Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
CAD plating

The Restoration and Judging Guilelines manual (R.P.O 313) indicates the Transmission and Accelerator (55-210 6 cyl w/ turboglide) linkeages & levers are mostly CAD plated (along with many other items through out the car). I plated the linkeages with Eastwoods Gold CAD system, and the items look really goldish, plus the finish is fairly rough. With respect to getting a look as close to "original" (read what do judges like) as possible, would this be satisfactory, or is it better to blast and clear coat, approaching a "natural" color and finish?
thanks

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
The Restoration and Judging Guilelines manual (R.P.O 313) indicates the Transmission and Accelerator (55-210 6 cyl w/ turboglide) linkeages & levers are mostly CAD plated (along with many other items through out the car). I plated the linkeages with Eastwoods Gold CAD system, and the items look really goldish, plus the finish is fairly rough. With respect to getting a look as close to "original" (read what do judges like) as possible, would this be satisfactory, or is it better to blast and clear coat, approaching a "natural" color and finish?
thanks
These parts should be a "silver" cad, just like the door striker plates.

Also - a '55 would only have a Powerglide, not a Turboglide, and a Turboglide won't bolt up to a 6 cylinder.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CAD plating

Hi all, I'm reviving this thread.
As listed in the Restoration and Judging Guilelines manual there are approximately 120 items that are referenced as CAD plated. Can it be assumed that these are all "silver" plate? Is there a list of the types of CAD plating, i.e. "gold" vs "silver"? For example as mentioned by stovebolt, the throttle linkeage is "silver," what about the hood hinges, are they "gold"?
Since I have a number of the items off and blasted, I have the option of doing either.

·
Administrator
70,863 Posts
As listed in the Restoration and Judging Guilelines manual there are approximately 120 items that are referenced as CAD plated. Can it be assumed that these are all "silver" plate? Is there a list of the types of CAD plating, i.e. "gold" vs "silver"? For example as mentioned by stovebolt, the throttle linkeage is "silver," what about the hood hinges, are they "gold"?
Since I have a number of the items off and blasted, I have the option of doing either.
The undercarriage items would have been silver cad plated not gold.

The exterior jewellery like the badges depending on the model package were either gold or chrome finnish.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,430 Posts
Never heard of anything being gold CAD plated, only silver.

·
Premium Member
5,144 Posts
Zinc playing is the right substitute for cad.

It's available in two forms - blue or yellow tinge. Maybe that's what's being referred to as silver and gold? The former (blue/silver) is the closest in appearance to the old cad playing colour. Just specify with the plater – most seem to have both.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.