Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been taking the old stock 55 to small shows on and off for ten+ years.I have learned that in 55-56-57 you could get your car equipped with==disc brakes,chrome mag wheels,dual chrome mastercyl/with matching chrome booster,alum edelbrock intakes with polished edelbrock carb,chrome hi output alternators so you could power your amps and uninvented style a/c compressor.Beside the reg A M radio you could also get a C D player,tuck and roll seat covers and door panels,even on the package tray.With a very special order you could get engines from 350 to 454 cu.in.AND,,the soon to be released 4 speed auto trans with overdrive.The little ol lady who must have ordered mine only got the A M radio and two speed auto trans.P.S. This is always in the 55-56-57 stock or original class.This is not a rant,just a statement of what I have seen. and the beat goes on and on. wayne

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
shows

Wayne, not sure of your problem, do you not like the upgraded cars, or at shows are you lumped in with all of them,??Dick

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
car shows are fun!

you get to see IN PERSON, people who don't have a clue about cars!

I never argue with them, or try to correct them, just relax and enjoy the comedy show.:sign0020:

even people who should know better get caught up in the BS.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NO,not a problem.They always also have a class for 55-56-57 modified cars,but half of them go in the stock class if JOE SMITH shows up with his high dollar TRI-FIVE. I have a few trophies,but that is not why I go to shows.Have met a lot of nice and interesting people at most of them,and not all old gray beards like me.Just kinda wondering what they are really looking at.There has been a very,very nice,very stock/orig non tri-five (poncho) at some shows in 49-59 stock class.
Noticed a lot of cars in that class that are highly modified take the awards.
Just something I have thought about for a while and wondered about others thoughts. Wayne

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Wayne, you're not to listen any more to those young guys trying to impress their lady friends with their car knowledge!
Some shows allow two modifications like wheels/tires and interior. But no more. My 60 Impala always got in stock class with just a non-original interior. Everything else was stock. Never won a thing. Oh well, the beer was cold.

·
Premium Member
7,601 Posts
I have been taking the old stock 55 to small shows on and off for ten+ years.I have learned that in 55-56-57 you could get your car equipped with==disc brakes,chrome mag wheels,dual chrome mastercyl/with matching chrome booster,alum edelbrock intakes with polished edelbrock carb,chrome hi output alternators so you could power your amps and uninvented style a/c compressor.Beside the reg A M radio you could also get a C D player,tuck and roll seat covers and door panels,even on the package tray.With a very special order you could get engines from 350 to 454 cu.in.AND,,the soon to be released 4 speed auto trans with overdrive.The little ol lady who must have ordered mine only got the A M radio and two speed auto trans.P.S. This is always in the 55-56-57 stock or original class.This is not a rant,just a statement of what I have seen. and the beat goes on and on. wayne
Sounds like you are totaly blown away with the insight of Chevrolet engineers and support group to invent all those factory options years ahead of the outside world. About the only thing I haven't heard claimed as orginal is a 6-71 powered alcohol motor. Anyone here have one of them?? :hmmmm::hmmmm:

·
Registered
8,875 Posts
Frankly I do not see many STOCK cars at shows anymore. The Judges at most shows around here could not judge a stock 55, so you get lump with groups of like cars. You have to take you car to a AACA show or a true Classic Chevy Show.

:anim_25:

·
Administrator
49,481 Posts
Wayne you aren`t alone. It all depends on the show as to what some of them allow. If it has more than a few safety upgrades then to me they belong in the modified class.
Terry

·
Registered
623 Posts
Hats off to you if your 55 is still orginal! Around here a judged show has 2 classes for tri-fives, pure stock & custom. Some judges let their power go to their head, where as it should fit a lot lower!!!

Bo

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
What I see here in MI is they tend to have 3 classes for the tri-five. Stock which is all original, then modified which can have 2 or 3 upgrades, then the custom which is wide open. But its fun to watch people try to get over on the judges to just win a trophy.

Did the car show scene about 10 years ago (threw most of those cheap trophies away), don't do them anymore, I like going to to the local cruise nights and just hang out for a couple of hours, or just get a few friends and take a drive somewhere. There are cruise nights every day of the week here so that's plenty. No offense to the people that like the judged shows just not my thing anymore, except for a couple that I may go to, but then I opt out of judging.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Hard to believe any show would allow highly modified cars to be entered in a so-called "stock/original" class. Maybe organizers should have a "no billet, no discs" class for stock cars, and for cars with mild mods reminiscent of how it would have been done in the 1960s.

However, I think most organizers are nothing more than show production companies, at least that's the case around here. Those folks probably wouldn't know stock from modified, or even 55 from 56.

Just drive 'em and save your $10-$20 entry fee. Or better yet, if there's a show at a drive-in, take your car there and order some burgers. I did that once at a Sonic, and even got a choice parking spot right next to the building. One of the guys collecting entry fees didn't know what to say when I told him we were just there for burgers and cherry limeade.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wayne, I'm with you ! I have a stock 57 Bel Air 2 dr ht p/s, p/b, auto . I see other cars saying there stock and there not even close to it. I can't tell you how many people don't know what the factory brake sym looks like ! I chaps me but what can you do I don't think most guys judging even know ! Be happy with what we have and know what we have . Alan

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
some just cant do a show they do it for the money witch is fine. I built my wife a Camaro and went to a bunch of shows hear and around I went to a Camaro show in Knoxville one year and place 1st in its class and runner up best of paint! one week latter we went to a show in the next town all we did is dust the car off we dint even get a top 50! next week I took some pics of the Camaro show to work. to show some of the guys and one of the ppl who work second shift and help put the show on that we dint place at came in while we was looking at them and said man when did u put strips on that car and I said what? I look at it and I told him real fast that's not a stripe on the car that's the reflection of the stripe of the parking lot:sign0020:i then said that car took first in its class but couldn't get a top 50 at your little show a week later he look at me with his mouth wide open :sign0020:

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
The last show I took my all stock 57 BelAir 2dr.ht. to a fella came up to me and said, "It's a shame that it's not an Impala it would be worth a lot more money". I said, "Man your right, I wish it was."

7,082 Posts
Odd post, Went to show last week, no car, found out I needed crank, cam, heads, ect. Had a wonderful time visiting and looking with a member. Found out later he won first in class, WOW, deserved. Go for the show, enjoy the ride. quite worring about nothing. Please do not take this as a knock Wayne, It Is Not. :bowtier: :shakehands: :gba:

·
Registered
810 Posts
I go to the car shows to have fun and meet people. Winning is something I never expect and so far I have a perfect record. The only car that we have that is stock is a 1979 Pontiac Trans Am 400cu and 4 speed. This car has on 24000 miles verified. The only thing on this car that didn't come from factory is the Radio. The rest is original. My 57 car is anything but stock. The 57 P/U is except the motor and tranny. I just love going. I win by being there and if I make one new friend I think my self a big time winner.:flag6:

7,082 Posts
A winner in my book. :shakehands::bowtier:

·
Administrator
66,133 Posts
I usually get the people that do not own a Trifive comment on them, good & bad points, I know we cannot all own them but be very discreet not too loud when giving remarks on things you have no idea about :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts