Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A major chlorine shortage is set to spoil summertime fun in the swimming pool.
  • As homeowners start to prep swimming pools for the season, they will face a widespread chlorine shortage.
  • In some parts of the country, pool supply stores have imposed quantity restrictions. In other areas, prices for chlorine tablets have already doubled from last year.
  • A pandemic swimming pool boom created higher demand for chlorine, then a major chemical plant fire in Louisiana knocked some production offline, resulting in a shortage

Registered
A major chlorine shortage is set to spoil summertime fun in the swimming pool.
  • As homeowners start to prep swimming pools for the season, they will face a widespread chlorine shortage.
  • In some parts of the country, pool supply stores have imposed quantity restrictions. In other areas, prices for chlorine tablets have already doubled from last year.
  • A pandemic swimming pool boom created higher demand for chlorine, then a major chemical plant fire in Louisiana knocked some production offline, resulting in a shortage
What pandemic?馃槉馃椊

Premium Member
馃槤馃槏Love these doom and gloom headlines!

Anyway, upgraded to a salt water pool a while back, no issues here.

Registered
I have a salt water pool also. But you still use shock which is chlorine to open or close the pool. My pool guy told me he can鈥檛 get any pool liners and has only 10 above ground pools to sell this season.

Registered
Just remember that chlorine is available at your local grocery store. Been using it for years for start-up and shutdown.

Premium Member
I have a salt water pool also. But you still use shock which is chlorine to open or close the pool. My pool guy told me he can鈥檛 get any pool liners and has only 10 above ground pools to sell this season.
Been using non-chlorine shock and I have no complaints, maybe something to consider, if you haven鈥檛 already of course.

Best wishes!

Registered
reminds me of the fellow who spent the entire day at the theater watching the same movie over and over. He explained that there was this one scene where these girls change into their swimming suits but just as they start to change a train comes by and all you could see was their legs. He said that he know that if he watched it long enough that sooner or later that train was going to be late.

Registered
If you reside south east creeks, ponds etc. are home to gators suggest salt water.
Bleach works I often used it in my FL pool.

Registered
At this point I can't help but wonder how many of these "shortages" are real, and how many are fabricated to jack up prices as companies see what kind of profits other companies are making during this whole event?

Registered
It appears that the only shortage is for the 3" Tri-cloro tablets. The plant that makes them blew up and they make a very large percentage of the tablets nationwide. There is not a shortage of Chlorine, only one manufactured product. The local stores are all sold out of 3" tablets, and even at that, the price had doubled in the last week. People will adapt to using granulated chlorine, like we did when I was a kid! We did not have any such thing as Tri-cloro tablets when I was a kid. I remember my job when I was young was checking the chlorine level in the water each day and adding chlorine every evening. you had to add chlorine at night, because the sunlight would make it disappear fast! with modern feeders with 3" tablets, I almost never need to check the chlorine level. The tabs have Cyuranic acid in them to prevent the sun from burning the chlorine away so fast. People will just have to buy regular granulated chlorine and add Cyuranic acid to the pool to stabilize the chlorine until the factory gets back into operation. I managed to get a 50 lb pail of tablets out of Florida this week, so I should be good for most, in not all of the summer. If not, I will go back to doing it the old way.

Trifive Certified Restoration Shop
It's like no one is making any pools. I've been looking for a replacement liner since March after the Iceberg in our pool ripped a 5' long tear in the side.

And if you can find on it's twice the regular price. A $900 pool last few years is now $1800-$2100 for the same pool. We had to go find some wide Flex tape and decided try and patch it for this year.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts