Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
Chattanooga TN
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
A little more disassembley.
Tailgate latch , mounted with adjustable nut plates.

With a little piece behind them to hold them in place when tightened down.

Cable guide....

With a piece of heavy felt on the back side.

Block off plate.

Cable guide

·
Premium Member
Chattanooga TN
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·

Rusty clip that helps holds the tailfin stainless in place

Some original copper paint...

Gas tank filler tube holder

Cable guide

Hmmm, fits right in on the passenger side.
Wonder if the right hand drive cars were ever done this way?

·
Premium Member
Chattanooga TN
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
A little hard to see, but there is a metal clip on the bottom of this taillight housing. Part of an original rear seal between the tailpan and the bumper. I have a reproduction for old Nellybelle that hasn't been Installed yet, but it doesn't have these metal clips.

Wavy pattern where Fisher clamped the lead edge of the seal to the tailpan.

Retractor, one of them still works.
The other is toast.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
You wasted no time getting deep into this one John. Working out in a field in the grass and July heat confirms you are truly a die hard. I hope Nellybelle and Hoehn don’t get jealous of all the attention this car is getting.

·
Premium Member
Chattanooga TN
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
Chattanooga TN
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
....... Working out in a field in the grass and July heat confirms you are truly a die hard. ....
Well, I never claimed to be the "Smart one".🤪
Just want to get the frame out from under this one and get it ready for the 283.

Hoehn is in paint jail.
NelleyBelle has issues that need to be addressed. If it will make it to the Nationals that's the last show I'm going to this year.

Got too many projects. (And just spotted a 57 LCF that would be nice to make into a car hauler. "Brother can you spare a dime")

·
Premium Member
13,595 Posts
She just has to make the show. We would all miss her presence. We had all the early meet and greets at nelly belle, all the moon pies, rc cola, historic baseball games, exhaust cut outs, magic 8 ball, checker roof transformation, bass strapped to the roof, fun runs, holy cow!

·
Premium Member
Chattanooga TN
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Small accomplishment that took lots of time today.

Several bolts broke off during the removal of the tailgate latches.
Normally I drill a hole in them and use an easyout, but these bolts were long and very rusty. No way were they coming out the right way.

So, I drilled them out as close to the threads as I dared and then used a tap to clean them out.

A 1/4" Course thread 20 count fit the nut plate just right.

All cleaned up and ready to go.

Got both sides done and the three little screws that hold the upper hatch supports. An 8NC32 worked for the hatch support screw holes.
Well, almost. On the last screw the tap broke in the hole. :unsure:
Needless to say, a forged tap isn't going to give up easy. And there is no easy way to get the nut plate out or even to the back side of it.

Cleaned all the nut plates on the doors except for one that still has broken bolt in it.
That will have to wait as it started raining.The joys of working on a "field car".

·
Premium Member
Chattanooga TN
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
She just has to make the show. We would all miss her presence. We had all the early meet and greets at nelly belle, all the moon pies, rc cola, historic baseball games, exhaust cut outs, magic 8 ball, checker roof transformation, bass strapped to the roof, fun runs, holy cow!
The best quote about the Nationals I ever heard was the one where a guy replied to the question ,
"Are you going to the Nationals?"
"I'll be there, or my ashes will be!"
was his reply.(y)

Might have to haul it, but it will be there.
And that wouldn't be the first time it was hauled to the show.

And how do you remember all the crazy things I put old NelleyBelle through?:D

Reactions: Dragsix

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
The best quote about the Nationals I ever heard was the one where a guy replied to the question ,
"Are you going to the Nationals?"
"I'll be there, or my ashes will be!"
was his reply.(y)

Might have to haul it, but it will be there.
And that wouldn't be the first time it was hauled to the show.

And how do you remember all the crazy things I put old NelleyBelle through?:D
Think you hauled Nellybelle in the first year didn’t you? See you soon.
Larry

·
Premium Member
Chattanooga TN
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Think you hauled Nellybelle in the first year didn’t you? See you soon.
Larry
It was the second year, got it painted and the engine started knocking. Always something.
See you there.

Reactions: Dragsix

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
John if your intention is to make the new wagon a driver I have a good used cable retractor you can have let me know when you will be @ a Cleveland cruise in & we can meet up.
Thanks for the headliner / tack strip pix the shop manual pix are not very good.

·
Premium Member
Chattanooga TN
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
John if your intention is to make the new wagon a driver I have a good used cable retractor you can have let me know when you will be @ a Cleveland cruise in & we can meet up.
Thanks for the headliner / tack strip pix the shop manual pix are not very good.
Both retractors will be replaced on this old wagon.
You can have the one that works to make a complete set for someone.
Didn't go to Cleveland last Saturday, too hot!
Will go in September and October.

·
Premium Member
Chattanooga TN
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Ok, a little more demolition today.
Removed all the bolts that hold the body to the frame. Well, not so much removed as broke. All of them twisted apart except one.
The only thing holding the body to the frame is the steering shaft. (And the emergency brake cable that I keep forgetting to remove.)

Chased all the nut plates for the doors.

A 5/16 NF24 tap did the trick.
Used PB Blaster for a lubricant.

Both passenger side front door lower nut plates were beyond repair. Will have to find another pair.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts