Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well getting prepared to start down the path of a new/old build of my 56. My Dad bought the car in 1970 and played with it until I turned 16 when the folks gave me the car for my first car. Has never been winter driven since we've owned it. I drove it until 97 when life took me away from cars for awhile as it does to many of us. Then got my Camaro and then my 30 Ford coupe currently in the stable so she has been ignored for too long. Now downsizing my Dad from his property which is making me get off my butt and give the car some attention.
Still sporting the original colours sherwood green and pinecrest green but that will change with the new build. Original 265 car but she still has the 283 my Dad put in it along with an aluminum air cooled power glide and rearend out of a 65 Chevelle Plan is to do a 4 door conversion to start as that has always been the dream. Been watching lots of vids on various approaches to the job and I think I've settled on how I want to do it but if some of you gents have been down the path, please fire away with any learned do's and dont's as I am always open to learn. Have a mint set of original 2 door doors and just scored a clean 2 door front seat as well. Ordered up a set of rockers and waiting for the front floor panels to come off backorder. Needs a couple floor braces replaced on each side. I may fab them myself along with the floor panels. Did a ton of that type of work when I built my coupe as we have bead roller, english wheel, planishing hammer etc to do it all. Would definitely save me some good money if I build them myself and already have the sheet metal in my metal storage. Frame is solid. I am going to add a K member to stiffen up and again will fab my own vs something bought and haven't quite decided what I am going to do out the back end yet. Would like to tuck a little bit bigger tire so may at least do the spring relocator deal. She is going to get a big block likely a 468 or maybe a touch bigger. Have the virgin 454 block already. Think I'm gonna go with one of the new TKX 5 speeds from Tremec and all other mechanical will be brand new as well. Don't like to cut any corners when it comes to parts. New full wiring harness and redo the interior.
Super excited to start down this path as I have always had this build in the back of my mind. Always about squeezing stuff in with the demands of work and family. Can't wait for the day that I can pound the pavement with this old girl again!
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

Car Wheel Vehicle Hood Tire

Car Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

Wood Automotive tire Bedrock Formation Tints and shades

Tire Automotive tire Tread Wood Synthetic rubber

Sleeve Bag Magenta Luggage and bags Plastic

Couch Comfort Outdoor furniture Wood Rectangle

·
Registered
68,758 Posts
good read, cool project. you making into 2dr? my sig says what i would do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I'm almost 50 so I'm not a puppy but I'm not in my 70's either! And yes my cousins and I grew up playing cowboys and indians too! I promise to not use any new fandangled slang any more on this build thread... :D

·
Registered
906 Posts
One minute we were playing cowboys and indians, the next we were playing "combat" (if you remember the show you know what I mean). We would get shot and die gloriously, then get up and play some more. Then we rode our bicycles for a while (two speed, peddling while sitting down or standing up), played ball for a while and finished up the day fishing in the creek. The whole day cost $0.00, we didn't break any laws and our folks knew where we were and what we were up to.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts