Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This residential driveway gate is just worn out, corroded in two, bent up and the county is making major improvements on the road out front.

So it is time to get a new gate. I was thinking of a cantilever chain-link gate, but these fence folks prices are clearly out of line. No it's not sticker shock - it's Highway Robbery.

What are my best options?

·
Administrator
66,693 Posts
We have hardware stores that have pre fab gates made to standard sizes (custom must be ordered).

Worth a look as they come in different materials & designs, with removable lift off hinges.

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Gate

Can you please post a photo of what you have now for a gate. May trigger others thoughts and or ideas. Do you have a fab/welder friend or a Trifive member near you to assit. I have seen a lot of good fab/welders on this forum. Mike

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Are you looking for a light weight gate or something more fancy ? Where you located ? We have a company in Dallas called King Architechural metals..
http://www.kingmetals.com/Home.aspx
They carry all you need to build one. I built a really nice gate at my place for a reasonable price.

Not the best pic, but here is mine.... It operates via remote.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice gate but will not work here.

I live in a mixed-use barrio and believe a cantilever chain-link gate blends in the best. Finally got a quote over the phone for $2800. He almost had the sale, so I asked him to e-mail it and it went up $200 and without written specifications! :rolleyes: Now he lost a sale and has made me do my job and get multiple written quotes.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
$2800 DANG ! I would build, install and paint one like mine for $2800. Thats crazy money. I may have $350 in materials in that one I built. (excluding the opener) Perhaps I should make a few from my scraps and make some car cash.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
$2800 DANG ! I would build, install and paint one like mine for $2800. Thats crazy money. I may have $350 in materials in that one I built. (excluding the opener) Perhaps I should make a few from my scraps and make some car cash.
Yes. Highway robbery. But it is so high because I have some specific construction needs and it appears to be about the going rate based on others I've talked to. But now that I'm getting more quotes the real cost will become more clear.

BTW, I asked the salesman:
1) why his written quote was $200 higher than his verbal quote
2) why he was quoting for a house with the same number on a different road, and
3) why he was not itemizing my specific options in the quote

And he responded by telling me to take my business elsewhere.

Wise move.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts