Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a swap meet TH350 behind a 283 in my current project. Got it home a checked the pan. Very clean with no metal so I decided to take a chance. Changed filter, fluid and vac modulator. The tranny will not shift out of first. What is likely cause? Is this something that can be fixed with the tranny in the car? I do not have a lift.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
make sure you have manifold vacuum to the modulator if that's good then the next thing to check is the kick down cable isn't bound up in the fully extended position that would cause a very late full throttle up shift if ok then you will need to check the governor. to do that you need to get the cover off (round cover by the speedo gear) so you can check first that the gear isn't stripped then that the valve isn't stuck by holding it up by the gear & moving the weights in & out You should see the valve freely move through a slot in the shaft of the governor. If none of those are the issue then likely it will need to be taken apart starting with the valve body making sure there isn't any stuck valves

·
Premium Member
5,220 Posts
This has happened to me a few times. Just pull and clean the governor. It's that simple

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
This has happened to me a few times. Just pull and clean the governor. It's that simple
good video but like i said once you get the governor out hold it by the gear with the weights hanging down & flip the weights in & out & in his video you can see the window or slot & the valve inside the shaft, it should move freely spray it down with brake clean then poor some atf over it You can use a long straight screwdriver tap gently around the edge to remove it your probably bend the edge some just straighten it out

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I know now how to inspect the govenor. Will do. Also you responses reminded me that the kick down cable has been cut off about 6 inches out of the transmission. I didnt think i needed a kick down cable. What do I need to do about that. Obviously not a transmission guy.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Thanks. I know now how to inspect the govenor. Will do. Also you responses reminded me that the kick down cable has been cut off about 6 inches out of the transmission. I didnt think i needed a kick down cable. What do I need to do about that. Obviously not a transmission guy.
Get a new cable and replace it. it will probably surprise you? Never ran one without a cable personally.

Rods56

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
A good friend of mine now passed never installed detent cables when he built a 350 for personal use. I have a fresh one from his Chevy II drag car without one in the shop with a 4500 A1 converter.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
A th350 will work without a kickdown cable, it is not a tv cable like 200/700,
that is correct not having the kick down won't destroy the trans like 700 & 200 will. Possible with it cut off it may be pulled out. I would remove it & check to see if you can feel that the kick down isn't pinched in the cut off cable it just one 7/16 bolt maybe 10mm on late model it will leak fluid out when you take it off There is a wire link with a hook on the end that hooks to the internal cable once you have it off get ahold of that link with a pair of needle nose pull it out so you can feel the kick down. I would buy a new cable & install it it will need a bracket that mounts on the back two bolts on the left side of the intake & a stud to go onto the carb linkage

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
You dont need the kick down to upshift. I have ran street cars and never hooked them up.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Not needed agreed but for $30-40 why not especially if it's just a driver so it functions as it was designed & you don't need to pull it back to second to pass someone Ive never put one in anything that I didn't connect it just not that difficult

·
Registered
36,129 Posts
When the detent cable is extended by the linkage it raises the line pressure which is a good thing for transmission life and torque capacity, even without pulling it far enough to downshift. There are some other minor benefits. As 56ls408 said it's not that expensive or difficult to have it functional and give you what GM intended for it to have.

I used to be one of those that believed it was unnecessary but was convinced otherwise after a discussion with those who know.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Not needed agreed but for $30-40 why not especially if it's just a driver so it functions as it was designed & you don't need to pull it back to second to pass someone Ive never put one in anything that I didn't connect it just not that difficult
I didn't say it wasn't needed I just said it wasn't needed to up shift which appears to be his problem.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bummer. I cannot remove the governor cover due to floor board clearance. Even if I got the cover of i dont think i have enough clearance to pull the governor out. If i knew that was the problem could I drop down the tranny enough to get it out? No lift. I will install a new kick down after aI get the shift problem resolved..

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Bummer. I cannot remove the governor cover due to floor board clearance. Even if I got the cover of i dont think i have enough clearance to pull the governor out. If i knew that was the problem could I drop down the tranny enough to get it out? No lift. I will install a new kick down after aI get the shift problem resolved..
You could probably drop it, but at what expense to your other mounts? I guess the question is how far do you need to go?

·
Registered
324 Posts
You might get lucky an pour some k&w tran-x in it and it will clean out any crude if modulator hose vacumn is working,worth a shot,

1 - 20 of 35 Posts