Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I understand it, after December 31, 2010 Texas residents will not be able to register their vehicles using year of manufacture Texas license plates. If you have year of manufacture plates that you plan on using on your vehicle I would do so in plenty of time where everything will clear Austin well in advance of December 31, 2010. I have used year of manufacture plates on every one of my classic vehicles and trailers over the years and just registered a 1959 Cushman Eagle using a 1959 Texas tag. I was told I would be able to renew what I had on everything but would not be able to do anymore new registrations after December 31, 2010.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why are they starting that? Have you heard?
Terry
Terry, I look at it as, why are they stopping to let us do this type of registration. I was told by one person that it was because of the toll roads and their systems not being able to identify :confused0006: I do not believe believe this. At one time I did NOT have the toll tag sticker on the 57 and believe me when I went on the toll road system I received a bill showing me as the owner, 1957 Chevrolet, Red. I now have the toll tag sticker and the 57 on my account and I DO get a charge when I go on a toll road. What I believe is happening is Texas is seeing to it more and more of the special registrations (buying plates) have to go be purchased from myplates.com The state gets out of the plate business, sells a contract to a vendor and the vendor has to pay the state for the contract and make a profit. Check out some of the pricing at myplates.com I think it's gotten pretty high. You pay for the plate then the yearly fees have increased so Texas can make money and myplate.com can turn a profit. I know some folks that got a contract from myplates.com to do their web site and many months ago a friend of mine in Texas registrations told me of the work load being removed from the counties by Texas putting more business with myplates.com The prisoner's have their rights and they probably weren't getting enough tv and library time, they have to be able to study so they can learn how to act as their on legal defense and file their appeals and tie up the court system. I guess I might not get started on this subject so I think you get the picture, we the working and retired folks have an income and have to pay to play or enjoy life :eek:

·
Administrator
49,379 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on this Larry. I have a pair of 1957 plates that i haven`t registered yet so i`ll check with the local registrar on mine. Luckily she is a friend of my wifes.:D
Terry

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
Looks like someone needs to buy these NOS plates before December 31st:party0031:

Attachments

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
Wow, thanks for the news.
I already have '69 plates on my Vette.
It shouldn't affect me on my '55. I just wasn't going to pay the $400 for a decent set and that's about all I could find. I'm really not that fond of the original '55 color anyway.
I bet after the laws change the price of those plates will drop signiificantly.

I decided to go with these instead. I haven't bought these yet. I hope they are not planning on stopping these as well.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some of the dealers have already cut prices since they won't have much of a value after 12/31/2010.
DEALERS:

LARRY MACHACEK 936-441-8209

JESSE PEREZ 210-532-7456

When I talked to the local registration office she did not know anything about the change, Austin did :eek:

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
I was told by one person that it was because of the toll roads and their systems not being able to identify
Hey, I ought to blow through one of those tolls with my Vette and see if I get a bill.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know if it's still happening but at one time I was told the Texas system could not read out of state tags because the data base only contained Texas registrations. Don't send me a bill if that has changed :D

·
Registered
13,418 Posts

·
Premium Member
50,809 Posts
Thanks for the info. Here in Tennessee you can't either. I run a yr of manufacture on the rear but run my Antique Tag on the front.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Mabe its time to start calling our elected state representatives and voicing our concerns!

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
Mabe its time to start calling our elected state representatives and voicing our concerns!
Sorry to be negative but, that wouldn't do a bit of good.
I can assure you that the issue is about money. It always is on stuff like this. It is probably some problem with the tolls and lost revenue.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
I just had a thought. I wonder if this means we will have to start getting our cars inspected too?

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MIKE, now you have hit on something else. I had forwarded an email to Otis between another agent, a couple of representatives, a lady in Austin with TXDOT and myself and am hoping he will post it. A year or two ago Texas started placing a value on used vehicles, vehicles that needed a bonded title (lost title), classics, etc. If you did not agree with the value they placed on the vehicle you could go to a dealer or licensed insurance adjuster and we were given a form to fill out and we could set the value. The state's value did not take into consideration if the vehicle did not have a motor or trans they just had one value for each year and model, period. Most vehicles that need a new title have been sitting up, not running, not licensed, no current inspection, etc. In March 2010 the lady in Austin stopped dealers and adjusters from changing the state's values and did away with the form, everybody has to pay taxes and fees based on the states value. One customer that was going to get a bonded title on a 1965 Mercury, "barn find", no motor, that had to be trailered away and the state placed a taxable value of over $11,200. This is going to be very costly to people in our hobby and folks transferring used vehicles. Think about this one for awhile :eek:

·
Registered
37,053 Posts
The license plate issue doesn't surprise me especially when you show they've turned it to a private contractor. No doubt one who has boned up on how they and the state of Texas as partners can suck some money out of citizens' wallets.

The toll road revenue angle comes through as a sore spot, and that brings to mind red light cameras.

And they've been prying around on the sales tax value on used cars, so it doesn't surprise me they've taken that to extreme.

The city of Houston is going to have a refererendum on red light cameras in the November election. I don't know if it's binding or not. It will be interesting to see the media blitz funded by the private contractors that run the cameras and collect the fines. The whole thing should be entertaining if nothing else.

I think our guy Rick Perry is OK on some issues, but his position on things like this probably don't match our views. Mainly he's the lesser of two evils, and has been previously too. Can you say Trans Texas Corridor?

To those of you that don't live in Texas, we've escaped having a state income tax for all these years, we are proud of that and it won't happen soon, but they keep busting us on everything else to get their revenue. Property taxes and appraisals are insane.

larry48, I appreciate your views and homework on this. I'm going to contact a legislator who I think is already in our camp on this and see if I can get his outlook on what may happen in the future and what maybe can be reversed. He's worked on that with some success on other things, not so much on others, but he has the right attitude.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The lady in Austin with TXDOT or Texas Department of Motor Vehicles that says she doesn't have any complaints on this is DENISE PITTARD, 512-465-3041, [email protected]

Other folks we are asking for help on this are:

REPRESENTATIVE LEO BARMAN, [email protected]
SENATOR KEVIN ELTIFE
SHARON GUTHRIE, OFFICE OF REP. LEO BERMAN, 903-939-2400
DIANNE CARON, OFFICE OF REP. LEO BERMAN, 903-939-2400

I feel sure Rep. Berman's office has email addresses on everybody I don't have them with me right now.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The license plate issue doesn't surprise me especially when you show they've turned it to a private contractor. No doubt one who has boned up on how they and the state of Texas as partners can suck some money out of citizens' wallets.

The toll road revenue angle comes through as a sore spot, and that brings to mind red light cameras.

And they've been prying around on the sales tax value on used cars, so it doesn't surprise me they've taken that to extreme.

The city of Houston is going to have a refererendum on red light cameras in the November election. I don't know if it's binding or not. It will be interesting to see the media blitz funded by the private contractors that run the cameras and collect the fines. The whole thing should be entertaining if nothing else.

I think our guy Rick Perry is OK on some issues, but his position on things like this probably don't match our views. Mainly he's the lesser of two evils, and has been previously too. Can you say Trans Texas Corridor?

To those of you that don't live in Texas, we've escaped having a state income tax for all these years, we are proud of that and it won't happen soon, but they keep busting us on everything else to get their revenue. Property taxes and appraisals are insane.

larry48, I appreciate your views and homework on this. I'm going to contact a legislator who I think is already in our camp on this and see if I can get his outlook on what may happen in the future and what maybe can be reversed. He's worked on that with some success on other things, not so much on others, but he has the right attitude.
Thanks Rick, it just really bothers me to see what some of my friends and customers are having to do and what their cost are. I am able to write the bonds and do the appraisals so I get to see what the state is charging them and it's just wrong as wrong can be.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts