Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought my 55 Bel Air Sports Coupe in 2001 from a guy who worked for me. He was moving to San Francisco and had no place to park it. He is a good guy, but was stuck in the 70's and wasn't too sharp on working on his car.
I picked it up on July 4th, and it took me about 5 hours to get it home (about 60 miles).
I got on the freeway, and got right back off because the front end was way loose, and the U-joints were trying to destroy themselves.
He had mounted a Nitrous bottle between the front seats, and ran the stainless line through the firewall. It kept cutting out on me (in stop and go traffic) and when I finally pulled over, I discovered that the line was shorting on the resistor.
Back into traffic...It started to run hot, I pulled over again thinking that maybe the belt was loose. After all, it did have an auxiliary electric fan and a giant 17" flex fan...What I discovered afer about three stops was that the fan had been wired backwards, and wasn't helping matters.
Back into traffic. It kept loading up, so I pulled over again to see if the choke had stuck. When I pulled the air cleaner, I saw a standard issue 3310, but it was running so rich, I pulled a vacuum line to try to lean it out. When I later took the carb apart, it had like #80 jets in the primary and 77's or so in the secondary, and, being a Holley, of course the power valve was blown.
anyway, long story short, I have fixed or replaced almost everything that was on the car...

·
Registered
146 Posts
You sure did get it right. It has a perfect stance for a 55 and has to one of the sharpest cars on the street . Most people would have used it only as Trailer Queen. Nice Work.

·
Registered
146 Posts
ih8rice Thadd is never going to get old . May be you could just Loan Him a few of your Tatoo's instead. I would like to see both of your cars side by side they would look like Bothers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts