Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work in collision repair for a living, and I'm fortunate to be able to attend classes to stay current on new products, new designs, etc... for these ever-increasing technologically-advanced vehicles that are out there these days.
Anyway, it was an electrical diagnostic/case work study regarding a few different vehicles, each with their own diagnostic challenges.
I'll admit I'm guilty of spending some money at harbor freight to buy some things that I just can't justify spending elsewhere. I mean, we all know there is some plain old junk that we all know to stay away from at HF. Well, here's another example as to where to draw the line.
GM has found through testing that HF is selling fuses that are nowhere near their intended amperage protection-for example, 15 amp fuses that will pass 90 AMPS BEFORE BLOWING!!
What? HF selling even junk fuses? Yes, we all know the answer to that, but I thought this was pertinent information worth passing on to my fellow tri-fivers. Buy name brand fuses to keep your tri-five from a meltdown.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,746 Posts
Thanks Jay.....I'm on my third aluminum jack in as many months from HF :eek:

·
Administrator
50,519 Posts
Doesn`t surprise me at all. Some things from HF are worth it though, but no sense in burning up your ride over a couple of bucks.
Terry

·
Registered
38,701 Posts
Not a new alert, but posting that one again is good.

I've seen those fuses in their store, they look so bad most wouldn't expect them to work. I guess they probably sell a bunch anyway because they are so cheap.

·
Registered
13,220 Posts
Thanks for the heads up.......check and see if it says "made in China." If it say that, I'll put it back even if I have to do without.
Do you shop at Home Depot or Lowes. A very high percentage of their stuff is made in China too.

Do you think that you don't have parts on your Tri Five that are made in China?:eek:

I actually think the blame lies on the specs that are written for the manufacturer of a part and they are most likely written by American companies wanting to make a buck. Some stuff manufactured in China is good and some is junk and everywhere in between. You have to evaluate every piece.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You get what you pay for.

Hi everbody, like the title said " you get what you pay for. Anyboby that gets things that sat (made in china) should sit down what ever time of day or nite it is have a few beers like maybe a 12 pack or a bottle of JACK pass out and when the next day gets around you will have your head flush out. You well be in better shape to think. As much time, money, and love that many of us TRY-FIVE Chevy people put into our cars we do not need the junk that comes out of china. So much crap that they make is from contamanated ( to many letters in that word for me ) materal. A lot of things have been pulled out of stores that we all had heard of and a lot of thing we did not hear of.
KEEP YOUR AMERICAN CAR ALL AMERICAN :sign0020:

·
Registered
167 Posts
KEEP YOUR AMERICAN CAR ALL AMERICAN :sign0020:
in todays parts world that is very hard. at the pomona swap meet bought a gas tank from a reputable parts place and guess what it was made in china and is only 15 gallon. no big deal but i lost a gallon in the process. fuel sender bought one from the car shop in orange,ca and it was too made overseas by the lowest bidder.

·
Registered
13,220 Posts
in todays parts world that is very hard.
I think it is downright impossible if you are doing a restore. At the very least, not practical. Every part has to be evaluated.

For instance, take the CPP 500 steering box. Where do y'all think it's made? It's also, by consensus, the best choice out there.

I don't believe the Chinese are to blame. It the spec writers and QA part. And that's us. Evidently, the specs and QA for the CPP 500 box are both very good.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Chinese manufacturing is divided up into three standards or "tiers" by north american import agencies. Tiers one, two, and, three with three being the lowest quality. Tier one is an acceptable standard within keeping of most North American tolerances and specs. All harbour frieght stuff is tier three. We have a similar outfit in Canada called Princess Auto. Some tier two and mostly Tier three. Avoid these products if they are used or depended upon in a serious manner. I buy sanding/ grinding discs at these places some sundries and thats about it. Welding rods are like coat hangers and drill bits get dull when making swiss cheese. These are the practical reasons for staying way from this type of product. Tier one stuff is what we all have on our cars, hopefully, and is referred to by most as the good brand. Be aware that the vast majority of us companies use tier one Chinese outfits to make their products. The simple truth here is that the combination of Unions and taxation for business has driven product based companies out of the states and into Asia. This is why the GDP of the U.S, is the lowest it has been since the second world war. Combine this with massive dept to income ratios, greed ridden banking industries and lax lending laws, and you have an economy that has no hope of surviving. And, to top all that off you get a market place full of tier three products that claim to be what they aren't and your car burns to the ground because of a bad fuse.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.