Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 906 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after a nice deep sleep after the 16 hour road trip yesterday to bring Johns Nomad back to my house from Brookdale, John and i spent about 5 hours in the garage going over his Nomad and what all he would like done, and all the new parts he has for it.

So the list goes some thing like this on what my end of the job will be....

New A.A.W. wiring harness, Rain Gear Window wipers, New gas tank and sending unit. Fat Matting the firewall all the way to the rear of the car and installing a new Firewall pad. I also found a couple of little rust spots in the very rear floor board of the Nomad that i am going to remove and weld in some fresh metal back in. I am also going to weld the holes for the old shock towers in the rear floor pan shut since he has a shock tower already installed. New heater core and all new seals and gaskets for the Deluxe heater assembly. Installing a new stock fuel gauge & water temp gauge and sending unit. All new door and window seals. New valve covers and seals and some other stuff i have sure i have forgotten to post up :sign0020:

His seats and all his new door panels are at his interior guy's shop, and as soon as we get the front seat back for the upholstery shop and installed back into the car, i will post up pics.

Now John thought he was going to go back home and relax until next week end when comes back up to my house to work on the Nomad ...GUESS AGAIN my friend :sign0020: all his chrome Garnish trim that goes around the headliner was looking a little on the shabby side, and needed some polishing and some T.L.C., so i removed all his interior trim and stuck it in the trunk of his car so he does not get bored and has some thing to do all this week....:sign0020:

Dan (nad427)

While i was at Summit with John today, he bought the Painless wiring wire cover, the sizes come in 1/4", 1/2" & 3/4", i think maybe the 3/4" cover will cover the wires thickness you are talking about......

Rick

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,574 Posts
Gonna be a busy few weeks Rick, but off to a good start. Glad you pointed out about the interior not being involved in the trip, hence why no photos of the new seats other than this one I was able to sneak a peak at.

·
Trifive Certified Restoration Shop
3,422 Posts
Gonna be a busy few weeks Rick, but off to a good start. Glad you pointed out about the interior not being involved in the trip, hence why no photos of the new seats other than this one I was able to sneak a peak at.

I've got a spare seat like that.

:sign0020:

Hey, ya gotta start somewhere right?

·
Registered
5,144 Posts

Hey Randy is that one going to the upholstery shop too?:sign0020:

·
Registered
67,743 Posts
will be looking forward to pics and progress. :tu

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
interior

Good luck Rick, you will have it done in no time, wish I were closer to you I would give you a hand. Later Bill

·
Registered
870 Posts
Have some fun with this one, pretty cool that you are helping out, maybe I can come over and tell you what to do!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
13,596 Posts
t up pics.
Dan (nad427)While i was at Summit with John today, he bought the Painless wiring wire cover, the sizes come in 1/4", 1/2" & 3/4", i think maybe the 3/4" cover will cover the wires thickness you are talking about......Rick
Rick, thanx for checking into that for me, I appreciate it.
One more, does it come in black?

Also, I didn't get up close enough to see exactly what you guys were talking about when you were discussing what I thought was Johns oil pan. If I'm out to lunch on my understanding feel free to get out the wet noodle. If I understood correctly though, here's the tri5 conversion pan.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261283726980?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
John ; Rick's neighbour says he's pulled the Nomad's windshield out and started grinding out all those spotwelds holding the dash in . You didn't say you were getting a 55 dash , did you ? You didn't know he had a spare 55 dash , did you ? LOL . Be safe...Bob.

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Hey Bob they misunderstood me and put a 55 Nash dash in the nomad.
NO 55 dash in the Nomad guys.....that would be a CARDINAL SIN in my book, I LOVE all of Johns chromed speedo cluster, glove box & ash tray just the way it is :)

Like i stated before, if my more door was a hard top and worth a little more in value, i would have never changed the dash out in the first place.

Johnny boy...

Looks like you made it to your sisters house safe and sound :tu

So i was watching the weather, and it looks like we might be getting some rain on Wednesday & Thursday, i guess we picked the perfect week end to bring the Nomad up to my house. Maybe i will get lucky and i will get rained out from work for a couple of days so i can sink my teeth into the Nomad and get things rolling....

So speaking of the Nomad, i have had all day to think about how i want to tackle this project, and i think i am going to go about in this direction....

I want to get her up on jack stands and slide the rear axle forward so i can drop the fuel tank, and leave it out for awhile.
Having the gas tank out will give me great access to the bottom and top side of the rear floor board so i can weld shut, cut out and replace the couple of rust spots we discussed yesterday. I will also leave the tank out until i cover the back floor in the Fat Mat so it will leave me room, and i can access and poke holes threw the Fat Mat from the bottom side of the car were the plywood screws go down to so i am no searching in the dark for the exciting holes....

Speaking of plywood, do you still have the old piece that was in the back, or do you plan on re-placing it?

I am hoping bye the time i get up to were the front seat goes, you might have the seat back from the upholstery shop so we can mount the new brackets in, and mount the seat to them so we can see were we want to drill the new holes for the seat belts if you do decide to purchase a new set of lap belts, i am sure with the new seat brackets, the old holes are not even going to come close, so i will just remove the eye bolts from the floor board and weld the holes shut. Buy the way here is a link to the place i used for the 3 point and lap belts for the rear of the 57 https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/

Also if you don't feel like coming up again next week end i understand, it ms make better sense to come up when all the parts show up at your house :)

This restoration project will be one John and Rick will never forget...me either.
I second that one Jim......i am just VERY HAPPY to be apart of it, and i want too see John's grin from ear to ear once he is driving his Nomad again :happy0022:

Rick

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Rick, I looked at that piece with the bad chrome and had to have it replated. there is no amount of elbow grease that will bring that one back.
That sucks brother.....but i think you already new that when i removed it and handed it to you :sign0020:

They are calling for snow and chain control tomorrow, so do your snow dance naked :elefant: and maybe i will get lucky and get to skip work so i can get cracking on the NOMAD :tu

Rick

1 - 20 of 906 Posts