Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed new manual gear box ( has centering marks on spline and box) also new center rod and tie rods/sleeves. When I installed the pitman arm I thought there was only 4 position it could be installed with the 4 slots on the spline, so it would rotate 1/4 to change position ( am I correct on this?). With Relay rod tight on pitman and wheels straight ahead my left tie rod is 14 1/4" , right 13 1/4"

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,310 Posts
Is your steering box centerd?
I was thinking the same thing,

To OP remove pitman arm. turn steering wheel all the way one direction, then mark 12 o'clock and turn the wheel all the way the other direction while counting the total number of turns. after this turn the wheel exactly 1/2 the number of turns in the opposite direction, this centers the box. do not worry about what position the steering wheel is, but re mark at 12 oclock. now connect the pitman arm, and adjust the tierods for toe in and straight fwd position. now remove steering wheel and center as needed for aesthetics.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes the box was new and had center mark on spline and box. Am I correct about the pitman has to rotate 1/4 revolutions

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking the same thing,

To OP remove pitman arm. turn steering wheel all the way one direction, then mark 12 o'clock and turn the wheel all the way the other direction while counting the total number of turns. after this turn the wheel exactly 1/2 the number of turns in the opposite direction, this centers the box. do not worry about what position the steering wheel is, but re mark at 12 oclock. now connect the pitman arm, and adjust the tierods for toe in and straight fwd position. now remove steering wheel and center as needed for aesthetics.
The box is new and marked from factory on spline and gear box with tag stating to keep lined went installing

·
Premium Member
14,310 Posts
Yes the box was new and had center mark on spline and box. Am I correct about the pitman has to rotate 1/4 revolutions
yes you are correct here.

The box is new and marked from factory on spline and gear box with tag stating to keep lined went installing
I have on more than one occasion found the box was not centered as marked. do the check always, never trust suppliers.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK Thanks, Sounds like it makes most sense if the pitman rotes 1/4. will have to get the steering wheel back on tomorrow and check

·
Premium Member
14,310 Posts
OK Thanks, Sounds like it makes most sense if the pitman rotes 1/4. will have to get the steering wheel back on tomorrow and check
a clue here is that the pitman arm and idler arm should be pointing straight with the frame not angled from 1 side or the other.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advise. Got under and checked the idler is off a bit , then when checking the pitman noticed my marks on spline and box are off just a bit, which would help the measurement. Hard to line up with pitman in the way and laying on my back. Going to disconnect to tie rods and make sure of the lines on box and spline, that may be all it is. If not will do as you say to center.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
a clue here is that the pitman arm and idler arm should be pointing straight with the frame not angled from 1 side or the other.
Well lucked out, I didn't have the factory marks exactly lined up , Suppose it didn't take much with gear ratio. Both sides are 13 7/8". Thanks much to you and Rick L

1 - 10 of 10 Posts