Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
Who make the best tilt steering column with column shifter for 1957? As far as I know The one from ididit will move steering column 2" closer to your belly, this thing is very close in stock form, can't imagine 2" closer....i don't want to use 9bolt shorty adaptor too because I want to use stock style steering wheel.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I think the Flaming River is 1" shorter on the head then Ididit, that's the best you can do especially with stock steering wheel. Even the death trap Chinese performance columns are the same length. The only other solution is to modify the original column for use with 500 box

·
Registered
745 Posts
I used a Flaming river column and it is close.I changed to a wheel that was smaller and mostly just less dish.But the new tilt column just put your arms in a bad position.Yo can always move the seat back but then it will be harder to access the rear.I am just living with it,

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,025 Posts
I modified a tilt column out of a 80 model van and shortened the cluster snout also. It's a lot shorter than Ididit or Flaming River.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
How about power steering and a 15" steering wheel on the stock column?

Would like to see more photos of your Rag-Top.:):):)

:bowtieb::bowtier::bowtieb::bowtier::bowtieb:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Double post... Sorry

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How about power steering and a 15" steering wheel on the stock column?

Would like to see more photos of your Rag-Top.:):):)

:bowtieb::bowtier::bowtieb::bowtier::bowtieb:
Nahhh, it is a 2 door sedan converted to rag top...not gonna boast about it, still in rust bucket condition anyway :) :)

I am going to make it a proper conversion tho, still some stuffs that's not properly done right now, still talking with Joe Carsinc on sheetmetals I need to make it a perfect conversion...

Thanks a million for the folks here with the great suggestion, I will study the options and make a decision on the column.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I modified a tilt column out of a 80 model van and shortened the cluster snout also. It's a lot shorter than Ididit or Flaming River.
Is there any way I can hack and chop off the flaming river steering column to make it shorter? I have ready access to machine shop and comfortable around chopping and hacking... I can also modify the cluster snout like you did with yours...

The reason I wanted complete aftermarket column is because my column is a manual shift column, rather than dealing with many parts to convert it to auto column I rather buy the whole thing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
If your set on a tilt column, your stuck with the extra length. I rarely use the tilt function in any of my cars, so I opted for the modified regular column from speedway (probably CPP).

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/1957-Chevy-Power-Steering-Column-Conversion,41742.html
This look like a very viable option too, definitely wallet friendly option and no, I am not set on tilting, my mustang is not tilting and i am fine with it. My main concern is to get stock steering wheel as far possible from my belly and thigh

How hard is it and what I need to convert my manual steering column to auto column? Oh yeah, I am going with TH700R for trans, does the stock auto shifter works with TH700R? This is the reason I was thinking about buying the whole column, my car is originally a manual and I wanted overdrive, with aftermarket all the work has been done for me, but off course I am open to other option, especially a wallet friendly option.

I really hate how the wheel come so close to my belly and thigh on a trifive, I am 'full' but not fat getting in and out of bel air is a chore by itself.

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
This look like a very viable option too, definitely wallet friendly option. My mustang is not tilting and i am fine with it. Does this kit come with auto shifter too? How hard is it and what I need to convert my manual steering column to auto column?
The speedway column is for an automatic. you would just have to buy the shift handle and what ever else you don't want to use from your standard column,which are readily available.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The speedway column is for an automatic. you would just have to buy the shift handle and what ever else you don't want to use from your standard column,which are readily available.
Cool! Asked my regular shop, said he's done quite a lot, easy as pie he said..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts