Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I started working on my LS engine this weekend and found it much simpler to work on than I thought it would be.

I've been doing my homework and it looks like since I'm already stripping it down I'll be doing a head and cam change to take advantage of the fairly inexpensive HP/TQ gains. Would hate to just put it in and then wish I had made the mods.

Anybody tried an LS cam in your trifive that you really like?

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LS1. I'm looking to get a set of Z06 or 243 heads. I've already got the LS6 intake. Want a decent idle and manners.

Will be running a 4l60 and 3:50 or 3:25 gears.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,004 Posts
LS1. I'm looking to get a set of Z06 or 243 heads. I've already got the LS6 intake. Want a decent idle and manners.

Will be running a 4l60 and 3:50 or 3:25 gears.
The 243 heads and LS6 cam/springs which is $280 bucks new will work well. Basically have a LS6 at that point 405hp/4-ft with the later LS6 cam. Then get some LS6 fuel rail covers too!

I would look at some ported heads as well. Alot of LS1 guy use to swap in ported 5.3L heads for the bump in CR.

I would buy a set of ported LS6 heads. http://paceperformance.com/i-6255752-88958622-ls6-cnc-ported-assembled-aluminum-cylinder-heads.html

And a better higher lift cam.

That should make close to 450hp easy. Maybe more.

There are better cams but you would need a stall at that point. And they would be more money.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That price looked great until I read the (each) in the fine print.
I can get a set of AFR heads for less than what they're selling those ported heads for. Actually, I can get a great set of heads locally for MUCH less.

This is my cruiser so I want it to have some kick but also be fun to drive.
I'll have a faster trifive and eventually another much faster car in the near future, so fun-to-drive and reliability is the key to this project.

Bang-for-the buck something like the LS6 setup looks like it may be the way to go. The 2002 LS6 Z06 was a hoss and supposedly would run mid-12's and 0-60 in 4 seconds. That's serious street performance. I rode in one years ago and it was a bit of a rocket.

I think I'm going to talk to one of the LS cam gurus and see what they recommend given all of my criteria. (gears/converter/weight/etc...) and weigh that against the LS6 cam option.

Thanks for the feedback.
Learning new stuff is fun and this seems to be a relatively inexpensive way to get some really good performance.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,004 Posts
That price looked great until I read the (each) in the fine print.
I can get a set of AFR heads for less than what they're selling those ported heads for. Actually, I can get a great set of heads locally for MUCH less.
That true there are alot of options for LS and price is all over that was just an example.

Bang-for-the buck something like the LS6 setup looks like it may be the way to go. The 2002 LS6 Z06 was a hoss and supposedly would run mid-12's and 0-60 in 4 seconds. That's serious street performance. I rode in one years ago and it was a bit of a rocket.
You think the old Z06 was fast ride in a 06 up LS7 505hp version! They will put a smile on your face. Let alone a ZR1.:)

I think I'm going to talk to one of the LS cam gurus and see what they recommend given all of my criteria. (gears/converter/weight/etc...) and weigh that against the LS6 cam option.
I think you would be happier with a aftermarket cam over a stock LS6 by far. And its not that much more price wise either for the power gains.

I would call vincihinperformance. I have bought some truck motor cams from them. http://www.vincihiperformance.com/CAMSHAFT SPEC LIST PAGE LS1 2.htm

Tell them your set up: trans, intake, heads, Comp ratio, and what you want drivablity wise.

·
Registered
111 Posts
man , reading all these post's makes me want to make the swap in my car.. :)

I have been sitting on a ls2 out of a 05 or 06 zo6 with only 20k miles on it for about 3-4 yrs now...My bud who owns the vette went with some crazy Nelson stroker motor or something and sold me his stock motor.....hmmm

only thing that is really holding me back is it is basically a long block with no coils , no accessories etc...I know it can get expensive ....

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,004 Posts
man , reading all these post's makes me want to make the swap in my car.. :)

I have been sitting on a ls2 out of a 05 or 06 zo6 with only 20k miles on it for about 3-4 yrs now...My bud who owns the vette went with some crazy Nelson stroker motor or something and sold me his stock motor.....hmmm

only thing that is really holding me back is it is basically a long block with no coils , no accessories etc...I know it can get expensive ....
The 05 and 06 Z06's had the LS7. The LS2 was the base motor in the regular vettes that year. LS2 will have 243 heads and cast with 6.0L in the block. The LS7 is easily ID'ed with a dry sump oil pan.

You can get coil packs, intake, and accessories cheap enough. Just have to be frugal. I would already have it swapped in!!!:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts