Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it comoon to need shorter tie rod sleeves when installing drop spindle disc brakes on a tri five?
Thanks Gary

·
Registered
945 Posts
I don't know if it's common or not but I had to use 2 of the short sleeves for power steering the 2 I had for manual steering left me walled eye all the way in.

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know if it's common or not but I had to use 2 of the short sleeves for power steering the 2 I had for manual steering left me walled eye all the way in.
Mitch, Thats what I ran into also. It must be something to do with the type of spindle. Mine have the caliper bracket cast into the spindle and the hubs/rotors are one piece. Thanks for the info, Now I know Im not missing something.
Gary

·
Registered
37,982 Posts
The spindles with the cast caliper brackets move the steering arm inboard. That's why the tie rod assembly has to be adjusted shorter.

Shorter sleeves aren't the answer.

Cleaning up the old sleeves and making sure the full depth of the tapped threads can be used is the first thing. You can make an old tie rod end into a chaser tap by making a hacksaw cut lengthwise on the threads. That's especially useful on the lh threaded one, since most guys won't have a lh tap.

Second thing you can try is to shorten the tie rod ends slightly.

On most cars you can just barely get the adjustment you need without any mods.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts