Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is very near and dear to me as I was instrumental in constructing and maintaining the Missing Man Table for my VFW. Most Veteran organizations have one of these tables set up. If you ever get a chance to visit a veterans organization, and they have a Missing Man Table, you will have knowledge of its meaning.

The missing man table is set up in honor of those who have fallen or are missing in action. Each one is slightly different and may not follow the rules precisely, but there are some specific requirements for the table:
•The table is set up during events when a group is dining, or where there would be tables set up. It consists of a single place setting for small events. Larger events dictate six place settings to represent the five branches of the military, along with a sixth setting to represent civilians who’ve died or gone missing while serving alongside the armed forces.
•The table should be round to represent the everlasting concern of the survivors missing their loved ones.
•The tablecloth should be white, representing the purity of intentions when responding to the country’s call to arms.
•There should be a vase with a single red rose. The red represents the blood that many have shed protecting the freedoms of the United States of America.
•The vase should be tied with a yellow ribbon representing the yellow ribbons worn by people ensuring that those who cannot be with us are not forgotten.
•There should be a slice of lemon on the plate representing the bitter fate of those gone missing.
•Salt should be sprinkled on the plate representing the tears of the families as they wait for the missing.
•A Bible represents strength gained through faith.
•The glass should be inverted, representing the fact that the missing cannot partake.
•The chair is empty and should be leaning against the table, signifying that the table is reserved, and that the missing and fallen are not present.
•And finally, there is a candle “reminiscent of the light of hope which lives in our hearts to illuminate their way home, away from their captors, to the open arms of a grateful nation.”

:gba:

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Our honor guard set one up at our annual banquet last year. I was impressed and humbled. July 4th, represents so much, and over the years so many have paid the ultimate price to preserve our freedom. I will never forget their sacrifice and would welcome any of them at my dinner table.
Thank you for sharing this, many folks have never seen this.

·
Administrator
66,126 Posts
Did not know that, very interesting read, in the description it states that the vase should have a yellow ribbon, what does the red ribbon around the vase in the picture mean.

·
Registered
67,729 Posts
thanks for sharing max. :flag6:

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did not know that, very interesting read, in the description it states that the vase should have a yellow ribbon, what does the red ribbon around the vase in the picture mean.
Thank you for asking:
It means the same. Some use yellow, others use red. Its a symbol of the commitment and determination to account for our missing.
max

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Thanx for posting. Never seen one. Touching

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
I learned something new today Max Thanks for posting... Later, Dave :gba:

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I believe all those who have served to protect our freedom whether they gave the ultimate, wounded, missing or made it home safely, will receive an eternal reward sometime beyond the grave. All things positive will be known to all. Thank you Max and Everyone this applies to.

·
Administrator
66,126 Posts
Thank you for asking:
It means the same. Some use yellow, others use red. Its a symbol of the commitment and determination to account for our missing.
max
Thanks Max for clearing that up :tu

·
Premium Member
5,576 Posts
It is a very humbling part of ceremonies for me muchlike taps being played thanks for sharing on this specialsday.

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Thanks , Mike.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts