Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... I have to admit, I feel pretty down tonight.

I parted with an old friend tonight. My 1968 Mercury Cougar. I got it in High School back in 1986, it only had just a tick over 20,000 miles on it then. I did all the stupid things that high school kids do in cars, and that poor old car managed pretty well. It got me through high school and even stood on shaky legs to get me most of the way through college. It won a little money for me bracket racing too.

It hasn't been licensed or insured since 1997. I kept it drivable, but the trans was toast and the motor just didn't have the juice it needed. The valve springs were totally shot, red line was about 4,000 rpm. I kept it clean, moved it from place to place, driving it about once a month in parking lots and such just to stretch it's legs a bit.

I have a really young friend I met though a sportbike club. He and I were talking, and one thing led to another... and I sold the car to him. I am really happy he got it, he seems really excited to have it.

For a long time the car had been an boat anchor, always a problem I had to think about. It even got stolen a couple of years ago, and turned up a year later... $300 in towing and storage fees got it back to me. I really, really was tired of looking at that thing. I was pretty happy to think it was going to be someone elses problem! I have money to fix it up if I wanted, but the idea just didn't sound like any sort of fun.

But....

Then I followed the guy who bought the car home (to make sure he made it ok). I drove behind him for about 10 miles. It was a real bummer to see it drive down the road, just like it used to. No smoke, no overheating in the Phoenix afternoon heat... it drove just fine. The trusty old Cougar.

Oh well. It had to be done. I have to make room for a 55 Sedan!

One funny note: The guy who bought it was driving away from my apartment complex, he was maybe 300 feet away. This older bearded guy on a bicycle rides up, and yells, "Keep the cat! Beautiful car!" and giving the guy a huge thumbs up! I couldn't believe it!

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts
Sometimes it is better to let the car be someone elses dream. Let them stay up at night thinking of what to do to it and how it will look after they get finished with it. It was a good friend to you and now it will be someone elses friend. Thats pretty much how we all get our cars. Someone wants to move on. I am betting the previous owner of your 55 sedan watched you as you pulled too. Now... start staying up at night thinking about what you are going to do with the 55 sedan and how it is going to look when you are finished.... That will make it easier to let go of the Cougar. We feel your pain buddy...

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I always feel a twang of regret after I sell each car that I build but the excitement of the search and planning for the next one soon takes over!

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Late 55 said:
I always feel a twang of regret after I sell each car that I build but the excitement of the search and planning for the next one soon takes over!
Yeah... I know what you mean!

All of a sudden I felt MUCH better last night.

I have been super busy lately with some ebay selling and selling the Cougar, all in prep for finding a 55 chevy. Things are finally winding down, so I was checking all the little nooks and cranys (is that how you spell that?) of the web when I found this:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/car/165511714.html

I guess I am going to go look at it this morning!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I know what you mean !!

I have an old 82 Honda CBX ( 1000cc inline six cylinder )
that I couldn't afford in 82, but paid twice showroom price
in 2003 to own the beast. It was the baddest superbike
on the street in 82, but now, the ninjas and others can blow it away.

Still, theres nothing as much fun as owning and riding/driving these
old classics. The CBX still pulls so smooth it feels like an electric motor.

I'm going to have to move it to make room for my "newer" projects
and I sure don't look forward to watching it drive off.

Maybe I'll win the Lottery and be able to build that big garage:D :D :D

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bama!

I am a sportbike guy, and those CBX's are sweet! I love the way those motors look! I always thought a CBX would make a sweet chopper.

Does your bike have the vented disc brake rotors on the front? A CBX is only bike I have ever seen with those.

G

·
If you miss the car, let me know. I'm in the middle of painting a 68 Cougar that I wish I never started. I can hook you up! I just picked up a 55 2 door sedan that I can't wait to get started on. I've thought about abandoning the Cougar project at least six billion times!

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
gconnsr said:
If you miss the car, let me know. I'm in the middle of painting a 68 Cougar that I wish I never started. I can hook you up! I just picked up a 55 2 door sedan that I can't wait to get started on. I've thought about abandoning the Cougar project at least six billion times!
Hey! Look at you trying to find a car!! :)

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/car/168568980.html

Good luck on finding a car!

Unless we both want the same car, then I don't wish you good luck ! :D

Seriously, I hope you have better luck than I did.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/car/159872642.html

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
gconnsr said:
I had a guy e-mail me about a tubbed 56 for 5k, but he can't send pictures until he gets it back from soda blasting. full cage, 9 inch with 4 link. Hey says he has 3 times that into the car. I'm not sure if the guys serious about selling it. I found this in S.F. http://www.craigslist.org/nby/car/167576781.html I'm almost tempted to do 4 door to 2 door conversion!
Dude... be patient! (coming from a guy that's been looking for 4 months+) You'll find a two door soon enough. It seems like you can handle more of a project than I can, so if I see something that would work for you I will let you know!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts