Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys! I have a question for anyone with experience using the overdrive setup in the wagon I'm getting.

How much speed difference or drop in rpm is there once the car has been shifted from third into overdrive?

And here is one more........When driving the car I am assuming you go through the gears up to desired speed and once in third at cruising speed you shift it into overdrive without touching the column shifter. Is this correct?

Last one for now......will a three speed floor shift work with this setup and if so,where would I begin to look to find a good shifter?

Thanks a bunch guys!

Attachments

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,022 Posts
Hi Guys! I have a question for anyone with experience using the overdrive setup in the wagon I'm getting.

How much speed difference or drop in rpm is there once the car has been shifted from third into overdrive?

And here is one more........When driving the car I am assuming you go through the gears up to desired speed and once in third at cruising speed you shift it into overdrive without touching the column shifter. Is this correct?

Last one for now......will a three speed floor shift work with this setup and if so,where would I begin to look to find a good shifter?

Thanks a bunch guys!
It will lower the RPM 30%. So instead of 3000 RPM, at highway speed, you'll be doing 2100 RPM. The transmission automatically goes into OD at 26-30 MPH if OD is selected. The shop manual has a good write-up on how to operate it and how it works. .... http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1955/55csm0716.html

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
I have never found a floor shifter that will work with the overdrive

·
Registered
120 Posts
Check with Peter Serio at precisionpontiac.net. He may have a Hurst Mystery Shifter for your Saginaw O/D trans. A regular shifter's brackets won't clear the solenoid.

Brent

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Check with Peter Serio at precisionpontiac.net. He may have a Hurst Mystery Shifter for your Saginaw O/D trans. A regular shifter's brackets won't clear the solenoid.

Brent
I was not aware they ever made a "Saginaw" OD trans, what year was that made.

·
3,279 Posts
I was not aware they ever made a "Saginaw" OD trans, what year was that made.
I think they are Muncie 319's 4 bolt side cover, with a borg warner OD mated in place of the tailshaft. Seems like I read somewhere that some guys have taken the OD and mated it to a Muncie 4 speed too.

·
Premium Member
50,811 Posts
The only OD I everhad was in my 55 (1959-61) and I tried to put a floor shift in and it would not fit because of the OD unit. :anim_25:
:gba:
bowtie-trifive

·
3,279 Posts
I purchased a Hurst Mystery Shifter on ebay and it arrived yesterday. It DOES clear the Muncie OD solenoid. Unfortunately the main bracket I got with it fit something else. Ford or plymouth or something, so I will have to cut the ears off the bracket and make new ears out of angle steel that match the muncie and weld them to the side bracket. The next issue is figuring out if the levers have to be above or below to work with this shifter.

The levers that are on the transmission appear to be the levers for the column shift, but I got levers and rods with the shifter (no idea if they will fit the Muncie).

Anyone know?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts