Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
somebody text me late sunday nite asking about items I had 4 sale on craigs. I called back Monday a.m. left messages on voice mail. Monday p.m. more texts I send u a check $50. more also delete listing send name& address to me, for some reason it just didn't add up. called him back said wheels were gone. no more texts as of yet. not once did he? answer his phone. hope fully he doesn't bug me any more.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Lots of scammers monitor Craigslist and eBay Classifieds. I have a SUV and a 4x6 enclosed trailer listed on eBay Classifieds and Craigslist. I have listed many items on both venues and everytime I receive text or emails with offers that I know are scams. I got one a couple of days ago that stated she wanted to buy the SUV and she was ready to send me money via Paypal, just send her my Paypal ID and she would send the money and have an agent/transportation company pick up the SUV. I told her that it was cash in person... never heard another word! I had another scammer wanting me to sign up for a specific extended service contract and he told me as soon as I signed up he would pay for it and send the money for the SUV.

BEWARE!!

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
You should only offer a phone number on Craigs list. If they cannot call it is a scam. :anim_25: bowtie-trifive :gba:

·
Registered
887 Posts
You should only offer a phone number on Craigs list. If they cannot call it is a scam.
IMHO I disagree. Some folks don't want to call and show you their phone number, but they will send an email. I have sold mulitple thousands of dollars of stuff on Craigslist, eBay Auctions and eBay Classifieds. Never have had a bad deal, just a few scammers trying to make a bad deal! You just have to be wise and don't bother with the ones that offer to purchase IF you follow their instructions :)

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
IMHO I disagree. Some folks don't want to call and show you their phone number, but they will send an email. I have sold mulitple thousands of dollars of stuff on Craigslist, eBay Auctions and eBay Classifieds. Never have had a bad deal, just a few scammers trying to make a bad deal! You just have to be wise and don't bother with the ones that offer to purchase IF you follow their instructions :)

You got to talk to them sooner or later. bowtie-trifive:gba:

·
Registered
8,258 Posts
I'm glad some have enjoyed success using Craigslist. I almost got beat twice using them and there will be no 3rd time. ebay was just a little bit better.

·
Registered
106 Posts
somebody text me late sunday nite asking about items I had 4 sale on craigs. I called back Monday a.m. left messages on voice mail. Monday p.m. more texts I send u a check $50. more also delete listing send name& address to me, for some reason it just didn't add up. called him back said wheels were gone. no more texts as of yet. not once did he? answer his phone. hope fully he doesn't bug me any more.
Maybe they are Deaf like me?

·
Registered
887 Posts
I just sold a 2008 SUV on Craigslist, had it listed for about a week. A little concerned with the transaction as it was in the low 5 figures and cash... met the guy in a Walmart parking lot and the deal went down just fine!

However... I did have my wife park a little distance from the sale so she could watch and a friend of mine parked about the same distance, taking photos and carrying... and so was I :)

I sold a motorhome last year on Craigslist for the high five figures. I wasn't too concerned about meeting the new owner though as he had already wired all of the money to my bank account!

I am sure there are deals that go bad on Craigslist, but I have never had one go bad. You just have to be careful!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
However... I did have my wife park a little distance from the sale so she could watch and a friend of mine parked about the same distance, taking photos and carrying... and so was I :)!
Look out... Texnet Ronnie aka Jesse James is packing.:sign0020:...in Texas you can carry a side arm strapped down to your leg. Can't be too careful that close to the border...:shakehands: :gba: bowtie-trifive

But seriously, Ronnie is right, you just have to recognize the scammers. I've met people in Walmart parking lot and never had a problem, but I didn't deal in much cash....just selling antiques a few years ago....:shakehands:

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Look out... Texnet Ronnie aka Jesse James is packing.:sign0020:...in Texas you can carry a side arm strapped down to your leg. Can't be too careful that close to the border...:shakehands: :gba: bowtie-trifive

But seriously, Ronnie is right, you just have to recognize the scammers. I've met people in Walmart parking lot and never had a problem, but I didn't deal in much cash....just selling antiques a few years ago....:shakehands:
Ditto for Virginia...you can open carry. Not a bad idea meeting a stranger in the parking lot with a .454 Casul strapped to your hip!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts