Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a TH350 behind a 400hp 350 s/b in a 57 Bel Air street cruiser. I want a little harder/quicker shift 1-2 and 2-3. I've adjusted the modulator and the governor but neither gets me where I want to be. I think a shift kit is next but which one? There are many brands and versions. I don't race so a head snapper is not for me; just something with a little more bang. What do you guys recommend? Jon

·
Registered
37,981 Posts
B&M has you remove the spring in the accumulator if you want a positive 1-2 shift, and I think it makes the shift WAY too harsh with no recourse to adjust. In fact I've seen complaints about this modification causing breakage.

I'm not sure how Transgo shift kits handle this, but my expectation is that they may have a better way.

·
Premium Member
5,338 Posts
The shift improver kit is a decent choice for a faster shift. The Transpac is what I install in all my 350 and 400s. It really hits though but I love the second gear scratch.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see both the Transpac and the shift improver kits advertised erywhere. From the thread replies it seems the Transpac is more than I want. Does anyone out there have the "shift improver" installed in a TH350? Jon

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
The B&M shift improver is what I run in my 72 Blazer 4x4, it works as good as the Trans Go Street Strip Kit in my 72 Cheyanne,1/2 2wd. Not as positive as trans pack. I agree with Halfrod on this one.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
TransGo shift kit for TH350

I see both the Transpac and the shift improver kits advertised erywhere. From the thread replies it seems the Transpac is more than I want. Does anyone out there have the "shift improver" installed in a TH350? Jon
I installed 50+ of the TransGo shift kits in TH350's years ago, after trying many other brands for high performance street cars and trucks:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRG-350-1-2/

These are not a "bang the tires" type shift kit, although you can calibrate these to do so, if that is what you like. These are made to shorten up and crisp up the shifts, especially the 1-2 shift on a 350. You will love this kit for your driver. TransGo was always an industry leader in trans research and design, and the quality of their kits reflected it. They cost a little more than TCI and BxM kits, but you will be very happy with the shift quality and trans life with the 350-1. I do remember replacing at least one cracked case around the accumulator cover, when using a BxM kit, where they have you pull the accumulator spring. That accumulator is really needed to moderate the hydraulic pressure "spike" as the shift happens.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since I'm not an auto tranny kind of guy. What should I expect to pay to have the TransGo kit installed? Can it be done in the car or is it best to take the trans out? Jon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts