·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
948 Posts
Abalone! I have transplanted a 302 in 64 XKE, 327 in a 60 Austine Healey 3000, 283 bin a 61 MBZ 220S to name a few. I'm still transplantable. Just lookin' for the next project "X." Will build a "RAT ROD" pretty soon...collecting stuff in the mean time. Love the latitude.

·
Registered
945 Posts
put a 215 buick in a MG b also used an a/c compressor out of a old dodge
(piston type) to make an air compressor so that in mind if it fits use it

·
Trifive Calendar Editor
3,368 Posts
You won't find much debate here.
Ford in a Chevy? So rare the issue rarely comes up.
Chevy in a Ford? Well I have just enough compassion for Ford owners that I'm please they found a way to improve their performance. :)

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Back in the early days of hot rodding those guys were dropping in Buicks, Chrysler hemis, and hopping the venerable Ford flatheads, and some were even using the Chevy six bangers. They were usually using the Model A's, or T's, because they were plentiful and cheap compared to other makes...my Dad bought a '32 Ford Vicky in Oakland in early '46...he was still in the Navy and was being transfered to San Angelo Naval Air Station...he paid $15 for it back then...it eventually got a Chevy transplant sometime in the late '50's.
When Chevy came out with their first V-8, the 265, it became a rodders dream, lightweight, torquey, relatively cheap to buy and to hop up, thus it became the engine that many dropped into their rods.
It's only been in the last 15-20 years that it has been getting relatively inexpensive to build up a Ford or Mopar compared to the venerable Chevy and the Chevy V-8 is still less expensive to build comparable HP.

I think the debate is laughable and hypocritical...you never hear someone complain about the guy that has a blown Hemi in his duece coupe or '56 Ford pickup, or Camaro or Mustang...or even in a tri-five:)...besides it is the owners car, built the way he wanted it...not yours, or mine, or the ones making the argument. Just my opinion.

I do think some cars should have the engine make in them that they originaly had like the muscle cars or tri-fives...but I'm not going to complain when I see a well engineered BB of another manufacturer stuffed under the hood...might shake my head and wonder what the owner was thinking but hey it's not mine.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
It does crack me up when you see a high price tag on a Ford and it has a chevy engine. I believe you should keep a Ford a Ford and Chevy a Chevy. I can understand if you going very budget oriented (or rat rod if you like the term), but still, Ford engines aren't as expensive as they used to be.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
If you "Chevy in a Chevy" guys are talking tri-fives or muscle cars I agree but if you are talking hot rod/streetrod then thats a whole different ballgame. Unless you build your own frame you are pretty limited on aftermarket choices...unless you want to pay extra, often a pricey deal, to have the frame set up for say a Ford engine and trans.
When I built my '33 Vicky I orginally wanted a Ford 351 W and C6 and yet also wanted all new components so I researched and finally bought a roller frame from Streetrods by Michael(I'm not a decent enough welder or have the knowledge or tools to fabricate a frame)and it was far less than than having one built...it was set up for the typical Chevy SB engine and trans, a BB set up was about $150 more...a Ford SB setup was nearly $500 more and up depending on the type of Ford trans you were going to use. No brainer there I put a Chevy in a Ford. And I think that is why many guys do the same in their Ford bodied streetrod/hotrod builds, not many suppliers out there furnish frames readily available for a Ford setup and some of us do not have the skills or knowledge to build our own frames.

And what about those guys that build a Studebaker, Henry J, Willys or even a Packard:rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
My girl friend, now my wife and I went to Milan Drag Way, in 69', We walked up to this fine looking 57' gasser, that had a 427 FORD under the hood. She ribbed me about that the rest of the weekend. She still likes her Fords, in spite of driving Oldsmobile's and Dodges over the past forty years.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
My girl friend, now my wife and I went to Milan Drag Way, in 69', We walked up to this fine looking 57' gasser, that had a 427 FORD under the hood. She ribbed me about that the rest of the weekend. She still likes her Fords, in spite of driving Oldsmobile's and Dodges over the past forty years.
:eek: ouch... Auggie. That must have hurt to see that. Its bad enough to put a f*rd eng in any Chevy. But DON"T ever put one in a Trifive. Thats just wrong.

·
Registered
36,113 Posts
I'm no purist, I do like some Fords and Mopars too.

The reason I got into Chevys is just that it's so easy and cheap to modify and hot rod a 50s/60s/70s Chevy. So I get more bang for my buck, benefitting from the interchangeability, parts available, and expertise.

The others are just that much harder to do at the same level with similar means.

I'd love to make my next project a 55-57 Ford. Finding a core to build would be a big deal. They just aren't out there. And it would definitely be more work and more expensive. I'd also like to build an Olds or Buick. It probably would get a BBC though.

·
Registered
731 Posts
If you guys watch the show Pinks there have been quite a few Mustangs that won or were in the finals that had Chevy engines. The one the got me was the guy that won the super street nationals with a late model Camaro powered by a Mopar, OUCH . Don

1 - 14 of 14 Posts