Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
Chattanooga TN
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Minor update from labor day weekend.
Finally got the passenger side rear axle out and removed the emergency brake assembly.

Next step is to build a cage inside the body for support.

·
Premium Member
Chattanooga TN
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
Minor update.
Ok, show season is over and the weather is absolutely perfect here in the Tennessee Valley. So, back to work on the old wagon.

Cleaned up under the dash.

Power brake set up...

New to me, these pieces are part of the kick panel, mounted to the front door jamb.

The old wagon had blue windless at one time.
Factory would have been copper.

You can see some poorly painted black on the door jambs. Must have been black with a blue interior at one time.

Oh if these cars could talk.

·
Premium Member
Chattanooga TN
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
John, just asking, but is this a new project destined as number three in your expanding stable? Do we have a name yet?

Well, the engine from Hohen was being rebuilt because I always wanted to rebuild one as a kid. Now 50 years later I get the chance to do that. So the original plan was to build it and then put it in a car, preferably a 4 door hardtop, but i found this wagon first. So yes, it is wagon number three. They are addictive!
But wait, there's more. I intend to rebuild the powerglide , the rearend the works. I'm trying to figure out how to hide an ac compresser in an original power steering pump, electric power steering in the dash and so much more.

Stay tuned. :unsure:

You know me, I can't leave well enough alone!😜

·
Premium Member
Chattanooga TN
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
After "playing around" at the Mecum Auction last weekend, it's back to work.

Pulled into the shop for some welding

My first welding job, so no, you don't get a close up of the welds. 😜

Just made up the bracing as I went along.
When the body comes off the frame and floor is cut out hopefullythe B pillars won't move too much.

Using a Hobart Handler 140 form Northern Tool with solid wire and 75-25 Argon- CO2 .
Certainly a learning curve to making a good weld.
Fortunately I had a pro on hand to help out.

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
12,240 Posts
Bracing looks good, I would only suggest adding in some that bolt to the door hinge to strikers. Like these on Bertha that Jason did.

Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Wheel

·
Premium Member
Chattanooga TN
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Bracing looks good, I would only suggest adding in some that bolt to the door hinge to strikers. Like these on Bertha that Jason did.

View attachment 350411
Definitely needed on a 4 door Harttop.
Probably also needed on the wagon aswell.
It hasn't been lifted yet so there is still time to add them. Gonna let Brandon give my welds a once over before he does anything drastic. (y)

Reactions: ETriggs

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
12,240 Posts
Definitely needed on a 4 door Harttop.
Probably also needed on the wagon aswell.
It hasn't been lifted yet so there is still time to add them. Gonna let Brandon give my welds a once over before he does anything drastic. (y)
4 door hardtop is second only to the convertible for needs in bracing. But I prefer to remove unneeded bracing later than having to repair strange body flex and/or wrinkling from not enough bracing. 2 door sedan needs the least.

·
Premium Member
Chattanooga TN
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 · (Edited)
Ok, it's been a year but hopefully I'm back on track to get this old wagon back on the road. Life got in the way and there was a job change thrown in just to keep it interesting.
Got to admit that I also lost the fire to work on my wagons for awhile. Summer heat has finally given way to more fall like weather so no more excuses, time to get back in the garage.

Now I've still been working on old cars, just not mine. My glass guy, Eric, is building a '64 Chevy II SuperSport and we are trading stainless polishing on his car for glass install on my wagons.
(true SS, the numbers are correct)

Stainless is just about done.

He and his dad have been working on it for about a year and it is nearly finished. Painting it the factory color Goldwood Yellow.

Edit: the Chevy II in primer...

Rounding up parts for The Engine Stand.
Found brand new 5 leaf springs and some 14" chevy wheels locally.
They came with 1960 impala wheel covers with spinners.

And just arrived today an alternator that looks just like an original generator for the 283.

Now that I have spent all this money on parts I have to put them on the car, right? Right!

Keep on wrenching!

·
Premium Member
Chattanooga TN
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Well, after searching high and low I settled for the 14” wheels with the Impala wheel covers.
They have the nubs but are not 57 wheels.
Now I find a set of real 57 wheels not 10 miles from my house.
Go figure.
Can’t have too many parts, right?😀
Tire Automotive tire Tread Wheel Wood

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
12,240 Posts
Well, after searching high and low I settled for the 14” wheels with the Impala wheel covers.
They have the nubs but are not 57 wheels.
Now I find a set of real 57 wheels not 10 miles from my house.
Go figure.
Can’t have too many parts, right?😀
View attachment 381682
That’s how it works for me, I search for the right part, can’t find it and buy an alternative. 5 minutes after I buy it, I find the part I want for cheaper….

·
Premium Member
Chattanooga TN
6,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 · (Edited)
And here they are on the wagon.

Ok, got a couple of broken lugs and I'm thinking it will be a good idea to replace them all.
Looks like the front wheel lugs are longer than the rear wheel lugs.
Front lugs are also rounded on the end, rears are flat with an indentation.
What is a good replacement lug and lugnut that will look like original equipment?

Reactions: ETriggs

·
Trifive Certified Restoration Shop
3,545 Posts
You can get the replacement studs and lug nuts through local parts store. Look up Dorman products and find the correct one(s) and give them the number. They'll order it for you. Or order them online, your choice.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts