Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I looked on here but couldn't find any newer thread on what people are using for an aftermarket throttle pedal using a cable and a Holley 4150 mounted on a SBC. I took out the rod linkage and the original pedal as it was cobbled together by the last owner and I'm trying to figure out a good pedal to use. I bought and installed a floor mounted Lokar one and it definitely won't work as it I only get about 1/3 throttle out of it so it's coming out and then I'll have to repair the floor.
What are some of you using for yours? Floor mounted or firewall mounted and what kind? I'll run to Summit today and get one if I can get some idea of what will work. TIA

·
Premium Member
13,795 Posts
The stock ones work Great. Don't like the problem ridden cable one

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,977 Posts

·
50,977 Posts
The stock ones work Great. Don't like the problem ridden cable one
Tend to agree with you John about the tried and true mechanical system.

·
Administrator
49,203 Posts
Terry, does that pedal mount exactly like the factory pedal?
Elijah
Yes. It bolts to the firewall in the original holes.
Terry

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Elijah...Be advised...That is only the pedal assy...You need the cable assy as well.
Thanks Pops, That is what I was getting at I wanted someone who actually installed one and used it. Like I mentioned the one in the car was all cobbled together and no way I was using it. I always use the cable in the cars but wanted to see which one works as the Lokar floor mount does not for sure. I'll go to Summit in the morning and pick one up.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Warning: If the Lokar isn't installed perfectly the cable can wear a groove into the nylon sleeve. That has the potential of grabbing the cable and holding it at WOT so when you take your foot off the throttle the engine is at WOT........

Ask me how I know this...........

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Chevy had a mechanical throttle linkage issue in the 60's if the left motor mount failed the engine would roll over to the right during heavy throttle use & lock the throttle on. Your only options if it happened to you were to shut the engine off, crash, neutral an auto trans or use the clutch.. The GM recall involved a cable around the upper control arm shaft with brackets that attached to the exhaust manifold to cylinder head bolts. Side motor mounts were redesigned with a pin through them to eliminate separation.
I run stock throttle linkage with a heim @ the carb, adapted a floating gas pedal from a bone yard donor to the stock linkage.

·
50,977 Posts
Chevy had a mechanical throttle linkage issue in the 60's if the left motor mount failed the engine would roll over to the right during heavy throttle use & lock the throttle on.

I run stock throttle linkage with a heim @ the carb, adapted a floating gas pedal from a bone yard donor to the stock linkage.
Had a '66 Chevy Impala involved in that recall

Do you remember what this "floating" gas pedal was from or looked like?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Had a '66 Chevy Impala involved in that recall

Do you remember what this "floating" gas pedal was from or looked like?
IIRC I pulled it from a Cherokee, make model is irrelevant what is needed is the pedal, spring & a piece of the pedal mount rod.
If considering the mod measure pedal to floor on you favorite driver + the pedal angle with a digital level, set up & weld together.
Found a pic that shows the pedal I added the aluminum angle to it so it sort of matches the power brake pedal trim. Power brake pedal is a cut off grafted to a stock 57 pedal.
9-17-5-A.JPG

Maybe a better pic

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts