Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I dug out my old dwell meter, needing to set the points on the old 283. Meter has been in a box for 30 plus years. Forgot to take the batteries out, it is ruined. So I go looking for one locally, checked ABC, AutoZone, and O'Reilly's, none of the kids knew what I was talking about. The only place that had one was AutoZone, for $55. I believe I will invest in a new MSD HEI for about $185 and be done with it. What do ya'll think? I have the original 283, would like to stay original looking, but don't want a orange dist cap and coil. Can you get them in black? Who is the best source?

·
Registered
15,587 Posts
Dwell angle is the amount of time (measured in degrees of dist. cam rotation) that the contact points remain closed.Initial point gap determines dwell.Set your new Delco points to .019 and that should give you a 28-32º dwell.An approximate dwell adjustment can be made without a meter on a V8.With the dist. window up and an allen wrench turn the adjustment screw clockwise until the eng. begins to misfire,then turn it out a 1/2 turn. The meter is more exact but if the dist. and rotating cam lobes are not worn the dwell should fall in the range.Good luck,hope this helps.There,i saved ya 185 buckeroos.:sign0020::anim_25:
Big Bob:flag4::bowtier:

·
Administrator
66,151 Posts
Back to the meter, dont throw it out just yet, try cleaning the contacts where the batteries went you`ll be suprised that you can bring it back from the dead.

I still run points, they have so far been very reliable for me & easy to adjust.

The only problem is that as I get older it gets harder to squeeze all the way back to the firewall to do the adjustments.

·
Registered
11,214 Posts
Bill there must be 3 dozen on eBay for 6 bucks and up

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Nick, haven't even thought to look there. Only thing, I don't do PayPal, which hinders me some. I'll look though
Bill there must be 3 dozen on eBay for 6 bucks and up

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
what i have is a set in a metal case. it has a dwell meter a vac and fuel pressure gauge a voltage,regulater tester and i think ign. tester. going on vacation. be back saturday

·
Registered
12,124 Posts
Back to the meter, dont throw it out just yet, try cleaning the contacts where the batteries went you`ll be suprised that you can bring it back from the dead.

I still run points, they have so far been very reliable for me & easy to adjust.

The only problem is that as I get older it gets harder to squeeze all the way back to the firewall to do the adjustments.
Ang, you don't have to be old to have that problem :sign0020: Even I struggle :tu:tu

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I sent you a pm with my phone number, see if we can work out a deal when you get back from vacation. Have a good time.
what i have is a set in a metal case. it has a dwell meter a vac and fuel pressure gauge a voltage,regulater tester and i think ign. tester. going on vacation. be back saturday

1 - 13 of 13 Posts