Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
^^^^ Exactly why you use one of these 2.
The cheapos have cheapo guts in them. If they fail, you are "USCWAP".

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
I suspect most of the 'cheap' (Less than $700-800 tilt columns are derived from the same chinese CPP crap. Flaming River and IDIDIT are the only two US made (or quality made) tilt columns I'm aware of, OR you could retrofit an major auto manufacterer's tilt column to your car?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I'll go with the majority here...........I put an Ididit in my 56 210 and my 66 Chevelle. Next up, my 71 Chevy pickup. Couldn't be happier with the quality.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,411 Posts
See this attached aftermarket steering column alert:

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
See this attached aftermarket steering column alert:
I did see that, but it’s from 7 years ago out of New Zealand. I would assume that if these companies were selling dangerous products that the US Government would get involved the same way they do with baby cribs, waffle irons or anything else that could be potentially deadly to consumers due to a defect. Since I’m not seeing anything in the way of recalls or consumer safety alerts, I am inclined to believe that changes have been made to either the design or materials that were previously used. I can’t imagine that companies like Speedway and Summit would continue to sell an item under their name with a publicly known safety defect. The potential liability exposure would be incredible. I guarantee that these companies are big enough to have lawyers on retainer that would make sure it didn’t happen. Ultimately I think I’m going to go with an Ididit column.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Has anybody used one of the columns from Speedway Motors? I’m looking at their tilt column shift model for my 55. Had a horrible experience with a CPP in my last car and don’t want another junk column. Any experience from people that have used this one would be appreciated.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/1955-56-Chevy-Passenger-Car-Tilt-Shift-Steering-Column-Chrome,75028.html
Call Speedway and ask them who makes the column and where it's made.
Sometimes the Speedway, (or Summit or Jeggs) branded items are made by the big name brands, sometimes not. I bought a Summit brand air filter a while back and it was clearly made by K&N, but was just packaged in a plain box instead to the fancy K&N box.

·
Registered
35,565 Posts
The US gov't has chosen not to regulate hot rod parts, and that's to our benefit IMO. Otherwise new products would take forever to get approved and there would be an extra hidden cost of that process passed on to the consumer. Also the truth usually comes out on junk pretty quickly and emphatically.

When you see a price that's "too good to be true" you should always be wary. Not to say it can't be true, but that it's not true very often.

There was another brand besides Ididit and Flaming River that was good stuff. I forget the name and I'm not sure they are still in business.

At least some of the stuff in that NZ article from 7 years ago is still on the market. If in doubt, stay away.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The US gov't has chosen not to regulate hot rod parts, and that's to our benefit IMO. Otherwise new products would take forever to get approved and there would be an extra hidden cost of that process passed on to the consumer. Also the truth usually comes out on junk pretty quickly and emphatically.

When you see a price that's "too good to be true" you should always be wary. Not to say it can't be true, but that it's not true very often.

There was another brand besides Ididit and Flaming River that was good stuff. I forget the name and I'm not sure they are still in business.

At least some of the stuff in that NZ article from 7 years ago is still on the market. If in doubt, stay away.
That's not entirely accurate. The government will get involved if a product has a defect that makes it dangerous or deadly. Here's an example of an aftermarket performance part that they're involved in a recall on.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2019/MW-Company-Recalls-MOMO-Quick-Release-Steering-Wheel-Adapters-Due-to-Crash-Hazard-Risk-of-Serious-Injury-and-Death

That's literally the CPSC's entire job. A search of their database yielded no recalls for Chinese made steering columns. Just trying to get the real story about this. All I can find is 7 year old data from overseas and a lot of opinions.

·
Registered
35,565 Posts
So what else needs to be said about the lack of action on the steering columns?
Their shortcomings are very well documented by NZ.

What about the CPP pitman arms? That deal has been left to us, the users of these parts.

Those steering wheel quick disconnects must have either been horrible or they affected a politician's relative.

