Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So despite the last post of where we are going with this build, heres the short of it. My dad had this truck for over 30 years and never got it done. After I got married and seeing me build cars (and a few cases of beer) I got him to give it to me. And to do it right, I not only have to do it right but go back and fix what he didn't do right. Its a 57 big window step side. The plan is to go with streetable geers, 3.73 or 3.55, carbd 350 auto trans power brakes with discs in the front and other things that make it driveable. Biggest thing is to sanitary and overall driveable for long distances. So with that in mind, its had to go down to the frame....

The frame actually is pretty straight and rust free so that helps. The direction of the build is to build the rear end, freshen up the rear discs, do front suspension and brakes. Plumb the brakes with new power system, a fuel system in frame then drop in the motor trans and driveline. Lastly, manage to get the cab and bed worked installed and essentially finishing the truck. First things first. Does anyone know what rear end this is? I know its a GM 10 bolt but what exactly gear set should I order? Furthermore, the hole in the front was done by my dad to get the alternator to fit because it was apparently the thing years ago to not have the alternator up on the top side of the motor blocking the tunnel ram he was using. Any ideas on how to go about patching that? Thanks for the help and as this goes along, more pics will be to come.

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, Im hoping a little everyday and well be there. Gotta figure out what gears to put in that rear end and what it is so I know what to order. Tomorrow I am gonna work on that hole and also part of the frame has to be cut out back due to pops welding a receiver on it. Pics to follow.

·
Premium Member
15,888 Posts
That looks like a stock rear to me. My 57 Suburban had the same in it with 3.08 gears. I'm not sure if new gears are available for those rears. I used an 87 K5 Blazer rear with 3.42 gears in mine. It is almost a bolt in and I wanted to keep the 6 lug bolt pattern. They are not hard to find and are usually pretty cheap. :anim_25:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea Im pretty sure its stock but my dad put in 4.10s which gots to go!! what else would I need to know if I was trying to locate gears? Im assuming the width of the ring gear as well huh

1 - 5 of 5 Posts