Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This happened several years ago, I just remembered it last night as I was coating the trunk pan of my Bel Air in POR-15.

It was back in the summer of 1996...maybe 95....eh, who cares. My cousin had a 55 Bel Air 2 door hardtop that we could cruise around in. (I say had because he sold it shortly before joining the Marines). The car was decent looking but by no means a show stopper - a really nice driver. Black with a red interior, relatively stock 327 that sounded awesome with the exhaust he had on it.

Well, one night we were cruising around; not much else to do on Merritt Island, and decided to pull into McDonalds for a quick bite. We pull into the parking lot, and there is a yellow Lamborghini something-or-other parked diagonally across a couple parking spots with a small crowd gathered around it. Since you don't see those cars every day, we decided to park nearby and check it out.

We hadn't even gotten in a parking space before everyone's head turned to my cousin's 55. He backed it into a space (he NEVER pulled into a space fowards, I have no idea why) and before we were even out of the car, most of the small crowd that had previously been admiring the Lamborghini had now migrated over to the Bel Air and some had even already correctly identified it as a 55.

There is something about a TriFive, there just has to be. We were in that parking lot for over an hour talking to people, just swapping stories about cars we had owned and cars that people we knew had owned. It wasn't long before everyone who had been checking out the Lambo was now standing by my cousin's Bel Air, and even people driving by to go to the drive thru were complimenting his car.

It was as if the Lamborghini wasn't even there. The owner of this car was obviously enjoying the attention before we showed up, he never once came over to see the Bel Air and actually got in his car and left after a short while.

And today I was thinking about it as I was working on my Bel Air, wondering why a 55 Chevy would draw a bigger crowd than an exotic Italian sports car. And then it hit me....that Bel Air brought back a lot of good memories for these people. It made them recall good times and just generally feel better, as opposed to the other car which was basically bragging rights for the extremely wealthy.

That's just another example of the power of a TriFive!

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
[that Bel Air brought back a lot of good memories for these people. It made them recall good times and just generally feel better, as opposed to the other car which was basically bragging rights for the extremely wealthy.

That's just another example of the power of a TriFive![/QUOTE];)

I get the same type of thing when I drive around in my '55 BelAir and it's not even been restored. These cars just take everybody back to a simpler time in their lives or for the younger generation that didn't get to experience that era, to breifly live the stories they've heard about that time.:)

LONG LIVE THE TRIFIVE!!!:D

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I've had similar experiences with my '55. especially with the "older" crowd. They love to reminisce about simpler times. "The good old days".

Tom

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hi everybody I also have alot of people that know Im working on my 57' stop me and ask how things are going with it ,that usually starts with them talking about what a simpler time that was I have to agree you know these cars are great theropy it seems like if I had a bad day and I go out by the (old girl) 57' I just start feeling better in fact my family will tell me to go out to my shop for my theropy session .I sometimes will be there and friends of my boys will stop over and want to sit around the trifive and want to here stories of the good old days of course I think thats great the younger crowd is interested . Sal

·
Registered
875 Posts
Hey I know what you mean. I had a kid come up to me one day and said hey mister that is a cool 57 chevy. He was about 9 years old and he knew what kind of car it is, I get stopped all the time and people say I used to have one or my Dad had one or somebody had one.

·
Administrator
49,643 Posts
That is a good story and proof that money can`t always buy the most popular or beautiful ride. I`ve heard stories like that about vette owners and tri-fives together and the tri-five getting more attention. And the 57 is the most beautiful car ever built. HAHA.
Terry

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think if you took a poll, most people have 57 Chevy name recognition down pat. Even women! Their like Sea Ray boats, Harley Davidson, and Rolex. May not know much about them, but they know of them. Some say the 32 Ford is the ultimate hotrod, but the 57 is by far the most popular (liked) car around. Cool fins, the sexiest headlights ever...... draping a fender. I only sold my 7 to get a 5 cause I think their a little "badder" (tougher) looking :)
No doubt that 9 year old kid knew his stuff.!!!!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Haha, i used to work for Sea Ray boats.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've only got one more car related story that is funny.

A friend of mine has a 7O Chevelle SS396 (hate to say it, but he used to whoop my cousin's 55 on a regular basis). Again, back in high school, my friend and I were on the way to Orlando, which was about a 45 minute drive from our hometown.

Anyway, we're about halfway there when a highway patrolman pulls up behind us and flips on the lights. We weren't speeding, so we figured maybe there was a tail light out or something. The officer saunters over to the driver's side window and takes my friends info, but before he went back to the car to run the license he shined the light in the car looked around a bit.

Couple minutes later, he walks back and hands my friend back his license and registration. He then surprised us by asking if he could search the car. Since we had nothing to hide and we were both scared-to-death high school students, we agreed and he had us stand a pretty good distance away from the car.

Well, he looked over the entire interior, every nook and cranny. The officer then popped the hood and looked at the engine, again searching every corner of the engine bay. He then shined the light along the lower edge of the car, then got on his hands and knees, in the grass, and searched underneath the car.

By this point, we were bewildered, but said nothing as he looked down the entire length of the car. Finally, he asked my friend to open the trunk; my friend nervously complied and the officer searched the trunk as thoroughly as he had searched the rest of the car.

Finally, I heard the officer say to my friend, "Are you the owner of this vehicle?" My friend nodded.

"Will you take $3500 for it?"

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
9,468 Posts
"Will you take $3500 for it?"
Reminds me of my '71 Lincoln Mark IV coupe, except since it was a dark tinted coupe with wire wheels, I was confused with "other" types of individuals since I used to drive around on the south side of Tucson. Got pulled over by about half of the South Tucson police department and pulled out of the car. Needless to say that after 15 minutes of searching me and my car I was released and told "not to drive slow in South Tucson anymore." But the lighter side of the incident, one of the officers said to me after the majority of the left, "Sure is a nice car! What did it cost?" I told him that is was a gift from my boss where I worked after school. I sold it after high school and I sure miss that 460CID motor!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
There was a discussion some time ago on another message board I frequent about cars and name recognition.It was decided amongst all of us geniuses that the top three cars that were most easily recognized by the last two digits of the year were....32-nearly everyone replied Ford.....40-Again,the nearly unanimous response was Ford and ....55-Almost 100% said Chevrolet.It was also the majorities opinion that these three were the most recognized iconic cars of all time.Very unscientific study.....I don't think there was a single PHD among us :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
I drive my 55 everyday and park it behind the used cars at a local Chevy dealership where I work. I usually get an average of 5 to 6 inquires a day is it for sale and how much you got in it and all the other comments like my father had one just like that only it was a four door and came from the factory with a 409 and my first car was a 55 and if it was for sale what would you ask for it lol And Wal-Mart get ready for 5 to 10 minutes of oman is that thing sharp does it drive good and I like that color lol

dokelle

1 - 17 of 17 Posts