Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen and Ladies;
When I put on my 57 hubcaps with spinners on the front of my vehicle I get a ticking noise while driving.
When I remove them... no ticking.
I have looked at the hubcaps everything seems in order, the spinners are tight, no rocks or other debris...
I am at a loss.
Any suggestions.
Thank You,
Jeff

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
The 56 full caps do this as well, I am told its do to the wheel or cap flexing as it spins.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Not as weird as you think

Gentlemen and Ladies;
When I put on my 57 hubcaps with spinners on the front of my vehicle I get a ticking noise while driving.
When I remove them... no ticking.
I have looked at the hubcaps everything seems in order, the spinners are tight, no rocks or other debris...
I am at a loss.
Any suggestions.
Thank You,
Jeff
I have original (not repro) spinners on my '57. If you push the red insert back and forth, several of them are loose enough to make a ticking noise when they hit the metal edge of the spinner. Or, if you hold the wheel cover in your hands and shake it, you'll hear it.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I had a similar problem when I blasted the original wheels and repainted them. It turns out that I didn't have enough paint on the wheels and the wheelcovers would move around slightly. I noticed that the paint on the wheel was chafed where the outer edge of the wheelcover touched the rim. The wheels were originally dipped in black paint, then painted the color to match the car. The dipped paint was much thicker than a primer coat and color coat that I applied.

·
Administrator
66,194 Posts
I am thinking that the only place that sound would come from would be the spinners, look into that area :anim_25:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay....
With hubcaps and spinners I get a tick...
Pulled hubcaps off... no tick
Removed spinners from hubcaps and I still get a tick...
Removed hubcaps ... no tick...
Nothing is loose on the hubcaps and they fit very tight to wheel...
Any suggestions... maybe a shop rag inside the hub... anything!!! :p3:
Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
88 Posts
Repaint your wheels with either the color or clear (to get the paint thicker).

If your wheels are glossy, you might have to rough it up a bit with scotch brite or something.

You might even have to tweek the hubcap clips.

You might even have to paint the inside of the hubcaps with something like a thick rubber coating. Kind of like bedliner material.

Another thought, are these origional hubcaps or re-pops. If they are re-pops, they might be made of thinner material or the shape just might be a bit off.

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Wheel/hubcap ticking noise.

Repaint your wheels with either the color or clear (to get the paint thicker).

If your wheels are glossy, you might have to rough it up a bit with scotch brite or something.

You might even have to tweek the hubcap clips.

You might even have to paint the inside of the hubcaps with something like a thick rubber coating. Kind of like bedliner material.

Another thought, are these origional hubcaps or re-pops. If they are re-pops, they might be made of thinner material or the shape just might be a bit off.[/QUOTE

Stumbled on this one. Jeff thanks for asking and Terry and others. Thank You. Helps me out too. Mike

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,027 Posts
Okay....
With hubcaps and spinners I get a tick...
Pulled hubcaps off... no tick
Removed spinners from hubcaps and I still get a tick...
Removed hubcaps ... no tick...
Nothing is loose on the hubcaps and they fit very tight to wheel...
Any suggestions... maybe a shop rag inside the hub... anything!!! :p3:
Thanks
Jeff
The rim that springs over the nubs, gets bent in slightly over time and doesn't have enough tension where it slips over the nubs. Also, the nubs can wear down a bit. I don't know how long fixing it with paint will last. I bend the rim of the hubcap out at the area of the nubs to solve the problem. I open my vise jaws about 3" and place the edge of the hubcap on both jaws with the nub contact area between the jaws and hit the rim with a hammer. This puts a slight bulge in the rim in the area of the nub and makes it a bit harder to put on but holds it tight.
Also, you will notice slots on the rim on each side of the valve stem. These are to prevent the cap from turning on the wheel. Notice the outboard side of the slots are formed outward. Make sure they are formed out enough to hold on the edge of the nubs to prevent the cap from rotating on the wheel.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I had the same issue on an old Cutlass I use to have...turned out to be the chrome trim on all the slots/holes was just loose enough to slide back and forth as the car drove down the street. I just added a little dumb dumb (like silicone) to hold them in place, and the noise clicking stopped...then I missed that clicking...go figure...

Only heard it at slow speeds.

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
If you jack the wheel up and spin it by hand does the sound still occur? If so, you might be able to isolate the exact location of the clicking, and lead you to a soultion.

7,082 Posts
Also, you will notice slots on the rim on each side of the valve stem. These are to prevent the cap from turning on the wheel. Notice the outboard side of the slots are formed outward. Make sure they are formed out enough to hold on the edge of the nubs to prevent the cap from rotating on the wheel.

Not about rattling, but may help someone. On my 55 tried everything on caps rotating. Put metal valve stems instead of rubber and problem completely solved. 4000 miles later, still same. :tu :bowtier:

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,027 Posts
The 4 nubs are the ONLY things that hold the hubcap on the wheel. The rim of the wheel goes over the nubs and is forced down the back slope of the nub to hold the hubcap against the wheel. If the rim is loose, it's gonna make noise. This is a close up of an old hubcap that I cut a hole through to locate some nubs that I soldered onto a 14X7 wheel. You can see half of the nub and the slot in the hubcap that keeps it from turning on the wheel.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Not about rattling, but may help someone. On my 55 tried everything on caps rotating. Put metal valve stems instead of rubber and problem completely solved. 4000 miles later, still same. :tu :bowtier:
I also had wheel covers that rotated on the rims on a '55. One of the rubber valve stems got cut enough to deflate the tire. Metal valve stems solved the problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts