Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

Today I wanted to resume the cam break in for my car, all went well until 10 minutes were left.
Blue smoke started appearing, transmission fluid since it was nice and red.
The transmission is a th2004R from bowtie overdrives that has very low mileage. about 100 miles I thinks.
The leak is from the front of the transmission and dripped on the exhaust at an increasing rate, do I aborted the break in.

Any idea what the problem could be? I hope the trans is still good.
A bit of smoke is OK with me, but i don't want to damage the trans again.

Thanks

Nick

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Suspect the front pump seal ; trans out time . Could be a few different leaks up front , but both/all need the trans on the bench to repair . Get her done ; it's cruising time . Be safe...Bob.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Boy this doesn't sound good :(
Do these seals go bad from lack of use ? The transmission is about new.
Is this an urgent matter ?
I'd like to finish the cam break in first.

·
Registered
887 Posts
As for continuing your cam break in... that will depend on how much fluid is leaking out and what is causing it.

I am not familiar with your situation. Did you just replace the cam or did you have the engine out and just put it back in.

If you just replaced the engine and had the torque converter out you may have damaged the seal when reinstalling the converter.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, the engine stayed in the car, just the cam has been changed.

·
Registered
Cocke County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
8,777 Posts
Hello guys,

Today I wanted to resume the cam break in for my car, all went well until 10 minutes were left.
Blue smoke started appearing, transmission fluid since it was nice and red.
That's odd, transmission fluid normally burns with a very white smoke, not blue at all.:confused0024:

·
Registered
887 Posts
...since it was nice and red.

The leak is from the front of the transmission and dripped on the exhaust at an increasing rate...
Red should mean transmission fluid for sure. However, in front of the transmission and dripping on the exhaust to me does not point to the front seal but boiling over out the dipstick tube. Any transmission fluid coming out the front seal would have to be slung onto the exhaust if the exhaust is in the normal place.

Maybe the trans fluid was too high and the 2000 RPM and not moving caused it to flow back up the tube.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There was a pretty large red stain on the floor.
Also a bit of engine oil, but far less than the ATF.
It dripped on the hot exhaust, hard to tell the exact color then.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
200-4R leak

Can you see where it is dripping from? If not does it only leak when running? If so, you have a pressure leak which would only occur in a couple of places such as:
1. Front Pump seal. Early 200-4R pumps can have a problem where the front pump bushing can walk forward in the pump and cut the seal.
2. Pressure test plug on the drivers side of the trans, just above the shifter shaft, as shown in attached photo. This is a prime place to look as I believe that BTO dyno tests their transmissions and could have left the plug loose.
3. Servo cover "O" ring on the passenger side.
4. Cooler fittings and lines.

Just off the top of my head these are the only external areas exposed to pump pressure. If it is a pan, dipstick, shift shaft, rear seal, TV cable O ring, or TCC wiring plug leak it will drip steady when shut off. Do you have photos of where the drip is coming from?

Driver.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here are the pictures.

Apperently there are two differtet leaks. ATF + engine oil.
This came out during the night.

The bolts on the passenger side are very wet. The driver side is dry, also the pressure plug was dry.

The gasket seams to be leaking a bit. The bolts were torqued down.

The driver dite is dry, except for the oil filter.

The torque converter is also dry, the botom of the car is still covered in sanding dust, this helps to trace oil leaks now.

The seal is also dry.

The dipstick in the engine compartment is also dry.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Is that cooler fitting leaking??

Because the drivers side is dry, I focused on the passenger side, of course. Look at the attached photo. It sure looks like that cooler line fitting is wet, and has ATF dripping from it. Be aware that cooler line fittings and dip stick seal leaks will usually run down the side of the trans and drip off the pan rail, making it look like the pan gasket is leaking. Unless someone really messed it up, it is hard to get a 200 pan to leak, because they are so stiff, and have plenty of clamping bolts.

Wipe off that cooler fitting really thoroughly, and then wrap a piece of paper towel around it tightly. Run the motor for about 1 minute, and if it is the cooler line leaking, the towel will be saturated, or at least stained with ATF because the cooler fittings and lines are exposed to high pressure (90+ psi) whenever the engine is running. Because of the pressure, a leak shows up very quickly.

Driver.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This photo was the exact problem.
The middle fitting wasn't tight enough.
No ATF oil leak any more :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts