternator would hit the valve cover.
Terry

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi both are correct I can not use a shorter belt because of the valve covers the alt pulley is a 69 z/28 deep groove I been running this motor for 3 years with no charging issues

·
Registered
65,648 Posts
3 years, time to put in your 55. :winking0070:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is a car it is a finished car 3 years ago I updated to a sp 383 with a tremec 5 speed

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
the alt pulley is a 69 z/28 deep groove I been running this motor for 3 years with no charging issues
Mine doesn't exactly have a charging *issue*, it just doesn't charge below about 900rpm, but it's still enough to keep the GEN light from coming on. I got that pulley because it was throwing belts, but in the mean time I made a contraption that screws into a front engine mount hole to keep the belt from bouncing too much. With the combo it's never thrown a belt again. I suppose with the Suburban the whole deal came out of, they didn't rev it up to 5,500 to sometimes 6K very often. (it is a BB)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts