Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1957 Chevy Bel Air Convertible; ZZ4 w HEI ign; 700r4; 9" rear w/3:50 gears; pwr disc fr w drum rear
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm trying to get my new 700r4 dialed in...and I'm finding that I'm not getting WOT from the pedal. (my buddy puts pedal to medal and I'm only open 2/3 of the way) Maybe I'm being over-critical but it seems like the geometry of the original throttle leaves a lot to be desired when WOT is critical. (And my gas pedal seems to be a loosey-goosey set up too)

Since I'm updating the trans, should I consider updating the throttle linkage to something a little more effective?? (and hopefully not a nightmare to install)

Ideas would be appreciated.....just something simple but effective for the new 700r4

Ace

·
Premium Member
1957 Chevy Bel Air Convertible; ZZ4 w HEI ign; 700r4; 9" rear w/3:50 gears; pwr disc fr w drum rear
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm attaching a picture of the TV Cable bracket I'm using (TCI) and it includes a spot for an OEM style throttle cable.....but I'm not sure what aftermarket throttle cable would fit. Obviously it would be a tidy set up to utilize this bracket for both TV and throttle cables...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TCI-376700/?rtype=10

Ace

·
12,256 Posts
If you're using the stock pedal and linkage, all you should have to do is adjust it to give you a higher pedal off the floor. That should get you to WOT with it mashed to the floor. Another alternative is the Lokar pedal assembly.

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks, I will probably adjust the stock linkage for now, and work towards installing that Lokar throttle. I see Eckler's sells the throttle pedal, and also a cable that looks like it's been sized for our cars.

Chevynut, Do I adjust the pedal with the one bolt on firewall where pedal and throttle arm connect?...just loosen/adjust/re-tighten?

Thanks for the responses

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Thats what I done to change mine over to a lokar cable set up and then set up the 700 cable with the right bracket, I got my bracket from holley carbs. it works great. Later Bill

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don, definitely the rod is adjustable (stock rod) but I thought there might be another way to adjust the pedal height alone. Looking at the connection between pedal and throttle arm, I don't think there is any way to adjust...so I'll do what I can with carb rod adjustments.

I'm pretty sure the Lokar throttle cable will fit into the top portion of the TCI bracket. Then I can keep the bracket and Universal TV cable I'm using.

·
12,256 Posts
Don, definitely the rod is adjustable (stock rod) but I thought there might be another way to adjust the pedal height alone. Looking at the connection between pedal and throttle arm, I don't think there is any way to adjust...so I'll do what I can with carb rod adjustments.

As you shorten the linkage to the carb, the pedal should raise off the floor. It's a pretty simple linkage. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got 'er done this afternoon. TCI bracket for QJet with mounts for my Universal TV Cable, and Lokar Throttle. I also installed the Lokar gas pedal. It will take a little "getting used to" as it sits a lot higher than the stock gas pedal. But operation is nice & smooth. Thought I'd share pics of the completed job.

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
ha ha, I am running into this issue as well. The tci adaptor for the carb also is in the way of the manifold vacum port. My trans is a 200r with a tci adaptor and change to vacumn.

My build is on a budget so I am thinking of grabbing a GM car gas pedal and cable. anyone else do this? if so what car did you use it from?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts