Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
26,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What's a set of 57 professionaly restored Texas license plates worth? I think they were restored by a guy that lived at Huntsville. :) I found a brand new pair for my 57, so I'm taking them to the Arlington swap meet this weekend.

·
Registered
7,334 Posts
What's a set of 57 professionaly restored Texas license plates worth? I think they were restored by a guy that lived at Huntsville. :) I found a brand new pair for my 57, so I'm taking them to the Arlington swap meet this weekend.
Don, I think I read where TX is no longer going to have a YOM program beginning next year. So you might "fetch" more listing them here on trifive or ebay. I'm sure someone is dilligently trying to find some before that program ends. If this info is not correct, Texans, please correct me!

·
Registered
11,070 Posts
So far,

Don, I think I read where TX is no longer going to have a YOM program beginning next year. So you might "fetch" more listing them here on trifive or ebay. I'm sure someone is dilligently trying to find some before that program ends. If this info is not correct, Texans, please correct me!
and after many hours of research, I can NOT find anything Under the DMV or Texas.gov website that eludes to or otherwise says it is going to end. The form VTR-54 DHT #14226 (Rev. 4-980 for obtaining classic/Antique plates still has:

tEXAS.GOV said:
- VTR-54 DHT # 142246 (Rev. 4-98)

CLASSIC LICENSE PLATES
The Classic License Plate fee is $15.00 in addition to the regular registration fee prescribed by law.
Qualifications for Classic License Plates are as follows:
(a) Owner of a passenger car, motorcycle, or light commercial motor vehicle having a manufacturer’s rated carrying capacity
of one ton or less and is twenty-five (25) or more years old.
(b) Applicants that have license plates which are the same year as the classic vehicle may use those plates in lieu of Classic
License Plates issued by this department. The applicant must have the license plates examined at one of the VTR Regional
Offices when submitting the application. The license plates must be the same year as the year model of the classic vehicle,
be in good readable condition, and have the correct color scheme.
(c) If the vehicle has not been previously registered in Texas within the last 5 years, copies of evidence of ownership must
be attached to each application.

·
Administrator
50,515 Posts
I have our local Registrar looking into it. She had heard nothing about it until i akse dabout it last week. I bought a pair of uncirculated 1957 plates off of ebay for 100.00 including shipping about a year ago.
Terry

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
"restored by a guy that lived at Huntsville."

I think "the guy that lived at Huntsville" is the one that made them. :eek::happy0030:

(For you non-Texans, that's where the main state prison is.)
I'm a non-Texan, but I figured that's what you meant - it sounded like a Johnny Cash kind of place!

It also sounds like the story about the guy who did family tree research and found he was related to a Senator, and found they had an ancestor who was hanged for stealing horses. He sent him a letter and received a reply from his office about his ancestor stating that he had 'a growing equestrian ranch' but he 'died suddenly during a ceremony in his honor when the platform on which he was standing collapsed'

·
26,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's why I took the other set of 57 YOM plates down to the tax office and registered them today. I was suprised my 57 was still in the system. It hasn't had a new plate issued since 1994. I heard they drop them after 10 years, but that's apparently a myth, like not being able to register YOM plates after the end of the year. I hope to have mine on the road within a year so I'll need them anyway.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Last time I checked here in Indiana, they would not let you use restored plates. They had to be original and in good condition. I guess if they look too good, they think they are redone and won't let you use them. I have two sets in great condition for Indiana and one was $6 and the other was $8. I guess I got off cheap. I think everyone who wants to use a YOM plate, needs to check out their state and see what the rule is there for restored plates, or you may smack down a $100 for nothing!

·
Administrator
50,515 Posts
I heard they drop them after 10 years, but that's apparently a myth,
Don mine wasn`t in the system after 10yrs. I had to take my title back so i could prove it was mine.
like not being able to register YOM plates after the end of the year.
I am still checking on that one, and will probably go ahead and use my plates since my tags run out next month any way.
Terry

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
TEXAS LICENSE PLATES

I posted information about the Texas Year Of Manufacture Plates usage in a previous thread. After reading this thread last night I decided I would not post anything else till I spoke with somebody at the TXDMV in Austin because some local offices in the counties are uninformed on the new "LAW" that takes effect JANUARY 1, 2011.
Per LINDSY FRANK, CORRESPONDENCE SERVICES BRANCH, CONSUMER RELATIONS DIVISION, TEXAS DEPARTMENT of MOTOR VEHICLES, [email protected] 512-374-5372:
At the present time there are two ways to run YEAR OF MANUFACTURE TEXAS LICENSE PLATES, (1) the vehicle uses an "ANTIQUE" registration which restricts the usage of the vehicle. (2) the vehicle uses a "CLASSIC" registration and there is no restrictions of use of the vehicle. Effective January 1, 2011 the only way to register YEAR of MANUFACTURE Texas License Plates will be the "ANTIQUE" registration which restricts the usage of the vehicle. "GRANDFATHER" clause, everybody that is using the "CLASSIC" registration to run TEXAS YEAR of MANUFACTURE PLATES will be able to continue RENEWING their registration on the vehicle they are on if they DO NOT let them expire. This law which was an amendment by: Acts 2009, 81st Leg. the Transportation Code, SUBCHAPTER F., Sec. 504.501 can be changed since it was done by a LAW. State Senator's and State Representative's are the folks that have to be contacted about changes to this law. I DO NOT LIKE THE "ANTIQUE" REGISTRATION AS IT RESTRICTS WHERE & WHEN I CAN DRIVE MY VEHICLE.
"ANTIQUE" the frame, body and motor are at least 25 years old, the vehicle is a collector's item that will be used solely for exhibition, club activities, parades and other functions of public interest (REPLICAS DO NOT QUALIFY FOR ANTIQUE REGISTRATION). The vehicle will not be used for regular transportation except when routine maintenance is needed. The vehicle will not carry advertising.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Great Info Larry, I'm sure the Texas folks with tri-fives are glad to get this stright. Each state is different. I wish it was the same throughout the US. It would be much less confusing.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Just got back from switching my plate from the ugly antique plate to the 57 plate. During the lunch hour there was actually no waiting which was a nice surprise!

Cost me $31 to switch. Last time I did one of these on my Camaro you had the little metal tab that partially covered the license plate. Now you have the window sticker option.

·
26,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cost me $31 to switch. Last time I did one of these on my Camaro you had the little metal tab that partially covered the license plate. Now you have the window sticker option.
The window sticker is for CLASSIC registration. The "little metal tab" is for ANTIQUE registration. You have to get a safety inspection with a CLASSIC registration.

GO RANGERS!!!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.