Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's everyone's opinion on a non tilt Ididit column versus a tilt? Any regrets as to either?
With a non-tilt Is the angle to your body/arms to steep for comfort?
Seems the tilt function puts the wheel up or back 2" and does that increase the angle that puts the wheel to a place that the tilt has to be used? I'm gonna get a column and I'm like most, I need the room but I also want to get in and out of my car plus be comfortable with the column.
I know there is a lot of info on this page but does anybody have any regrets because these things are to expensive to "try it out"
Thanks for everyone's opinion...

·
Registered
Cocke County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
7,748 Posts
My 55 has perfect placement of the steering wheel from the factory. I do have a small wheel and different seats, but I would never consider a tilt wheel. Even if it was the best one available and free, I'd still pass on it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Have a tilt wheel in my 55. Came out of a 73 chevy van. I like it. Seats only go back so far and tilting the wheel up makes it easier to get in and out of esp if your using a stock 18" wheel. Good to have in my opinion. If you want to use it, it's there.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
With the available choices in aftermarket tilt columns, or older GM columns, and power boxes (if you so choose to go that route) it is really a question of your preference, skill set, and $$. You're absolutely correct that it could be a disappointment to spend several hundred bucks only to be less than happy with the results. I've had a couple without tilt, and three with it, and the one I'm building now has it - I'm using a Flaming River in this one, tilt with column shift, and believe it keeps the wheel in just about the same position as the original...but they aren't cheap. You've got the right idea - and go to some shows this summer and ask around. You'll get lots of opinions - good luck with your choice.
JR

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the available choices in aftermarket tilt columns, or older GM columns, and power boxes (if you so choose to go that route) it is really a question of your preference, skill set, and $$. You're absolutely correct that it could be a disappointment to spend several hundred bucks only to be less than happy with the results. I've had a couple without tilt, and three with it, and the one I'm building now has it - I'm using a Flaming River in this one, tilt with column shift, and believe it keeps the wheel in just about the same position as the original...but they aren't cheap. You've got the right idea - and go to some shows this summer and ask around. You'll get lots of opinions - good luck with your choice.
JR
In my original question I wish I had ask that anybody that replies to make sure to tell what seats are in their car. I think seat choices have a lot to do with how comfortable the wheel position is. My seat is the original bench that was recovered b4 me and I'm sure had extra foam included. My seat is not at all comfortable and very stiff and I intend to change.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
If you have original seats, and column I doubt there's anything wrong with the fixed column.
I have donor buckets in every car I've built and all but one I put tilt columns in to be able to perfectly adjust my driving position and the wheel angle. The one car I own without tilt has the old factory column and original banjo wheel, and I didn't want to lose either, so kept that column. But instead I installed buckets that have all sorts of front/back, up/down adjustment to get the position I feel most comfortable in.
I readjust my seat or wheel sometimes when I'm on a long drive on open highways, as in town I like to be closer to the wheel and more upright. But on the freeway where I am not making turns I lower the wheel and lean the seatback a little to get more comfortable. I really enjoy being able to adjust both the wheel and seat positions to make things more comfortable.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
In my original question I wish I had ask that anybody that replies to make sure to tell what seats are in their car. I think seat choices have a lot to do with how comfortable the wheel position is. My seat is the original bench that was recovered b4 me and I'm sure had extra foam included. My seat is not at all comfortable and very stiff and I intend to change.
You are certainly correct about the comfort of your driving experience being affected by both the seat and the position of the wheel. Perhaps best to make your seat changes first. Whether a new seat or just rebuilding your current one to your satisfaction - not a cheap upgrade, but definitely worth it. Only then will you be able to make a sound judgement on what to do about a column and wheel. Maybe nothing, maybe a change of wheel diameter would do it. If a column change for tilt is needed - at least you'd know by then that it would be necessary and justify the cost. My seat choices almost always required a tilt, but as mentioned I like the flexibility a tilt offers anyway. Three of my past TriFives have used a late 70's/early 80's Lincoln/Mercury 50/50 split bench - I really like them, and upholstered correctly they look great; but they are hard to come by now and require a tilt as they sit a little 'high'. I have planned on using an original frame in my current build, but that isn't yet set in stone. I have already installed a Flaming River tilt/shift column with a 15" repro '55 wheel - I really like the way it fits and looks.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
I had a tough time finding a 15" wheel I liked. The original 18" wheel made my manual steering very easy, but also required huge movement to just make small turns. It quickly tired of the 18" wheel and found a 15" that made a huge difference in steering, and isn't too bad with my manual steering box either.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had a tough time finding a 15" wheel I liked. The original 18" wheel made my manual steering very easy, but also required huge movement to just make small turns. It quickly tired of the 18" wheel and found a 15" that made a huge difference in steering, and isn't too bad with my manual steering box either.
Looking through a new classic industries catalog the difference in price between tilt and non tilt is around $100.00

·
Registered
36,526 Posts
You guys that are talking about seat position vs. steering wheel position and size are forgetting the another variable. That is the pedals. If your column pushes the steering wheel back, then you adjust the seat back to compensate - the result might now be your legs are too short to reach and operate the pedals as comfortably as you'd like.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
If i was replacing the column regardless i would definitely get a tilt. If I was only replacing just to get the tilt then might not be worth it

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Looking through a new classic industries catalog the difference in price between tilt and non tilt is around $100.00
I don't have one of their catalogs handy, but tilts are usually more pricey and so makes me wonder if they're asking too much for a non-tilt... believe they are strictly a re-seller, and don't know who is making the one they're offering. There has been much discussion over time here about varying quality of columns in the aftermarket. The general idea being you get what you pay for and a steering column is a very dangerous place to cut a corner. Some of the imported ones are pretty scary. It was difficult for me to shell out the price of a Flaming River tilt...but I am happy with it and glad I did.
JR

·
Registered
Cocke County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
7,748 Posts
I too recall a discussion about bad columns but don't remember the outcome. Where they recalled?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I don't have one of their catalogs handy, but tilts are usually more pricey and so makes me wonder if they're asking too much for a non-tilt... believe they are strictly a re-seller, and don't know who is making the one they're offering. There has been much discussion over time here about varying quality of columns in the aftermarket. The general idea being you get what you pay for and a steering column is a very dangerous place to cut a corner. Some of the imported ones are pretty scary. It was difficult for me to shell out the price of a Flaming River tilt...but I am happy with it and glad I did.
JR
Well I'll talking about ididit columns whose quality is pretty good. $100 difference between tilt and non.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I too recall a discussion about bad columns but don't remember the outcome. Where they recalled?
I've seen no recalls....
As for the quality, we've seen cheap, non GM plastic parts fail.
I doubt Ho Chi steering column co. has a recall dept.
As for column length, if you like the original wheel position, order the column in a length that puts the wheel where you want it.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Quality and safety are big deals to me, and as mentioned I wont buy a poor quality column. But I use factory GM tilt columns which are great quality, and also cheap. Win-win situation, but as most people know they're maybe not as clean looking as the custom columns.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quality and safety are big deals to me, and as mentioned I wont buy a poor quality column. But I use factory GM tilt columns which are great quality, and also cheap. Win-win situation, but as most people know they're maybe not as clean looking as the custom columns.
I installed ididit chrome no tilt column on my 55 210 Sedan last year I also have stock bench seats. I have a 500 steering box and a reproduction 16=inch wheel that uses stock horn ring and horn cap very nice piece
bought both from Danchuk there column comes with come as a kit. Flasher wire harness rag joint. The had the best price for a complete kit. I love it the steering wheel is close to stock position. From what I found out from a lot of research tilts bring the wheel closer to the seat limiting space.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Speaking of safety..... are the new ones collapsible or do they just run the steering shaft through your chest like the old ones? That alone might be a deciding point for changing.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
From what I found out from a lot of research tilts bring the wheel closer to the seat limiting space.
Since they're a tilt, they can bring the wheel closer or further from the seat. That's the whole idea of a tilt column.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I ordered a tilt because a tilt just gives more comfort options since I'm gonna change the seat but found out there is a 4-6 week wait on Ididit columns due to the Covid.. It's gonna take a while to see if I made the right choice..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts