Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Lack of reverse and 3rd sounds like possible direct clutch issue. But can you expand on the problem with neutral??

·
Registered
37,219 Posts
Your first post suggests that you have a direct clutch issue, as it's used for both 3rd and reverse.

Your second post suggests you have a shifter issue.

The whole deal is confused at this point.

You might want to describe what happens with the shifter in each position.

·
Administrator
66,076 Posts
looks to be the shifter tube in the column. i think. disconnected linkage at tranny and shifter lever seemed to shift into all gears.
hope to fix it in the morning
Has to be between the trans linkage and where it connects to the gear lever.

Do you have a cable, or is it linkage all the way?

Funny how it still would select the gears & go into park.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Has to be between the trans linkage and where it connects to the gear lever.

Do you have a cable, or is it linkage all the way?

Funny how it still would select the gears & go into park.
she has a custom single linkage rod between shifter lever on tranny and lever on column. i couldn't shift out of park last night after putting the front end on the jack and jack stands. shifter on column would not pull to lift the tab out of the hole on the detent bracket on end of column. i don't know, maybe the convertor is wasted?

i think Sunshine just wants a 700r4 with another gear for the highway, which wouldn't bother me except for the downtime.

i'll be back under her after i get some coffee in me...

·
Premium Member
15,880 Posts
I would pull the pan and take a look at the "S" link between where the external linkage comes inside and the valve body. If that has broken or come disconnected the valve will stay wherever it was when the link came off but you will still be able to put the trans in park. :anim_25:

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would pull the pan and take a look at the "S" link between where the external linkage comes inside and the valve body. If that has broken or come disconnected the valve will stay wherever it was when the link came off but you will still be able to put the trans in park. :anim_25:
thanks! pulling pan later today... :p3:

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
a google search for 'th350 s link' shows the same info with diagrams:
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/th350-no-reverse-drive-all-gears-167202.html

man, i hope that is it, seems like an easy fix. i'm going thru withdrawals already

·
Premium Member
15,880 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,338 Posts
Rick, there is a 2 inch difference on the rear mounting pad th350/700r4. You'll have to move the crossmember back. Also you will need the bracket to mount the TV (Throttle Valve) cable up by the carb. Setting the TV cable is crucial and do not attempt to drive it without it hooked up. It will burn up the 700r4 pretty fast. You will need the small ball stud that mounts to the throttle linkage on carb. This allows the TV cable to be mounted to the linkage. They sell a misc. set of these at O'Reilleys. They are on the wall where the high performance, chrome, and ignition stuff is. You may need a lockup switch kit also. Some say you need it and some don't. It will make it seem like it shifts into a fifth gear and improve fuel economy. The price differences around my area is almost 1/2 price on rebuild between the two transmissions with the TH350 being cheaper. I love the old TH350s. Not much to them and they last a long time but the 700R4 would be my choice. That extra gear (two with the switch) makes cruising down the highway great. I have ran a couple in my tri 5s. Good luck

1 - 20 of 45 Posts