Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yup, that would be me. I posted recently about not being able to get 2 brand new electric fuel pumps to work. For the life of me, I couldn't figure what was wrong. Both came on but wouldn't pump the fuel. I took some suggestions from the previous thread, but still couldn't get neither to work. I thought I'd have to take off and return the 2nd one, but first I wanted to try something. I bought a 5' piece of rubber gas line and unhooked the steel line just in front of the clear glass filter by the carb. I clamped this piece of line on and tried sucking gas from the tank to the front. I thought maybe the pump needed a little prime. I was able to get some gas through the line and I tried the pump; nothing. I tried the siphon again with the same result. At least now I knew the pickup tube attached to the sending unit was ok. I turned the pump on again and listened to it in the hose. No doubt it was on and trying to work. I then put my finger over the line and there was suction. OMG. I knew immediately what was wrong. I shut it off and took a look at the pump. On the bottom of the pump, there are in/out with arrows. Yes, I had it on backyards. I had the inlet line feeding the outlet of the pump. Of course this isn't going to work. I could have swore that I had it on right. I think in the previous thread I was even asked if I had it going in the right dirtection. Of course I responded. No one can put that on backyards; except me. So, I changed it around, hooked everything up and turned it on. That pump made some noise. I watched the filter slightly fill and stop. Not much at all. Now what??? Why does this always happen to me?? I then realized that I had drained the tank to change the pump and there was no gas in it. No sense in being stupid unless you show it. I put 10 gals. of gas in it, the pump picked it up and I drove the car out of the garage. Having had enough, I set up my lawn chair, had a nice cup of coffee, listened to the birds chirp, watched butterflies come by, saw 2 squirrels chasing each other and even smelled the fragrance of some flowers. A beautiful morning afterall, Carmine.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Now that's good for a laugh!

I had a similar event recently when I was changing my leaf springs. I noticed this spot that looked like something was rubbing near the rear shackle. I thought to myself..."self...what's this shiny patch of metal doing here? Oh, you have you outer shackle on backwards!"

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,430 Posts
Way to go Carmine....Glad you got it fixed :):congrats:

·
Administrator
50,561 Posts
We have all pulled what i call "bone head stunts" such as yours. Most of us just don`t want to admit it.;)

Glad you figured out your dilemma and got it straightened out.
Terry

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Carmine...you are a very wise man. We all make mistakes, how few admit it, learn from it and then share the experience with others?

Ignorance is doing the same thing after knowing it to be wrong and expecting a different result...you...you're a teacher.

All the best

7,080 Posts
Hi Carmen. You can not top me, but we are not gonna talk about that now. Thanks for posting, I needed that smile. Lloyd :bowtier: :shakehands:

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I'm glad I finally resolved what the problem was. Alot of extra grief and work for nothing. Carelessness on my part. Learn from me. Read the instructions and bottom of the pump. When you have it installed and it doesn't work, maybe, just maybe, you have it on backyards.

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
Yeah, I'm glad I finally resolved what the problem was. Alot of extra grief and work for nothing. Carelessness on my part. Learn from me. Read the instructions and bottom of the pump. When you have it installed and it doesn't work, maybe, just maybe, you have it on backyards.
Instructions, what instructions? We're supposed to read something before we install it? Real men don't read instructions or ask for directions, do they? I'm 66 yrs old and it took me this long to find this site, maybe I should have "read the instructions". Sure would have helped a long time ago. I'm sort of like the children of Israel - wandered in the wilderness for 40 years, wouldn't listen to instructions. Thanks Carmine for sharing your experiences.

·
Premium Member
2,521 Posts
Me too.

Carmine, thanks for posting about your ultimately successful experience. It makes me feel better about myself knowing I'm not the only one singing the same song. Things are just not as clear as they once seemed to be.

I think you and I could be a comedy act if we worked alongside each other. Call the producers!

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Glad you figured it out Carmine!. Takes some doing admitting you pulled a "bonehead" in front of everyone.:):tu

I think if you work on old cars and were honest all of us have done something stupid in our past...and will probably do something else in the future:)

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I think.........

we all see a bit of ourselves in your post.
we all have made errors, (some of which we will not mention!)
I too, have repeated the same error, and expected a different outcome.
as a youth, I always was in a hurry, and made a lot of mistakes,
now that I'm older, I still make mistakes, but have learned how to cover them up, LOL.
the old adage of measure twice, cut once, still works for me,
but now its read twice , try to do it right once!
Thanks for your honesty.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I once gave a 66 chevelle a tune up and forgot to put the rotor back in after changing the points. Even pulled the cap off a half dozen times to recheck the gap on the points, then put the cap back on. Took close to an hour to realize that the rotor wasn't on the distributor.:confused0006:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.