Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are going to Dallas September 27 and back to Sweden October 7.
On our list we have planed to visit following events:
Custom keeps of America, Denison
Super Chevy, Houston
Good Guys, Fort Worth

Are there other hang outs during the week or other car shops/junk yards we have to visit while we are in the area?

Is there a shop which sells trifive parts in Dallas/Houston Area?

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,022 Posts
We are going to Dallas September 27 and back to Sweden October 7.
On our list we have planed to visit following events:
Custom keeps of America, Denison
Super Chevy, Houston
Good Guys, Fort Worth

Are there other hang outs during the week or other car shops/junk yards we have to visit while we are in the area?

Is there a shop which sells trifive parts in Dallas/Houston Area?
There's a small tri-5 parts and restoration shop in Arlington:
Classic Parts of Arlington
207 N Elm St Arlington, TX 76011
(817) 274-1957

There's a total of 18 small car shows the weekend of Sept. 28 and Oct. 5th. Usually 50 to 75 cars per show. Visit Hot Rod Happenings and click on Sept. and then Oct. to see the list. .... http://www.hotrodhappenings.com/NewTexasShowsEvents.html

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
What kind of parts are you looking for ? There's a lot of shops around, but not too many that keep a lot in stock. There is a wholesale place in lewisville that has a lot of sheetmetal. You can order through a dealer and local pick up.
I'll buy you lunch if you're in Plano during the day...

·
Registered
887 Posts
Not a car show, but if you are in Texas you need to go to the State Fair of Texas in Dallas. It starts on September 27th and ends on October 20th. They do have two buildings of new and proto cars.

http://www.bigtex.com/

My wife and my's first date, it was a blind date and we went to the State Fair of Texas. I guess it was a good first date as we just recently celebrated our 38th anniversary! We try to go ever years and have only missed a few years out of the last 40.

There is a TriFive Dealer in Longview, about two hours east of Dallas.

Classic Chevy Connection
1078 Lansing Switch Rd.
Longview, Tx 75062

Jim Hawes is the owner

·
Administrator
49,484 Posts
Also look on this site for shows: http://www.oldride.com/ . I was looking this morning and can go to a car show for the next 5 or 6 Saturdays if i want to.
Terry

·
Registered
887 Posts
I have been going the the State Fair for 45 years... while the area around the fair grounds has changed, all you need to do is park in the official State Fair parking lots and arrive and leave in daylight. They are gated and well protected. One other thing... AVOID Texas/Oklahoma weekend unless you like loud, roudy, drunk crowds!

be careful where you go in dallas. not a place to wonder around in . especially around the fair .

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Just had a work visitor from the UK for a couple of months. He especially likes the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame in Waco Texas. If your into history stuff, JFK, Bonnie and Clyde burial plots. Car wise Kellers Hamburgers on Saturday night. Thursday night car hang out Hwy 66 and Dalrock in Rowlett, Texas. Dont forget Cars and Coffee(1st Saturday of the month) North Dallas Tollway and Spring Creek Valley. In October the Forest Lane Cruise, but I think you will be out of town. Take a look on HotRodHappenings.com, then go to Texas map.

Joey

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
be careful where you go in dallas. not a place to wonder around in . especially around the fair .
Only the country bumpkins coming to town worry about Dallas. There's hitchin' posts here too. :)

Charlie

7,082 Posts
Agree. Went to one on TEX/OK weekend(never again). ZZ Top was there and it took 3 hours to go the last 3 miles into the parking area. Folks were having to get out on the side of the road to relieve themselves(especially ones drinking). Park inside the gates and no problems. Outside the gates is nothing like the more affluent Flower Mound area where my brother lives. :bowtier: Man, if anyone takes that statement for uppity, it would really hurt my feelings. Lloyd

I have been going the the State Fair for 45 years... while the area around the fair grounds has changed, all you need to do is park in the official State Fair parking lots and arrive and leave in daylight. They are gated and well protected. One other thing... AVOID Texas/Oklahoma weekend unless you like loud, roudy, drunk crowds!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Don't drive...

To the fair, ride the DART train.

7,082 Posts

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
yeah dallas is a gem . a nice walk in south dallas at sun set is always nice.
It's a shame. Dallas used to be such a great city. Now every time you turn around someone in city goverment is getting indicted or thrown in jail. I don't go into Dallas anymore if I can avoid it, and I carry a gun 24/7.

Anyway, anyone heard from the OP ? he posted up and dropped out of the discussion

·
Registered
37,251 Posts
I haven't been to Dallas in a while. Lived there from the early 70s to around 1990. Even in 1970, the Fair Park area was one you didn't want to go to at night, except for provided public parking areas, and then with caution. I live in the Houston area now, and there's places you go and don't go. And some aren't that far apart.

As far as riding the DART train, you have to be somewhere you can get on it too.

I would think that a European visitor like Rigi would enjoy the State Fair. I'd stay away on the Friday and Saturday of Texas/OU, just too busy unless you're in your teens/20s and want to be part of that part of it. But otherwise, lots of things to see and do at the Fair. A bit of culture (or our lack of it as it may).

·
Registered
887 Posts
At one point you could not carry at the fair. However that changed 2-3 years ago. You just have to tell the person with the metal detector wan that you want to see the policeman that is setting in the stand on the other side of the ticket booths and they let you through. Show the policeman your CCL permit and DL and you are good to go!
I don't go into Dallas anymore if I can avoid it, and I carry a gun 24/7.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Give me a break! I've been going to the Fair Park area for over 40 years, including the Cotton Bowl, Fairgrounds, and Music Hall. I never once felt unsafe, even at 11 PM in the parking lots.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Give me a break! I've been going to the Fair Park area for over 40 years, including the Cotton Bowl, Fairgrounds, Music Hall, and the 1984 Formula One race. I've never felt unsafe, even at 11 PM in the parking lots.

·
Registered
37,251 Posts
I agree with you Mike. Just don't push your luck and park in the neighborhoods. Which you once were tempted to do for the Texas/OU game or the Cotton Bowl game on New Year's. Don't know if they have more parking or more people parking offsite than previously. Probably so, maybe significantly.

And don't push your luck after 11 pm.

·
Registered
557 Posts
stop by Austin speed shop and fast n loud

1 - 20 of 25 Posts