Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:wavey: G'day, I'm sure I've seen it somewhere on the site but can anyone point me in the right direction? I want to put a TH350 or 400 behind my 265 and was wondering what problems there are to overcome. Car is a 56 4Dr Wagon
Thanks
Wayne

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
For one, the starter on your factory assembly bolts up to your transmission. So you need to buy an adapter, to make it work. Take a look at Classic Chevy International's on line catalog, to see what you will need. Plus you need to use a rear cross member, as well as trans side mounts. If you use just the front engine mounts, and a rear trans mount, you engine will rock side to side excessively, and you will stress the trans bell housing. :anim_25:

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,876 Posts
Pretty straight forward swap, if you have a PG installed already....The 350 will be easier, due to its length being about the same.....You will need an adaptor plate for the starter: http://www.classicchevy.com/chevy-e...turbo-hydra-matic-transmisison-1955-1957.html

Also, if your engine still front mounted and you're going to keep it that way....You'll need a set of these turbo mounts:http://www.classicchevy.com/chevy-t...700r4-installation-bracket-kit-1955-1957.html

Also, use a transmision cross member:

·
Registered
227 Posts
I agree with David. A 350 is the better choice and also requires less hp to move it. Best choice would be 200 4r for it's low 1st gear and it's basically the same size as a 350.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I agree with Str8axel, the turbo 400 eats up your horsepower, that is why they only used them in big blocks. They are great transmissions, last forever and hard to break, I've been running one for 30 years and no problems, but a 350 would suit me better, the 400 was almost given to me, so........ Charles :wavey:

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,876 Posts
I agree with David. A 350 is the better choice and also requires less hp to move it. Best choice would be 200 4r for it's low 1st gear and it's basically the same size as a 350.
Wayne.....Before I sent money on installing a TH350, I would see how much more it would cost to go with a TH700 or 200-R4

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
In my experience it takes 4 time the parts expense to build a 200 or 700. A few bushings and seal & paper kit is sometimes all that necessary on a Turbo.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:wavey: Thanks for the info guy's, a TH 350 is going to be easier to source cheap where I am so that will probably be the way i'll go, I have driven a friends powerglide impala and don't really like only having two speeds.
cheers
Wayne

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
:wavey: Thanks for the info guy's, a TH 350 is going to be easier to source cheap where I am so that will probably be the way i'll go, I have driven a friends powerglide impala and don't really like only having two speeds.
cheers
Wayne
Before you chisel that decision in stone... my 56 started out with the stock Powerglide, I immediately changed it to a 350. I drove it on a 1000 mile road trip and couldn't believe I have to tach 3000-3500 rpm just to do the speed limit. A friend of mine that owns a transmission shop convinced me (easy job) to go with a mid 80's 700R4. We put one in and I have never looked back, best decision I ever made! Better gas mileage, less engine rev's, better hole shot, etc. A lot of the guys here have the same setup and love it. BTW, I spent a year in Udorn Thailand in 1967-68, when doing my time with my uncle sam. Dave

7,080 Posts
Thanks Dave. Just had the PG rebuilt, but do not expect it to last (just wanted it). This (been there,done that post) may very well help make my decision in the future. Lloyd

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Before you chisel that decision in stone... my 56 started out with the stock Powerglide, I immediately changed it to a 350. I drove it on a 1000 mile road trip and couldn't believe I have to tach 3000-3500 rpm just to do the speed limit. A friend of mine that owns a transmission shop convinced me (easy job) to go with a mid 80's 700R4. We put one in and I have never looked back, best decision I ever made! Better gas mileage, less engine rev's, better hole shot, etc. A lot of the guys here have the same setup and love it. BTW, I spent a year in Udorn Thailand in 1967-68, when doing my time with my uncle sam. Dave
Dave, I'm sure the country is a lot friendlier now but at 328% import duty they're not to friendly when it comes to importing my 56, so unfortunately she has to stay in Australia where I only get to work on her a few weeks a year if I'm lucky, but they do say slow n steady wins the race and I'll get there eventually

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Dave, I'm sure the country is a lot friendlier now but at 328% import duty they're not to friendly when it comes to importing my 56, so unfortunately she has to stay in Australia where I only get to work on her a few weeks a year if I'm lucky, but they do say slow n steady wins the race and I'll get there eventually
Sah waht dee cahp (did I spell that right?) I loved Thailand and the people. Yes, slow and sure gets it done, mine took 11 years to complete. Dave

·
Registered
555 Posts
I wish have that th350 make less rev at the moment I got PGlide 2 speed it good but I find little bit fuel quick... mmm I just planing th350 I find to right price some in NZ are not same price ... maybe I find tran then rebuilt look go back new again or brand not cheap>

I will let you know update but when dont know !

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sah waht dee cahp (did I spell that right?) I loved Thailand and the people. Yes, slow and sure gets it done, mine took 11 years to complete. Dave
:wavey: G'day Dave thats why I married one. They translate it to english as Sawasdee Krab but I like your way better it seems to fit right :tu:tu

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Wayne, I just jumped on the site to ask another question but yours caught my eye.. I too have a 56' with a 265 and a tired and constantly leaking cast iron 2 speed! Mine goes into the shop next week for a rebuilt 4L60 auto behind my powerpac 265.Abit more $$ than a TH350 but I think long term my small block will love me for it.. good luck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts