Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I saw that heidts has a pretty decent looking 4 link kit for my 55 chevy for around 1500 dollars. I am seriously thinking about doing this.

Currently my car has no rearend or leaf springs in it and the leaf spring mounts are busted but the frame is still fine. I am figuring I might just be better off doing a 4 link. Any suggestions? Any input good or bad? Is it easy to install a 4 link? Do I have to fabricate or do alot of modding to make it fit?

From what I have read a 4 link will make my car handle way better and hold up to higher amounts of horsepower. I am putting a 383 stroker in probably somewhere between 425 to 475 HP if I had to guess so it might be over kill but I figure I am only gonna do it once and plan on keeping the car forever due to sentimental reasons.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi!!! I'm thinking going that same way but my budget is low so i'm thinking of buying the brakets from air ride tech. and doing my own. Take a look and please let me know what do you think about going this way.

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
If you want handling, consider a triangulated 4 link. I put one in Geoff's 56 and also in my 55.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
The one Nick P. put in my car is an Art Morrison and it is really nice.
It's tougher to install than the Heidt's but is beefier and a little more
precision, IMHO. It really is a super nice setup. Look in Nick P.'s pictures to see it.

The Heidt's is a nice unit, the only real drawback is that the exhaust has to go under the differential. The Art Morrison allows the exhaust to go over the top. (This was important to me)

The Air Ride Tech setup is a nice setup and is nicely priced, but the guys that I've seen install them have run their exhaust under their differentials, too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The one Nick P. put in my car is an Art Morrison and it is really nice.
It's tougher to install than the Heidt's but is beefier and a little more
precision, IMHO. It really is a super nice setup. Look in Nick P.'s pictures to see it.

The Heidt's is a nice unit, the only real drawback is that the exhaust has to go under the differential. The Art Morrison allows the exhaust to go over the top. (This was important to me)

The Air Ride Tech setup is a nice setup and is nicely priced, but the guys that I've seen install them have run their exhaust under their differentials, too.
All my exhuast on my car is custom bent and goes over the top of the diff. Thanks this is really great feedback. Sounds like I would have to go with the Art Morrison unless I want to alter my exhaust. Just how tough is it to install the Art Morrison? I should look at cost differences too, but I suppose money isn't really a concern. I mean if I go this route I am gonna have to say for a while to afford to do it.

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
Just to give you some visual ideas.

All my exhuast on my car is custom bent and goes over the top of the diff. Thanks this is really great feedback. Sounds like I would have to go with the Art Morrison unless I want to alter my exhaust. Just how tough is it to install the Art Morrison? I should look at cost differences too, but I suppose money isn't really a concern. I mean if I go this route I am gonna have to say for a while to afford to do it.
Below, is what we put in Geoff's 56:

Getting it all squared up:

Rear Shock Mount/Crossmember:

Note the size of the AME tube as compaired to other suppliers.

We also installed an AME center kit. There is a lot of fabrication required so be prepaired:

Ready to go out the door:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WOW that sure looks beefy, but I think I might be a little over my head if I try to install something like that???? Seeing those pictures made me realize that kit is definitley nice, but probably more work than I can handle. My car is still on the frame and I was debating taking the body off, but decided to just work with what I got for the time being. My frame is solid, but the leaf spring mounts tore out from to much power at some point in time. That why I was thinking about doing a 4 link, considering a stock 350 busted the leaf spring mounts out and I am going to put a 450 HP or so 383 stroker motor in it.

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
I understand

WOW that sure looks beefy, but I think I might be a little over my head if I try to install something like that???? Seeing those pictures made me realize that kit is definitley nice, but probably more work than I can handle. My car is still on the frame and I was debating taking the body off, but decided to just work with what I got for the time being. My frame is solid, but the leaf spring mounts tore out from to much power at some point in time. That why I was thinking about doing a 4 link, considering a stock 350 busted the leaf spring mounts out and I am going to put a 450 HP or so 383 stroker motor in it.
But, if you are thinking about this:
the install will not be much different.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you have to take the body off the frame? Also it looks like you had the car on a frame rack to do all that work which would make sense. I don't have a frame rack and I can't imagine the bill to take it somewhere to have that installed? I can take the body off the frame, but I don't have a rack to align everything and I really don't want to mess with something like this without one?

Thoughts? This is definitely a better setup than the heidts. I suppose if I am really serious this would be the way to go? At least I got time to think about it.

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
Air Ride

I went with the 4-link kit from Air Ride, easy to install and I'm very pleased with performance and handling, rides like a new car, especially with Heidts Air Ride Suspension in front. I do agree with Geoff, exhaust is an issue I wasn't expecting, no way to keep from going underneath the differential... good luck !! BDR:cool:

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
Nooop,

Did you have to take the body off the frame? Also it looks like you had the car on a frame rack to do all that work which would make sense. I don't have a frame rack and I can't imagine the bill to take it somewhere to have that installed? I can take the body off the frame, but I don't have a rack to align everything and I really don't want to mess with something like this without one?

Thoughts? This is definitely a better setup than the heidts. I suppose if I am really serious this would be the way to go? At least I got time to think about it.
You don't have to remove the body, but it certainly makes it eaiser to se and get to every spot. I have done it (full back half) in a single car carport, body on chassis - it was a PITA, but I did do it.

Having said that, because of that experience, I have a chassis jig. In fact I have two. But it can be done.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Well since you're interested in the Heidt's setup, I'll see if I can help you out a little bit. The Heidt's kit is a very nice piece IMO. I've never held the AME kit in my hand, but I've seen the frames up close and I will say the quality of the Heidt's is on par. Either the AME or the Heidt's kit would be a great way to go...

I decided to go with Heidt's suspension all the way around on our 55. I've got their narrowed front arms, spindles, etc... Also have the 4-link that you are interested in. I tried to take a lot of pics because in my travels I always had a hard time finding pictures of said parts. So hopefully my pics can help a little bit. The Heidt's 4-link is easy to setup really. The only tricky part, for us was getting the angle right on the shorter link bars. But that's because I bought ours right after they came out, and the instructions weren't the best. But they've now fixed that issue. The 4 link is a very nice riding setup. I run the coilovers on full soft, it rides incredibly smooth on a straight line, and nice and flat in the corners with the sway bar. One thing I like, because I'm also a looks guy, is the sway bar being on the top. Not really sure I like the look of the AME with the sway bar going underneath the pumpkin. It's not ugly or anything, but the bar being on top with the Heidt's setup is something I like. With that said, like another member said, running the exhaust over the axle might be a little tricky. It by no means has to go under the rear end, but it would be "easier". Which is the route we took on ours...

Anyways, I'm gonna shut up now. If you have anymore specific questions you can PM me, or throw them in here and I can answer them for others to read down the road.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Ok so here is a little history. My dad took out a loan for my 1955 Chevy for me when I was 16. He basically said happy birthday son you want it you pay for it. Anyways that car came from his highschool friend who had owned it since the 60's or so I have been told when he found it sitting behind a barn somewhere. (funny story I actually live in the house that belonged to the same guy that owned this car before me and when I bought my house I had no idea that the guy I had gotten my 55 Chevy from used to live in this same house and that the car was parked in the same garage when my dad bought it from him 16 years ago)

I am now 32 and have owned the car for 16 years. Alot of things have happened over that time, and over the years I eventually gave up on the car got married had kids etc. You know that story. Anyways it has always been a project I have had on hold as I am waiting for the right time or enought money or a bigger garage or some other excuse.

Well my dad is in his 60's and he is getting pretty sick these days, I guess its from all the crap they sprayed in Vietnam etc. Anyways he has gone through 3 cancer surgerys in the last 3 years one just last week and everytime he goes through one it seems like his health deteriorates a little more.

I would mean the world to me if I could get this car on the road and start driving it again while my dad is still around, but I know to do it right I should probably take it off the frame. Problem is I don't have the room to work on it the way it needs to be done, and I am afraid if I open up the project that big my dad won't be around to see me finish it. So I am battling the decision of what to do? reweld my leaf spring mounts put some new springs in, throw in my new 383 stroker motor I got laying in the garage and put her on the road and drive her while I start working on the body etc, or take her off the frame and start over and do it right.

I will probably die owning this car so my gut tells me do it right. But I just want my dad to be able to see it on the road again and drive it. So thats my story and whats going through my head as I decide what to do. Man those frames look really nice all done up. Makes me want to do mine more and more.

·
Registered
11,213 Posts
I would mean the world to me if I could get this car on the road and start driving it again while my dad is still around, but I know to do it right I should probably take it off the frame. Problem is I don't have the room to work on it the way it needs to be done, and I am afraid if I open up the project that big my dad won't be around to see me finish it. So I am battling the decision of what to do? reweld my leaf spring mounts put some new springs in, throw in my new 383 stroker motor I got laying in the garage and put her on the road and drive her while I start working on the body etc, or take her off the frame and start over and do it right.
QUOTE]

Your focus is a great thing to have. In this paragraph alone, it sounds like you have answered your own question. Having lost my Dad several years back, I do understand your focus and drive.

Any changes that you want to do can be done at any point in the cars life.

As a suggestion, you could possibly find a "Storage" unit were you to decide to separate the body.

O2, if you lived in my neck of the woods, considering what you would like to do and the circumstances behind it, well, you and I could knock it out in short order - labor free from me.

If I can help, let me know.

Heavenly Father, I am asking that you look down on O2's Dad, cleanse his body from the cancer. Refresh his spirit with your Grace. Envelop him with your Peace. Strengthen him to fight this cancer. Father I ask this in your Son's name. Amen

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thank you for the prayer and the very kind words of encouragment. I am still undecided as to what to do with the car, but I am definitley glad my dad just made it through his third surgery. Actually I went and visited him last week in the hospital and it sounds like they did a pretty good job this time. They got all the cancer out of his tongue and they took out the lymph nodes so now they are just waiting for the test results to come back. If all goes well he may not have to go through any radiation or other treatments.

I am actually in the middle of a bathroom remodel right now, once that is done I might start working on the 55 again if its not to cold. My garage is not heated or insulated and its way to cold to work on stuff once late fall hits. If I do decide to take the body off the frame I will probably rent a storage shed for my 63 Chevy II SS vert and my 02 fatboy.

I was actually thinking about selling my 63 SS Vert but I haven't made up my mind on that one either. Regardless shoving a 55 Chevy my Harley and my Chevy II into a 2 and a half car garage along with all kinds of parts lying around is a really tight fit. I imagine once I get back to working on the car a storage shed is probably gonna be inevitable.

The more I think about it the more I want to do it right. I just hope with all thats been going on he will be around to see it finished. I imagine its gonna take a few years start to finish but I guess only time will tell. The good news is that at least I finally decided to start working on it again.

I probably should have started this project sooner, but due to lack of funds and time I kind of have just been letting it sit. Go figure it takes my dad being sick and some motivation from friends for me to start working on it again.

Thanks for all the great advice from everyone here and all the really great pictures. This will really help me out when I decide what I want to do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is great!

The 4 link is what I had in mind as well. The ride height becomes unlimited with the correct coil overs and a 4 link. I thought about going with air bags but the cost kinda blows my SMALL budget!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just got some really horrible news, my mom just called me crying and they found out that my dad had cancer in some of the lmyph nodes they took out. So I am not sure what this means but it doesn't sound good. All I know right now is I have to wait to see what happens. Depending on what they say I might really try to pust just to get the car on the road because I am kind of scared and I want to at least make sure my dad can see this car on the road again before anything else bad happens.

Hopefully I will find out more soon and it will be better news but right now its not to good.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Sorry to hear the news, hopefully things will turn out well.

I feel like you could put the Heidt's setup in pretty quickly and
easily and be done with the rear suspension. It looks really simple to install
and would probably be just as easy as fixing the stock stuff.
:anim_25:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'd drive it with my Dad and fix it as I go along, JMHO. But my Dad is gone and I am now just trying to get ready to work on his 56. My prayers are with you and your family.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts