Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have decided I need more power again. Currently running comp 280h with 1:6 full roller rockers. Thinking I'd like to switch to a solid lifter cam in my stock bottom 406. Any ideas? I'm running jegs aluminum 195cc heads with 64cc chambers. Thanks Mike

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Knew it asked before couldn't find thread. wonder if theres newer stuff out. now. I really thought once I got the heads and intake swapped Id be happy but just need more now.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
I don´t think theres much newer stuff for gen1 than what was couple years ago. That´s ok. What´s your final compression after head swap? rpm you want for peak power? what kind of exhaust system? Trans/ rear gears?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
that stock bottom end....

is going to be the limiting factor in more HP.
oh, it will make more power, but they are known for NOT living when exposed to 6500+ rpm.
which is where a bigger cam will work best.
if it were me, I save for a little M block with 421/ 434 kit and step up safely! and BOLDLY!

·
Registered
138 Posts
call the cam company of your choice. getting cam advise from anyone on the internet is not a good idea. I know many engine builders that wont even make their own cam choice. call the experts.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
If its a speeder I still love the sound of a Duntov 30-30. I will turn all the rpm your stock bottom wants. I have yet to find an aftermarket cam that I like as much.

·
Premium Member
7,601 Posts
Before purchase

Decide if you intend to disassemble the engine to change your piston to valve clearance and compression ratios if necessary .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts