Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
Chattanooga TN
6,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm building a 1957 283 and powerglide back to original and it needs an engine run stand. After looking at different stands it occurred to me that, for about twice the price of a deluxe model, I could get a builder car with a good frame. Was really looking for a four door hardtop, but hey, l already have two wagons so what's one more?
Found this old wagon on Facebook Marketplace not too far away with a good frame. The body is a bit stripped, but it does have four good doors three fenders and a salvageable hood. The tailgate and upper hatch are ruff. The floor is Swiss cheese as are the wheel wells. But surprisingly the spare tire well and cargo area are in good shape. One shock mount is torn out. The front bumper is salvageable as is the rear center section.

A picture is worth a thousand words...

Reactions: twin engines

·
Premium Member
Chattanooga TN
6,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It's a V8 210 with a very late production serial number.
Copper and Adobie beige with matching interior.
Love the color combo so if this body gets built it will be in its original color.

Looks like it has never been left on the ground or wreaked.
(Both Nellybelle and Hoehn had quarter panel and front frame damage that had to be repaired)
The roof is good with headliner bows still in place and the quarter window area is in great shape.
(Again, Nellybelle and Hoehn needed repair in this area)
Lots of stainless, rear folding seat in good shape, front seat will need some repair or replaced. Complete garnish molding in great shape so some of that will be put to use in Hoehn.
Anyway, some good, some bad.

So the plan is an original type restoration with the engine and powerglide already underway.
The frame will be the priority with the body taking a backseat till Hoehn is complete.

Now, no more looking on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace !

(We both know that's not going to happen. :) )

·
RIP 11/24/2021
68,223 Posts
cool project. you already remove the engine, that was fast(or it didn't come with one?) what you going to name this one?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Well the post caught my interest and the brain started in that dangerous mode of ideas...lol. I will be cutting the complete front section off my 57 210 for the Nickey straight axle subframe graft . My 57 cut off frame section could be modified into a towable start up engine stand . a tired core support and radiator , battery , some gauges...... possibly a great way to do break in engine start ups. Hmmm....another thing for the to do list. Good luck with the wagon(s) .

·
Premium Member
Chattanooga TN
6,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cool project. you already remove the engine, that was fast(or it didn't come with one?) what you going to name this one?
The engine and transmission were taken out long ago on this old wagon. Perfect home for the 283 that came out of Hoehn.

·
Premium Member
Chattanooga TN
6,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, a little more demolition today....

Rear roof corner piece

Other side.

Upper hatch hinges removed...

Latch and cable retractor guides...

Ok, several pictures of staples used to hold the tack strip above the quarter windows...

These staples were shot through the sheetmetal, heck of a staple gun...

·
Premium Member
Chattanooga TN
6,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You know John, and I don’t want to say this too loud, but it appears that you are headed toward being one of the go to wagon guys Around these parts!

Well, in the back of my mind, I keep thinking I need to find a way to fund my "habit". And if you specialize in something, a man might make a little money at it. Getting better at stainless , learning what I can about wagons, and if I can get this old 283 to run that will be another notch in my belt. The power glide is next.

Heck, I'm just playing with toys.

What was it Jacques Cousteau said, " I was playing when I invented the aqua lung."

·
Premium Member
Chattanooga TN
6,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Field car? What's a field car?

Doors and front-end removed.
Rear bumper next, I suspect it will put up a fight.

·
Premium Member
Chattanooga TN
6,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As suspected, the bumper put up a fight.
Out in the field too far away from airpowered tools you have to get creative.
Used a jack like a port-a-power tool.
Most bolts broke loose, some just broke.

And the bumper is off.

Next up, wheels and brake drums.
Will probably need a torch for that job.

·
Premium Member
Chattanooga TN
6,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The '69 belongs to my body and paint man. His first car was a '69 so he is building one for himself. He also has a very nice '57 Cameo.

Reactions: Talldeck427

·
Premium Member
Chattanooga TN
6,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Another minor update, dropped the rearend and removed the gas tank.

Looks like the old wagon had lowering blocks on it at one time...

For my own future reference, how to reinstall the shackles.

Scrapped the inside of the roof clean.
What a mess, and I've been told the original material contains asbestos, so a mask, safety glasses and a face shield were worn.

Reactions: ETriggs
1 - 20 of 60 Posts