Again, not that I want them heavily involved.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I did see that, but it’s from 7 years ago out of New Zealand. I would assume that if these companies were selling dangerous products that the US Government would get involved the same way they do with baby cribs, waffle irons or anything else that could be potentially deadly to consumers due to a defect. Since I’m not seeing anything in the way of recalls or consumer safety alerts, I am inclined to believe that changes have been made to either the design or materials that were previously used. I can’t imagine that companies like Speedway and Summit would continue to sell an item under their name with a publicly known safety defect. The potential liability exposure would be incredible. I guarantee that these companies are big enough to have lawyers on retainer that would make sure it didn’t happen. Ultimately I think I’m going to go with an Ididit column.
I can't say I really disagree with anything you're saying there... I regularly source parts from Speedway and Summit. But having said that, I bought a Speedway column a few years ago and installed it in my last project. On my current project I looked past those, and went with a Flaming River. Twice the money - but happy with the decision. Like others have said - just my 2 cents.
JR

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So what else needs to be said about the lack of action on the steering columns?
Their shortcomings are very well documented by NZ.

What about the CPP pitman arms? That deal has been left to us, the users of these parts.

Those steering wheel quick disconnects must have either been horrible or they affected a politician's relative.

Again, not that I want them heavily involved.
I agree that CPP makes junk products. I wouldn't buy a column or anything else from them. But, the column I was looking at wasn't a CPP column. It's sold under the Speedway brand and while I would assume it's probably made in china, that doesn't mean it's the same as the CPP column. Not every product that comes out of Asian countries is junk, and being made in USA doesn't mean it's awesome by default. The purpose of my post was to get first hand experience from someone that actually used the Speedway column and could speak to the quality. But all anybody seems to know how to do is re-post the same data from 7 years ago about products made by or for someone else.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can't say I really disagree with anything you're saying there... I regularly source parts from Speedway and Summit. But having said that, I bought a Speedway column a few years ago and installed it in my last project. On my current project I looked past those, and went with a Flaming River. Twice the money - but happy with the decision. Like others have said - just my 2 cents.
JR
What issues led you to choose a different column the next time? Mechanical issue? Fit and finish?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
What issues led you to choose a different column the next time? Mechanical issue? Fit and finish?
Fit of the column itself was fine - dimensionally right on the money. Finish - I had a bone to pick with the finish of the shift collar where it mates up to the tilt section. The collar is a cast piece and was just slightly out of round and the inner surface was totally unfinished and quite rough, which created interference whenever the column was tilted. I had to deal with that before paint so there wouldn't be any scraping. Mechanically - whenever I used the shift lever, it just felt and sounded 'cheesey'...only way I can think to describe it. I've installed modified GM tilt and tilt/telescope columns in several cars, and the column shift ones always felt smooth and positive, and sounded 'right' when selecting a gear. These were the main reasons I chose a 'name brand' - and the F/R is the better choice for a '55-'56 with a tilt/shift setup with a power box...lengthwise it is just right.

·
Registered
322 Posts
As Brian (Custer55) mentioned earlier, why not call Summit or Speedway and ask them directly about the origin of their columns. If they are hesitant, I feel you have your answer. Good luck whatever you decide, Steve

·
Registered
669 Posts
i'm in no way upholding CPP like many on here i've had crappy parts from them & this is a question the current tilt column they are selling appears to me to have the same kind of setup with the upper & lower shafts & plastic coupler that has been used in GM columns for years which i'm very familiar with again only a question is it possible that the NZ information doesn't pertain to the units currently being produced by CPP & others I don't have or want a tilt in my car due to the placement of the steering wheel currently using the stock type cut down version with column shift & I doubt that the quality of these offshore columns nears that of Idit or Flaming River but are they currently safe as designed for those wanting a less expensive option

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
By design if the plastic / nylon / delrin whatever ball socket in the tilt mechanism were to fail you will get a lot of L/R play in the wheel but you will not loose steering control.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts